KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » USH'S Game- The 'Truth Behind the Mausoleum of Demnos' thread- leave your thoughts!

USH'S Game- The 'Truth Behind the Mausoleum of Demnos' thread- leave your thoughts!
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S Game- The 'Truth Behind the Mausoleum of Demnos' thread- leave your thoughts!

Since Episode III players have had the story behind Kuylen's big target, the Mausoleum of Demnos, thrust in their faces. The story as provided is deliberately ambiguous and doubted- with good reason- by modern day scholars.

Whilst Avalar was a semi-myth that Kuylen proved existed- rather like Troy- the Mausoleum of Demnos- in SOME form- was known to exist for certain. But the Jedi never found it, and any Sith who ever saw it is long dead. Hence whilst there has been much debate about it, there can be no proof of what it is one way or another.

I will provide again the story of the Mausoleum here. What I would like players to do, just for fun, is to makes guesses- educated or otherwise- on what they think the truth of it is! And then we can compare at the end.

-

Thousand of years ago, whilst the Sith were at the height of their power, millennia before the final Sith War, Darth Bane, and Avalar, there was a powerful, mighty and feared Sith Lord named Darth Demnos. His Sith army- the Cult of Demnos- was one of the most dangerous threats the Galaxy ever faced.

One day, Demnos came to a world, and there he built his own final resting place, his tomb- his Mausoluem. And there Darth Demnos ended his own life, committing suicide. But such was his power with the Force, that when he ended his own life he became spiritually 'one' with the structure of the Mausoleum, and the Mausoleum, cloaked in the power of the Sith, faded from sight.

The Cult of Demnos endured, with the Mausoleum as their headquarters. And the story went that if anywhere there was a Sith novice without a Master, then that Sith could venture to the Mausoleum, and if he were truly interested in completing his training, then the Mausoleum would reveal itself to him, and he would enter and find the instruction he sought.

-

Now, modern experts in the field consider this story as nonsense. The idea that a mighty Sith Lord, at the peak of his power and influence, would actually kill himself as part of a selfless act designed to aid others is patently ridiculous- it is against the very nature of the Sith. And whilst the Force holds many mysteries, there is never any known instance of the Force actually being able to act like a cloaking device on a physical structure!

Therefore, today's historians believe the most likely scenario is that Demnos was murdered by his own apprentice- as is the Sith way- and that this apprentice used Demnos' name as a rallying point to continue the strength of the Cult of Demnos. As for the invisible Mausoleum, this is most likely allegorical- the Sith have always been hard to sense and find, as indeed the Mausoleum never was. However, of course, even the most prideful historians admit that this is only speculation, and that the truth will most likely be never known.

-

The theory, therefore, is that Kuylen and his followers, having received a basic grounding in the Sith from the information they stole from Avalar, will be accepted by the Mausoleum and they will complete their training inside. But if Kuylen knows more than he is letting on, he is keeping quiet about it, and the Dark Side players are as much in the dark as anyone.

However, the following 100% true facts will now be revealed:

- The Mausoleum does exist

- It IS on the planet at the co-ordinates players have received

- Whatever the truth, the Sith themselves considered the Mausoleum important LONG after the Cult of Demnos ceased to exist. Because the Astrolabe contains the readings for Avalar AND the Mausoleum. As Avalar was 'only' built just over a thousand years ago, and as the Astrolabe only contains the most vital of locations, it means that even in the final Sith war- when that Astrolabe must have been built- the Sith Lords wanted to know where the Mausoleum was. So there must be SOMETHING there!

- As explained in my little preview, the Jedi are, for some reason, so scared of the Mausoleum being found that they deliberately destroyed all possible means of doing so.

(And no-one ever asked Ascar where he got his Astrolabe from... oh well! Maybe you guys will meet him again one day...)

So then, let's hear your ideas on the truth!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jan 29th, 2004 at 10:53 PM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 02:04 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

We all assumed he found the Astrolabe while digging on a Sith world or crap like that...though he probably stole it from the Jedi Archives when he left the Order or something.

I'm not sure. The Mausoleum could just be a big fancy building built by the Sith, but then again, the myths could be true...

In any case, I'm going to kill people and Jedi with Sith powers or no Sith powers, I'm content. evil face

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 02:37 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

If it had been in the Jedi Archives it would not work. It isn't actually important where he got it from, though.

Would a Sith building of a long-dead Sith Lord of no relevance to the Sith in the last Sith war have made its way on to the Astrolabe, if all it was was a building, is something to think about there, Rex.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 02:42 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I've got it! The Sith were HOPING the Jedi would find these coordinates, and the Mausoleum is actually a giant booby trap for the Jedi weaklings! WAHAHAHAHA!!! Umm... Nevermind... wink

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 05:53 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

well...you said it does exist....so something is there. Maybe a few old rumours flourished the situation a bit to exagerate some parts, don't know.
There might be this, though.
The mausoleum won't simply show itself at us (if those parts are true) because we know what we've read of the avalar tablets and want to be real siths. maybe there are some more extreme testings.
...and kuylen betrays us. and we find out and have to deal with it. dunno..i'll think more about it

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 07:44 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Oh so just BLOW OFF my theory, EH?!

I'm APPALLED!!!!

I'm DISGUSTED!!!!!!

I'm... VERY, VERY HUNGRY!!!!! laughing out loud

Naw, I don't care, no hard feelings, Dexxy m'boy.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 07:49 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Both of those are very good theories. I hope the part about Kuylen blowing us off doesn't happen though, even though that is very Sith-like.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 11:01 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

What do people think happened to Demnos?

BtVS

Old Post Sep 25th, 2003 11:05 PM
REXXXX
Networking

It is more likely to me that his apprentice killed him and took his name, rather than he committed suicide. Unless he was a very eccentric Sith Lord...

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 03:21 AM
Baylin
Back in story!

The spirit of Exar Kun became tied to the Massassi temple on Yavin 4 and yet Luke didnt sense it until it was nearly too late. Therefore I would have thought it possible that Demnos has done the same thing. Whether through suicide or murder he had enough skill to tie his spirit to the mausoleum.
I don't think it's strictly invisable but mearly hidden from view. If you go seeking in the right place and maybe pass a test of worthiness then Demnos will reveal himself. Because light siders would not pass the test they will never find it and non-force sensitives would be oblivious it anyway.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 11:46 AM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Sounds about right....

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 02:26 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Whilst it is coincidence that it turned out that the EU had a old Sith doing a similar thing as to the plot my brother came up with (which he always trieds to make as a big a Star Wars style cliche as possible), you may note that he and I are always pretty happy to accept EU references in our game (as opposed to discussion of the films), with a few common sense exceptions. Like the Ysalamiri.

So yes, Demnos's legend has precedent. But is it a self-fulfilling precedent- Exar did it, so people said Demnos did too? Ooh, now I am playing with you...

BtVS

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 04:07 PM
Baylin
Back in story!

Hey you asked for our thoughts, well I dont have many so please be gentle with them confused

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 04:33 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

quote:
Originally posted by Captain REX
It is more likely to me that his apprentice killed him and took his name, rather than he committed suicide. Unless he was a very eccentric Sith Lord...

highly unlikely..what kind of a legendary sith lord would he be, then? smile

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 07:26 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

A very eccentric one... stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 11:26 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Darth Pointless?

BtVS

Old Post Sep 26th, 2003 11:30 PM
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

What if Demnos simply, kinda, sortof, like did kill himself.........to preserve himself type thing, and the WORTHY sith that comes in will get possesed by his spirt. And then he will raise another army, and there will be a new sith order. blink

What is this I don't even

Old Post Sep 27th, 2003 07:21 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

Good idea Cels it could be that's how he's become immortal. By giving himself over to the force and then possesing the bodies of would be followers he can live forever without becoming old and wrinkly like Palpatine...

Old Post Sep 27th, 2003 07:53 AM
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Llaughing out loudL Plpatine should use some Nivea revitalising lotion stick out tongue

Yeah, that way he can do more damage through out time, every darksider that descovers the mossuleam is obviously worthy, thus he can posses them, do his dirty work, and then go back to the mossulean to wait for another that is wothy,

What is this I don't even

Old Post Sep 27th, 2003 07:56 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 27th, 2003 08:08 AM