KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Jack's Buddha pose?

Jack's Buddha pose?
Started by: LovelyOne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LovelyOne

Jack's Buddha pose?

Just a thought..why is Jack randomly doing that Buddha thing?..Buddists do that when they are trying to calm themselves and find piece of mind..and back then I doubt people from christian backgrounds would know anything about that..do you think its something he picked up living in Singapore at some point? Is that their Religion there? Buddhism I mean

Jack is SO deep as a character if thats the case..he's such an enigma lol..

Elizabeth is also looking over at him whilst he's doing that..although its not really obvious or anything..but she appears to be watching him.

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 21st, 2006 at 10:49 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2006 10:42 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Minie Mina
Lady Lara Croft

maybe he was doing some medatation to control his hornyness towards liz lol i dunno

Tomb Raider fanfiction: Heaven's Wrath

Old Post Sep 21st, 2006 10:44 PM
Minie Mina is currently offline Click here to Send Minie Mina a Private Message Find more posts by Minie Mina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

LMAO!! maybe!

But its just funny how he loves singapore and if that is their religion then it means Jack may have picked something up from there...we gotta remember this is before TV and stuff so he must have learned it face to face from a monk or something...and it also hints that Jack is rather spiritual.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2006 10:45 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Minie Mina
Lady Lara Croft

yea. maybe thats why he seems so calm and mostly uses his brains then violence. it is a mayor possibility. maybe we'll see that at the directors commentary for that scene

Tomb Raider fanfiction: Heaven's Wrath

Old Post Sep 21st, 2006 10:50 PM
Minie Mina is currently offline Click here to Send Minie Mina a Private Message Find more posts by Minie Mina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ibd4eva
Ivebeendepped 4 ever!

maybe hes just trying to clear his mind to find the chest....

"Get that out of my face." "It's not in your face, it's in my hand." "Get what's in your hand out of my face." <3 set by yours truly

Old Post Sep 21st, 2006 11:54 PM
ibd4eva is currently offline Click here to Send ibd4eva a Private Message Find more posts by ibd4eva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

yea I agree but back then people around British "owned" places didn't really know about that kind of spiritual technique unless he saw it face to face and someone told him..I have a feeling its a little hint about singapore and his time he spent there..if that is their religion there ...not saying Jack is religious but he might be spiritual..He's doing the whole thing..the hands and everything...I have a feeling someone might have taught him..maybe Sao feng lol..He's really scared about Davy (as the black spot has appeared) and he's having a bit of trouble with Elizabeth lol just before hand

It just adds this whole background story on to Jack and his past big grin..he's not really 1 dimensional and it seems as if Liz is realizing it..and I have a feeling she's going to learn that in the next movie 2..

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 11:49 AM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 11:43 AM
katelovespirate

haha i love that part. yeah Jack totally has some deep history with singapore... i mean in his line "clearly you've never been to singapore" you get the impression that he just visists once in a while, but the more hints come out, the more you start thinking, no way man, he's LIVED there for LONG STRETCHES of time before, lol.

speaking of which, is Jack meant to be 100% british, or was his father british and his mum asian or carib? or what? cause he sure doesnt look British! wink

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 12:05 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

yeah apparently he was born British colonial in India or something lol..

how can Liz not be drawn to his man?? He's an enigma..and I think Liz really is interested in him in that way (or she will be when she learns more in movie 3)..as if she's trying to figure him out..I think she's got closer than anyone else has so far

OMG I just realized!..Jack needs to return home with his elixir..and I bet he sees his home as singapore..and now his elixir is heading right there after him lol

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 12:18 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

When is the Buddha pose? Can you do a picture of it? I don't necessarily means Jack is a Buddhist, just that he is more open and accepting than most people of that time. Look how easily he accepts women on his ships (romantic partners at the time or not), he doesn't seem to make any distinctions as far as race or class go, and the whole reason he's a pirate in the first place is because he refused to transport slaves. He was ahead of his time.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 12:36 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

i dont think Jack is buddhist... i think he is ECLECTIC... and he has seen more of the world than most people, and is continuously wound up in legendary stuff like Davy Jones... so he's bound to be spiritual, though i doubt he's committed to one religion or anything.

he's WAY ahead of his time.

and he's half indian?!?! thats SO HOTTTTTT. Excuse me while i freak out about how hott that is. If Liz continues to go for the dork over this daring half indian rogue pirate, that will be completely non-believable and will ruin the movie. im sorry. i like will but he's a dork. WHO would WILLINGLY go after him when JACK is around? it doesnt make sense. its dumb. GEEEEE.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 03:03 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

nah he's not a buddist..I just think he has learned some of their traits..you dont have to be a buddist to meditate to feel calm..which is what I mean by spiritual..I just think he's picked up their technique in singapore possibly from a friend or something..you dont see medatation taught to british kids or people in church

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 03:47 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 03:44 PM
LovelyOne

heres a pic BTW:

(please log in to view the image)

and the clip..he actually has his eyes closed..also notice how when the swords are in a triangle (whilst all 3 men in Liz's life are there) there's a shot to establish Jack's being the only one pointing at her through Will.

"love triangle" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMIt04kheN4

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 04:01 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 03:53 PM
calypso

How many of you read in one of these threads my theory that Jack was the son of the governor of Singapore. I guess Willofthewisp did because she included some of my imagination on fanfiction. Jack has been a student of the world for a long time, but most of his gestures are COURTLY not feminine, hence his standing in society in England as a lad. It is not inconceivable that Jack learned calming technics from other cultures. I am just surprised that he has used rum as the base calming one, til the beach scene. it's like T/T said, "Jack is an ambivalent
character". So, they have written a character that no one can figure out. He is too much the chameleon.

I also said that he would probably retire from the sea with Elizabeth and be a land owner, with Will taking over the Royal Navy and heard alot of you say, "No, not good."

Jack has already been in the employ of EITC and refused to haul slaves, thus raising the ire of Lord Beckett, ultimately being branded a pirate. I do not see him ever accepting EITC under any circumstances, unless his early family background/fortune was in the orginal founding of the EITC. I hope Beckett gets his because those Letters of Marque were for Jack Sparrow, signed by King George, not Will or Norrington. As I have said before Beckett's deal with Liz/Will is a side deal to get Jack back in the EITC where someone other than Beckett wants him. Think about it, mates.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:02 PM
calypso is currently offline Click here to Send calypso a Private Message Find more posts by calypso Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

nope he wasnt born in singapore.

and it doesnt seem as if he was in a prim and proper upbrining as a lad..he appears to have been the rebel against that for much of his teenage life...traveling around alot on adventures.

---------------------------

Early life

Son of Captain Grant Sparrow.

According to the official Disney website and the game based on the film series, Jack Sparrow was born in British colonial India and was once employed by the East India Trading Company. He helmed the Wicked Wench, an EITC merchant vessel, performing odd jobs for Cutler Beckett. However, when Sparrow refuses to transport slaves and instead frees them in Africa, Beckett sanctions the torching (and sinking) of the Wicked Wench, and literally brands Jack Sparrow a pirate. Jack comes to embrace his outlaw status, becoming a successful pirate with no desire to return to life under the command of others. Later, Jack petitions Davy Jones to raise his ship from the ocean floor. He rechristens her the Black Pearl.

Disney Press began a book series for young readers in June 2006, chronicling Sparrow's adventures as a teenager. Written by Rob Kidd, the first three books follow Sparrow and a young, motley crew in a continuing search for the legendary Sword of Cortés. Along the way, they must battle pirates, ancient curses, sirens, and the power of the sea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Sparrow#Early_life

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 05:32 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:18 PM
katelovespirate

have i said lately how much i love Jack? seriously.

so you can imagine his daddy... a nice young captain in India, meets a pretty Indian lady, they get married and have kids... or just one kid... or maybe Jack has siblings??? (he seems like a middle or youngest child... def. not oldest unless he is an only child)

anyhow, his mom dies and he joins the EITC, fights the powers, ends up a pirate.

so was there a falling out between him and daddy? Did Captain Grant know Beckett? What caused Grant to become a pirate? Was Grant or Jack a pirate first? Are they on speaking terms?

I would imagine Grant knows Beckett then... right?

I cant wait till Beckett and Jack see each other again. Thats going to be INTENSE>

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:34 PM
LovelyOne

Katelovespirate I agree with you..I cant wait for them to meet up..I'm not sure his dad is a pirate..

I can imagine him leaving the pirate life to be with Elizabeth because it is drawing to a close..but maybe not the the sea all together..

I agree about the letters signed by the king though they were for Jack from the king right?. I get the feeling his father is probably in charge of some sort of naval something or other..and he maybe took his son around with him on the sea as a child..which may mean he has his prim and proper upbringing..but it seems as a teenager he cut losse and became a bit of a rogue laughing out loud

I can imagine Jack falling out with his dad because of the slave thing..

If I was Liz i would TOTALLY choose to go with Jack..so INTERESTING...Will is BORING...Jack could take her all around the world..show her things.. he'd get alot from that too lol someone to be with him on his journeys..ya jnow..he deserves it lol..

IMO she's going to show an interest in certain aspects of his past in movie 3

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 05:51 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:37 PM
katelovespirate

no way man, jack is branded for life. he's a pirate. him and the pearl are going to sail those seas forever. lol.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:38 PM
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

I think the whole Buddha pose is just to prove how random JAck Sparrow is....just comes to show that you never really know what crazy think he is going to do next!

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:41 PM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PirateDiva
I think the whole Buddha pose is just to prove how random JAck Sparrow is....just comes to show that you never really know what crazy think he is going to do next!

no back then people didnt just randomly do that kind of thing...its not like today where we all know about what to gain from medatation..from TV, books etc..he must have been taught it by someone in Singapore I checked it out and buddism is their main religion..Jack seems to adore the place..and thats where movie 3 is set smile

"Religion in Singapore

Most Singaporeans celebrate the major festivals associated with their respective religions. The variety of religions is a direct reflection of the diversity of races living there. The Chinese are predominantly followers of Buddhism, Taoism, Shenism, Christians, Catholics and some considered as 'free-thinkers' (Those who do not belong to any religion). Malays have the Muslims and Indians are Hindus. There is a sizeable number of Muslims and Sikhs in the Indian population."

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/abou...nd-language.htm

back when PotC was set..it was mainly chinese people there.

Last edited by LovelyOne on Sep 22nd, 2006 at 06:01 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 05:58 PM
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

I stand corrected...lol!big grin

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2006 06:04 PM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote