KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » potc is a melodrama

potc is a melodrama
Started by: katelovespirate

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
katelovespirate

Arrow potc is a melodrama

sadly I am in university right now, which means i get to research lots of junk that has nothing to do with real life.

however, I am doing a presentation on the melodramatic theatre and art form, and its interesting to note that Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is on the top of the popular movies list that follow a typical melodramatic pattern. perhaps this will assist us in how we look at 3.

some basic requirements of the melodramatic show/film:

1. melodrama appeals to the audience on the basis of ACTION... the characters generally do not THINK, they DO. hence, they often find themselves in very strange and difficult predicaments.

2. the PLOT is not the strong point of a melodrama. It takes a backseat to getting the characters into outrageous situations that the audience cant imagine them escaping from... but of course they do.

3. there is a basic premise of morality in which all melodramas celebrate the plight of the poor man, and condemn big business or authority.

4. music is used to heighten emotional tension. each character has their own theme, which plays when they enter or are being spoken of.

5. melodramas are sentimental and optimistic. they pan out like a GAME... they build suspense, tension, surprise, but dont generally have a lot of substance. it does not flow in a steady progression but rather has peaks of action.

6. Endings always contain arbitrary scenes of poetic justice. couples are paired off, villains get what they deserve, the good guys triumph.

7. Here is the layout of the essential characters in a melodrama:

-Hero (generally poor or underpriviledged)
-Heroine (upper class, but in some way considered the victim.)
-the comic (usually ethnic in some way, he is the highest paid member of the company, and the most loved)
-soubrette (the working girl with good manners who is devoted to the heroine)
-villain
-villain's sidekick (their assistant who they usually kill off towards the end)
-heavy woman (heavy here having an emotional rather than physical connotation)
-light comedy characters (lower class people who provide comic relief)

there are more, but these are the basics. i think its very clear to pinpoint each other these characters in POTC.

my point of posting all this info is that though writers seldom follow a strict melodramatic pattern anymore, the WHOLE premise of POTC EXACTLY fits the basic structure of a melodrama. To turn tables last minute and end it as a tragedy (which has a completely different structure and character pattern) would be bogus. it wouldnt work.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:08 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

by the way, i typed this all straight out of my book... just so you know it really does fit POTC perfectly and I didnt bend any info.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:10 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

this just makes me more bitter about PotC..I didnt pay to se this shit lol

I thought Jack was gonna get her..but I guess he's just the comic who's feelings get trampled on

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:10 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LovelyOne
this just makes me more bitter about PotC..I didnt pay to se this shit lol

I thought Jack was gonna get her..but I guess he's just the comic who's feelings get trampled on

don't feel bitter.

like i said, they apparantly threw out the ending pattern and are switching over to tragedy. which means anything goes.

plus they played with the lines in 2. Jack acted more as the hero than the comic in 2, IMO.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:13 PM
LovelyOne

I dont find it funny that Jack fell in love with Liz became brave enough to protect her and then got shat on from her "royal ass"

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:13 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shannstar79
Jack's Girl

do you think that Liz has no feelings for Jack, I truly think she does
I dont think its over between them by any means

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:15 PM
shannstar79 is currently offline Click here to Send shannstar79 a Private Message Find more posts by shannstar79 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

remember in Princess Bride, Inigo? He was a side character with a task of finding his father, while the real hero (Westley) braved hell and high water for Buttercup.

Now Will embodied the hero (albeit a clumsy one) in 1, but in 2, he veered off course and Jack took over the protection and saving of Elizabeth.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:15 PM
LovelyOne

he always does..Will never saved her life once lol

AARGHH thats just pissed me off even more now lol

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:18 PM
shannstar79
Jack's Girl

yep your right Will has always set out to save her but never has, Its always been jack who has saved her and her whom has saves jack
Wild

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:20 PM
shannstar79 is currently offline Click here to Send shannstar79 a Private Message Find more posts by shannstar79 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

why? i am sorry i didnt mean to piss anyone off.

i meant to bring hope that they will have an ending with poetic justice and happy people.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:20 PM
shannstar79
Jack's Girl

girl I am not pissed of at all, I enjoy talking about all of this I am just happy I have people to talk about it with my friends think I am nuts because I love this stuff smile hehehe

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:22 PM
LovelyOne

no lol just the thought of the fact Jack has always been the more deserving one of her..He saves her all the time and they are ending it Will/Liz..T&T are cold man..he deserves her so much..I mean he's obviously never been properly loved by anyone and he really does care for Elizabeth

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:22 PM
shannstar79
Jack's Girl

yes he does care about her, and thats what is sad, I hate to see jacks feeling for her put out there for all to see and then be crushed when and if she marries will on AWE

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:27 PM
katelovespirate

dude, they are killing will. i wouldnt exactly call that ending it will/liz. but i havent read the script, i dont know what the connotation of that all is... confused

plus, i am not sure, but i think i might rather will and liz end up together than will just die. i dont want him to die. sad i wish there was a way for all 3 of them to be happy. and i think there is, too. its obvious. Liz and Jack, Will saves his dad and ends friends with Liz. big grin pretty clear to me.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:31 PM
LovelyOne

He doesnt dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee laughing out loud

thats why I'm pissed off the most..Jack is the main character..they have shown the main character fall for a girl..and the girl leaves him.If this was just to show the audience what a relationship with Jack could look like but still end it where he is alone..I think they are ****ing stupid

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:34 PM
katelovespirate

oh gee i dont know what to say.

i have LOVED all of t and t's previous films. in most ways i trust them.

i think they know what they are doing.

i HOPE they know what they are doing.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:36 PM
LovelyOne

its funny how they always make the girl end with the rogue..who thought his life was perfect until he sees what he's missing..

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:37 PM
katelovespirate

yeah. seriously. now is not the time to break that mould, because its a time honored tradition and the best loved way to end things. big grin

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 07:48 PM
LovelyOne

makes sense of what elton John says in my siggy

that theme can be matched in with Zorro, Aladdin, and Shreck

what happened at the end of Zorro 2?

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 08:07 PM
katelovespirate

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LovelyOne
makes sense of what elton John says in my siggy

that theme can be matched in with Zorro, Aladdin, and Shreck

what happened at the end of Zorro 2?

zorro two wasnt as good as one... but it was okay.

elena and alejandro are married with a kid, but alejandro's constant need for fame and attention really bother elena. she eventually kicks him out of the house, and meanwhile she gets roped into spying for the us government or they will kill alejandro. in order to spy on this bad guy, she has to pretend to seduce him, and her employers also make her divorce alejandro.

she sends him divorce papers and looks like a tramp as she tries to seduce this other man who is a total scumbag, but eventually she and alejandro end up in this super hott swordfight in which she explains why she was doing all that but she still thinks they shouldn't be together... which alejandro responds to by grabbing her and making out with her.

lots of drama goes down, but they survive and remarry and end the movie in a hott kiss, as usual.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2006 08:59 PM