KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » STAR WARS: RETROSPECTION- Diplomacy

STAR WARS: RETROSPECTION- Diplomacy
Started by: REXXXX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
REXXXX
Networking

STAR WARS: RETROSPECTION- Diplomacy

Fest

In a dark room, a group of men stand around a table. A single glowlamp sits in the middle of it, casting a faint light across an old paper map. It is an architect's map of a very old structure.

The men are pointing out various points on the map- entryways, access tunnels, windows, etcetera. They are very familiar with the map by now, but they need to be sure.

"So we're agreed then," says one of the men. "It happens tomorrow."

There is a call of "Aye" all around the table. All of the men are dressed in curiously well-designed blast armor, and armed just as well.

"What are we going to do once we get what we're after?" asks another.

"We make our demands," says another. "We get what we want. Equal treatment under the law, and protection from the schemes of the rich. For freedom!"

"For freedom!" say they all.

-

Welcome to "Diplomacy," a game from the Retrospection series. These games are meant to provide a fun plot based upon the backgrounds of player characters, while giving players themselves a chance to gain experience- both in points and in practice with the system. This time, Retrospection takes a look at the scholarly Jedi Knights known as Jelena Bendu, a linguistics and languages expert, and Jovan Wiecko, a man well-versed in alien cultures and the ways of the Galaxy.

Both Scholars are currently developing themselves to adapt to dangers they encounter on their missions abroad, and Jelena has a Padawan to look after. But their backgrounds are very solidly in diplomatic relations, having the social talents required of being a successful negotiator on a galactic level.

It is for these talents that the Jedi Council will be requesting their presence, to help with a diplomatic breakdown on the frozen world of Fest...

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 06:41 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Coruscant

Rather typical of a Jedi Knight who is not on assignment, Jelena and Jovan are currently at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

The Council has arranged an appointment with the both of you. Though you have never worked together, you have heard of each other, having worked along similar diplomatic lines and leading parallel careers.

You both have some free time before the Council summons you, so you have a little free reign until then.

All that has been mentioned to you by Trorn, the Council's representative, is that there has been a breakdown in negotiations between Mantooine and Fest, and then some civil strife on Fest itself.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 06:44 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

As a true scolar, I would like to go to the archives to brush up on my knowledge of Mantooine and Fest.
Are they at war, how did the war start? What have they already tried and why did it fail? Which languages do they speak and are there customs I need to know so I don't upset them from the start?

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 08:01 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Jumping right into it, then! Access to the Archives means that Jovan does't have to roll for this information, he can just download it and read away.

Fest and Mantooine are not presently at war, but they have warred off and on over the centuries. Their skirmishes are usually brief, and usually end in some sort of uneasy truce or a battle in which neither side wins. It generally causes suffering for both sides and a rash of casualties. The reasons for initiating these pointless battles are myriad, normally relating to resources.

Mantooine is a moderately wealthy world concerned with the preservation of its own environment. As such, it finds no problem with squandering the resources of other worlds. The Mantooinians tend to be slightly xenophobic.

Fest is a frozen rock that is plentiful in mineral resources. The Festans are a rough sort, ruled over by a paranoid corporate entity that serves as their government.

The Mantooinians and the Festans hate each other actively.

As far as customs, safe to say that Jovan could carry himself accordingly! The Mantooinians are very calculating and shy, whereas the Festans are a little more rowdy and excitable.

As for languages, they can both speak Basic, though the Mantooinians pretentiously prefer to speak in their old dialect.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 09:35 PM
Brit
Duchess

Jelena is going to be reading up on the Mantooinian language and see if it is something she will be able to simulate.

Punch your lights out, hit the pavement
That's what I call entertainment
Causing problems makes you famous
All the silence makes a statement

Old Post Feb 28th, 2012 11:48 PM
Brit is currently offline Click here to Send Brit a Private Message Find more posts by Brit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Old Mantooinian shouldn't be too hard for you, Jelena. At the very least, it is composed of sounds that a normal human mouth can make (as opposed to, say, Wookiee or Geonosian languages). It is very lofty and soft sounding.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 05:41 AM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

would it be possible to master some basic sayings in those tongues?
It could help break the ice if it shows we have done some effort in understanding their culture and language.

James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 10:56 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Jovan can speak Old Mantooinian decently enough (says his Language roll). Jelena has a near-perfect handle on it, but you won't have to count on her by any means.

The Mantooinians dislike outsiders, but making the effort may make you look good here.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 07:12 PM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

What do you mean with "not have to count on her"? That I can pull along fine enough?

Are there habits I need to know? Slavery or something?

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 07:27 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Yes.

The Mantooinians don't do slavery these days. Not literally. Their government is more of an aristocracy that expects total fealty from the poor. They do occasionally steal resources from other worlds unapologetically.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2012 07:35 PM
Brit
Duchess

They are starting to sound like bad people.

Jelena will make sure to learn some phrases that she can use and become conversational with her old Mantooinian.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2012 07:56 AM
Brit is currently offline Click here to Send Brit a Private Message Find more posts by Brit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

If the Mantooinians have a problem, it is their sense of entitlement. But essentially, they are not overall unsavory like the Lamellans or Neimoidians tend to be made out to be.

Jelena will have zero problems with Old Mantooinian, that much is certain!

Old Post Mar 1st, 2012 09:08 PM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

I can't find anything else to think off what I should check out.
Perhaps recent history so I can already look up some major political players and how they behave?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 09:04 AM
Brit
Duchess

Maybe familiarize ourselves a little with past conflicts in greater detail? So that we know how they fight or what they fight with?

Jelena also wants to get to know some of the major political players. She'll be doing that when she gets to Fest/Mantooine of course. Better to know things ahead of time.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2012 06:31 AM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

yeah, who are the big players, what's their stand, what's their history?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2012 10:47 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Jovan can use his contact in the Senate to get some detailed information here.

Mantooine is an aristocracy that tries to pass itself off as a democracy. The wealthiest citizens of Mantooine generally spend explosive amounts of money on campaigns and bribes to keep themselves in power in their Parliament.

Mantooine is represented by Senator Vimus Nide-Fals, an intergalactic businessman with lots of investments around the Galaxy. He always votes in favor of acts that benefit his homeworld and is fairly unyielding.

Fest is controlled by a corporate entity called, simply, the Fest Corporation. They are responsible for all mining operations on the frozen planet as well as all distribution of resources. They are extremely paranoid about threats from the Festans and the Mantooinians.

The Festan representative is Senator Lobs. He is always pushing for defense contracts for Fest, trying to use Senate funding to support his goals.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2012 02:32 AM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

does this mean I have used my senatorial contact for the game already? sad

I'm out of ideas so I propose we just browse stuff till the Council summons us?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2012 08:58 AM
REXXXX
Networking

You can use your Senatorial contact as often as you like! He is someone that you have a connection with, and maybe know well.

That being said, feel free to start developing him as a character- right now, we just know that you have a contact in the Senate.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2012 09:26 AM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

I strategically want to wait with that till the moment I really need him/her/it and then accidently make him the head of the commission or something stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 6th, 2012 07:55 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Hah! A Contact is more just for information anyway, rather than being able to help you in a situation. It's Allies that can directly help.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2012 08:02 PM