KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Stuarts Questions

Stuarts Questions
Started by: dobbo049

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dobbo049

Question Stuarts Questions

hey
im new here so hello everyone smile
i have a few questions about dead mans chest and at worlds end, things that i cant seem to work out for myself but hopefully some people on here will be able to answer some of them, some of them are a little stupid and you probably just have to use your emageonation for but i was wondering if there was any real answers.

1. In dead mans chest, will plays a game on the flying dutchman, his plan is to find out where the key is so he could steal it and escape, but he does not intend on his father joining in, nor does he entend on winning, but surely if he did loose, he could not have escaped the flying dutchman with the key because he would have been bound to it untill he worked off the years or the captain was killed?

2. Whats the black spot all about? im guessing its just a mark to show that the person who has it that davey jones is after you? is this correct or is there more to it than that?

3. This links between dead mans chest and at worlds end, when jack is killed is he in davey johns locker? or is he somwhere else? jack appears to be on his own untill the crew of the black pearl join him? why isnt anyone else who died at sea there also? is it to do with the way they died? or am i missing somthing out here any they arnt dead atall?

4. This im sure is a different story but somthing im still interested in, how did davey jones come to command the kracken? becasue it wasnt part of his job?

5. Davey jones crew are undead so they can survive underwater because they are all bound to the dutchman with their years of service, when will is put on board he is not bound to the dutchman so he does not have any years, therefore he can leave. But he is not undead, so when the crew goes underwater surely he cant go with them?

6. What happenes if davey jones sets foot on land more than once in 10 years?

7. How could davey jones have fallen in love with a godess, surely they cannot possibly have had a relationship? especially when she 100 foot tall?

8. If Tia Dalma/Calipso and davey Jones where in love, why did she give him the job in the 1st place? its hardly a good thing to ferry souls to the afterlife and see the one you love once every ten years, surely it was better before he had the job?

any help would be appreciated
thanks
stu

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 11:26 PM
dobbo049 is currently offline Click here to Send dobbo049 a Private Message Find more posts by dobbo049 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

Miz Dobbo049, well hello piratista and hell, I'd say you got questions--so glad you come to this place to ask and boy, are you gonna get answers cos this krewe loves nothing better on the planet except for meeting Johnny Depp, than chewing the fat about what's what and who's who in any one of the movies. Glad you thought to join us, I'm Texxy, (Godiva in Texas, chocolate! yes). I get to pick and I choose question number two.

There's a couple of short answers about the black spot. The black spot was a traditional way to notify your enemy that he was in trouble with you. The fact that it appears mysteriously on Jack's palm is a little twist from the authors to show how Davy Jones is all magical mystical and can just reach out and touch someone without having to actually send them a piece of paper with a mark on it. Mostly regular pirates couldn't read and write so just the spot.

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Jan 16th, 2008 11:41 PM
texgodiva2s is currently offline Click here to Send texgodiva2s a Private Message Find more posts by texgodiva2s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Welcome! I hope you stick around and enjoy lovin' this trilogy. I'll try to help out on some of these.

1. In dead mans chest, will plays a game on the flying dutchman, his plan is to find out where the key is so he could steal it and escape, but he does not intend on his father joining in, nor does he entend on winning, but surely if he did loose, he could not have escaped the flying dutchman with the key because he would have been bound to it untill he worked off the years or the captain was killed?

A: From what I understand, Will has figured out that Jack wants the key to unlock the chest that holds the heart. Even if he does lose and has to serve, he is counting on Jack to find the chest and get on the Dutchman. Jack is clearly banking on this too because he changes focus from the key to the chest after Davy Jones won't release Will. Jack then figures he needs to get the chest and then meet up with Will somehow.

2. Whats the black spot all about? im guessing its just a mark to show that the person who has it that davey jones is after you? is this correct or is there more to it than that?

Tex answered this one "spot-on," ha ha ha ha. I'm a nerd, btw.

3. This links between dead mans chest and at worlds end, when jack is killed is he in davey johns locker? or is he somwhere else? jack appears to be on his own untill the crew of the black pearl join him? why isnt anyone else who died at sea there also? is it to do with the way they died? or am i missing somthing out here any they arnt dead atall?

Davy Jones' locker is like a personal hell. Tia Dalma describes it as a place where your worst fears are a reality. This would mean that every person has their own personal locker. It is unique that Jack's is isolated, possibly showing he is afraid to be completely alone. He is also landlocked even though he has his ship, which is just taunting him.

4. This im sure is a different story but somthing im still interested in, how did davey jones come to command the kracken? becasue it wasnt part of his job?

Don't know.

5. Davey jones crew are undead so they can survive underwater because they are all bound to the dutchman with their years of service, when will is put on board he is not bound to the dutchman so he does not have any years, therefore he can leave. But he is not undead, so when the crew goes underwater surely he cant go with them?

Does it go underwater with him on it? I'm not sure. If it does, I really don't know the answer to this one. Maybe there is a water-tight area where no water could get in?

6. What happenes if davey jones sets foot on land more than once in 10 years?

A: Davy Jones is physically unable to step on land. It's like saying we can fly. It just can't happen. If he tried, I bet there would be something like a gust of wind that would blow him back in the water. That's why he has to get creative with the buckets.

7. How could davey jones have fallen in love with a godess, surely they cannot possibly have had a relationship? especially when she 100 foot tall?

A: There are hundreds of stories from all cultures about a god/goddess falling in love with a human. What usually happens in them is that the human is made immortal. Read Eros/Psyche, Ishtar/Gilgamesh for reference. A lot of times, though, it doesn't work out because the human does something stupid. Calypso is a sea goddess so it would be interesting to know just how she and Davy met up and fell in love, but she made him the captain of the Dutchman so he could be an immortal creature and they could be together.

8. If Tia Dalma/Calipso and davey Jones where in love, why did she give him the job in the 1st place? its hardly a good thing to ferry souls to the afterlife and see the one you love once every ten years, surely it was better before he had the job?

A: Well, Davy would be immortal this way, so they would never be separated by death, and she is the goddess of the sea. Notice in AWE how Davy closes his eyes and savors the raindrops on his face. That's because those are her. So in a way, they would be together all the time if he had stayed the captain. She would just appear on land in a human form every 10 years so they could have sex and that kind of thing.
I hope these help.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 12:36 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dobbo049

Thanks very much for your answers big grin
so just one or two that still need answering

theres still parts of the locker i dont understand, iv been told "davey jones locker" is an idiom for the bottom of the sea, when jack is killed he goes into his own little hell (as you put it), and that everyone else who dies at sea goes to their own, but barbosa was easy to resurect because he was "only dead", so according to tia dalma "jack is suffereing a fate worse that death", a type of punnishment, so surely not everyone has their own, everyone who jus dies goes somwhere else? i assume thats where all the boats are heading but where are they going? and jacks crew arnt due to suffer a fate worse than death so how is it they got to jack? is this somthing to do with the way they died?

question 4. id still like to know if anyone has the answer

in question 5......no it dosnt go underwater with will so far as i know, but if they had to, surely that wouldnt stop davey jones, i think its all part of them being undead that they can survive underwater, becasue you see when the crew walk underwarter that that island.

i have another one, if will can survive as a human on the dutchman while its floating, then surely elizabeth can when will is the captain, surely if she was sailing the sea and saw his ship she could just go aboard? or is this that the ship isnt supposed to resurface, being how davey jones failed to do the job?

thanks again big grin
stu

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 08:45 AM
dobbo049 is currently offline Click here to Send dobbo049 a Private Message Find more posts by dobbo049 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
freek

hey all

this is my first time in the potc section so be gentle stick out tongue

to take a stab at 4. This im sure is a different story but somthing im still interested in, how did davey jones come to command the kracken? becasue it wasnt part of his job?

this could be related to the fact that davy jones corrupted himself and his crew. instead of simply ferrying the dead he began to kill. the kraken was according to legends an ancient sea monster. since both were now creatures of the sea and the kraken desired sustenance while davy jones was somewhat loony, vengeful and murderous they made a good pair. assuming the kraken is sentient they could have made an agreement. or maybe it was just like a puppy and followed him round till someone went: "he followed me home...so...can we keep him?"

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 10:30 AM
freek is currently offline Click here to Send freek a Private Message Find more posts by freek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dobbo049

that makes sence, thanks big grin
just a couple more now then any ideas anyone?
thanks
stu

Old Post Jan 17th, 2008 10:47 AM
dobbo049

havent been on here for a while
but im still intreaged to understand the locker
theres soooooo much i dont understand so sorry if i have so many questions lol, i just cant get it to link up so i realy need some good help big grin
im just gonna write some stuff, let me know if you aggree/dissagree or having somthing to add or answer

the locker is an idiom for the bottom of the sea?

from what i understand everyone jones kills at sea goes there?

the locker isnt where the souls of the people who died where supposed to go if jones had of done the job he was supposed to?
they would have gone somwhere else?

surely the locker should be filled with the people jones killed? but the only one there is jack untill his crew arrive?

as explained earlier jack was in a locker made of HIS fears, so its just him there, so how come his crew all made it into his one? and no one elses?

also the black pearl was destroyed by the cracken, but in the locker its fine, how come the black pearl was repaired and barbosas ship was destroyed and remains destroyed?

and the souls you see under the sea? do they belong to the people in the boats? if so where were the souls going? and where were the people going? if they all died at sea why arnt they on their own like jack was?

thanks guys
Stu

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 07:42 PM
Tramps Lady
Blaine

"as explained earlier jack was in a locker made of HIS fears, so its just him there, so how come his crew all made it into his one? and no one elses?"

this is probably because no one want to save him, and no one knew where his locker would have been? i dont know, just an assumption:P

"also the black pearl was destroyed by the kracken, but in the locker its fine, how come the black pearl was repaired and barbosas ship was destroyed and remains destroyed?"

well i would know the certain answer to this, but two guesses...i havent watched DMC in ages, but when the kracken takes down the pearl, did it take it down in one gulp? there fore not being damaged....
...OR...
maybe because Jacks Fear is being alone...and possibly something to so with why the pearls there? i know..i cant be of much help...lmao

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 07:52 PM
Tramps Lady is currently offline Click here to Send Tramps Lady a Private Message Find more posts by Tramps Lady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

"the locker is an idiom for the bottom of the sea? from what i understand everyone jones kills at sea goes there?

the locker isnt where the souls of the people who died where supposed to go if jones had of done the job he was supposed to?
they would have gone somwhere else?

surely the locker should be filled with the people jones killed? but the only one there is jack untill his crew arrive?

as explained earlier jack was in a locker made of HIS fears, so its just him there, so how come his crew all made it into his one? and no one elses?

also the black pearl was destroyed by the cracken, but in the locker its fine, how come the black pearl was repaired and barbosas ship was destroyed and remains destroyed?

and the souls you see under the sea? do they belong to the people in the boats? if so where were the souls going? and where were the people going? if they all died at sea why arnt they on their own like jack was?

thanks guys"------Dobbo

Okay, (cracks knuckles) That's a lot of questions. From what I understand, in our real world, Davy Jones' Locker refers to a death at sea. The writers of POTC decided to expand on this and make Davy Jones an actual being and change some of the mythology surrounding him.

Davy Jones, after being chosen by Calypso, took people that died at sea and transported them to the afterlife. After 10 years of doing this, he expected to sea Calypso again [the writers are unclear as to whether this means he gets one day with her or if he would have been free if she had been there] The point is, Calypso ditched him and this broke Davy's heart. He carved out his heart because he felt it was better to feel nothing than to feel love again and be hurt. He then corrupted his job. Instead of taking the dead people to the afterlife, he kept them on the Dutchman and made them serve on his ship, becoming a part of it the longer they were there. If someone pissed him off or didn't fulfill an oath, they were sent to the Locker.

The Locker is a place where your worst fears are a reality. There has to be an individual Locker for everyone because people fear different things. It could be a whole college thesis on why Jack's Locker is the way it is. I would think if the crew was able to get to him, maybe there is only one entrance and exit to the Locker, but Jack can't see anyone else there. Plus they have Calypso with them and she could make it so they would reach Jack. I would also guess that the Pearl is in great shape in the Locker to taunt Jack. He has a beautiful ship that he loves and he can never sail on it. He fears being confined and seeing his ship there would just be salt in an open wound.

Ooh, I never thought about the souls drifting in the water. I would think with Davy Jones under the control of Beckett (who has the heart), he can't go out and pick souls up anymore, so they are kind of on their own. That's why Tia is crying when she sees them. She handpicked a guy to make sure that sort of thing wouldn't happen. They'll probably find the afterlife on their own. If not, Will will be able to pick them up and take them, so it's not hopeless for them.

Will is only able to survive on the Dutchman because he swore no oath. He's not bound to the ship. However, Davy also avoids taking souls to the afterlife. This is why Elizabeth can't go. If she were living/mortal and went to the aferlife, she would die. I hope this helps. I'm trying to piece it together myself.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2008 11:27 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dobbo049

thanks that makes alot more sence big grin

i know theres been lots of debate over wether will gets to stay after 10 years if elizabeth is there, just wanted to say my opinion and see what other people think and have to add to it.

I think wether elizabeth is there or not Will must continue with the job

firstly it says this in the back of the DVD booklet
and secondly there will always be people who die at sea, so there will always be somone who is needed to do the job

"..the dutchman MUST have a captain..."

so i think the ONLY way wills job will ever finnish is if somone else stabbs the heart and takes his place.

thats jsut what i think so feel free to comment

thanks again for your help guys
GREAT film big grin

stu

Old Post Feb 9th, 2008 09:39 AM