KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Weight Training and Exercise Thread

Weight Training and Exercise Thread
Started by: John Murdoch

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
John Murdoch

Weight Training and Exercise Thread

Do we have a thread dedicated to discussing the different modalities of exercise and training? I'm a recreationally do powerlifting and forms of high intensity interval training (HIIT), and thought I would start a thread in which we could discuss

- preferred modalities of exercise
- training methods you personally use
- interesting training equipment and/or ideas
- questions on good gyms in certain areas (say, if I'm travelling to Chicago and want a good gym to train in for a week, where would I go?)

Things of that nature.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 12:41 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

i like compound exercises and prefer heavy over high reps. i don't know if its the right thing but i usually do 4 sets. first three i do 4-6 reps of heavy then the last set i burn out on lighter weights. I get a great pump from that.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2016 03:54 PM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

When you enter the gym make the iron fear you thumb up

edit: I lift weight that allows me to go for the standard 10x1. Of course i do a hell a lot more sets though. So far i have doing the basic isolation and compound movements, like curls and shoulder presses. My training schedule is quite basic, workout one day rest the next and so on from there.

WORD LIFE!!!

Last edited by TheHulk on Dec 1st, 2016 at 04:29 AM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2016 04:25 AM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

does that work? workout one day then rest the next. I don't think i've ever tried that regiment before.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 12:06 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

I usually follow something similar to this:

http://swoleateveryheight.blogspot....plified_13.html

Usually:

- Warm-up
- Warm-up sets on compound movement of the day (squat, deadlift, pressing, etc.)
- Working set(s) on said compound movement
- Other compounds movements and/or auxiliary exercises that focus on similar musculature
- Cool-down/stretching if I have time

Every once in awhile, I will do a full body routine if I know that I won't be in the gym the next day or two.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 12:44 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

http://www.roguefitness.com/hot-deals?icid=carousel

Thought I'd throw this in the thread: Rogue Fitness is doing their annual Black Friday-Christmas holiday deals on their site.

Garage Gym is good website to go to that keeps tabs on when fitness websites have sales going on: http://www.garage-gyms.com/

Note: Not trying to plug any website at all. If mentioning stuff from websites that do sales is a KMC no-no, it won't happen again.

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 12:46 AM
TheHulk
Retired Debater

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dynamix
does that work? workout one day then rest the next. I don't think i've ever tried that regiment before.
I guess i should have put more context. I actually have trouble sleeping, so i'm never getting that 8 or even 6 hour rest. That means my body really doesn't have that long hour rest it needs to repair itself to that's why i use that kind of routine. This is why we really should take peoples goals and situation to mind when thinking about what kind of routine suits best for them.

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 03:57 AM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by TheHulk
I guess i should have put more context. I actually have trouble sleeping, so i'm never getting that 8 or even 6 hour rest. That means my body really doesn't have that long hour rest it needs to repair itself to that's why i use that kind of routine. This is why we really should take peoples goals and situation to mind when thinking about what kind of routine suits best for them.

Two big thumbs up to this post. thumb up thumb up

Old Post Dec 4th, 2016 06:19 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Glad to see there is a thread for this now. I work in Physical Therapy, so I like to try to stay somewhat fit myself.

Lately I've been trying to use a variety of weights, but with a focus on eccentrics. It's supposed to be a good way to really build muscle.

Oh, and I've gotten back into swimming lately. I used to lifeguard and would swim pretty regularly. Now that I have a pool at my disposal again I have been going 3-4x/week to swim 1500-2000 meters. I fu#king love swimming!

I like this guy's YouTube channel. I think he has a lot of really good practical advice...

Old Post Dec 6th, 2016 07:06 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Glad to see there is a thread for this now. I work in Physical Therapy, so I like to try to stay somewhat fit myself.

Lately I've been trying to use a variety of weights, but with a focus on eccentrics. It's supposed to be a good way to really build muscle.

Oh, and I've gotten back into swimming lately. I used to lifeguard and would swim pretty regularly. Now that I have a pool at my disposal again I have been going 3-4x/week to swim 1500-2000 meters. I fu#king love swimming!

I like this guy's YouTube channel. I think he has a lot of really good practical advice...

Same here, Leech:

- Been stressing the eccentric phase (and pauses) more here lately; so far, so good.
- Swimming is great, great, great. I have a junior college natatorium available to meet those lap needs.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 12:21 AM
John Murdoch

What is the name of the YouTube channel if you don't mind Leech? At work and videos are blocked.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 12:22 AM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

ATHLEAN-X

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe...sQbE-MjuHXevj2A

I've never actually visited his website before, but it's https://athleanx.com/

Old Post Dec 7th, 2016 04:43 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

ATHLEAN-X

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe...sQbE-MjuHXevj2A

I've never actually visited his website before, but it's https://athleanx.com/

Gotcha, watched some of his content, solid stuff.

I pay attention quite a bit to guys like Bret Contreras, Chris Duffin, Cody Lefever, Johnny Candito, Maxx Chewning.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2016 09:03 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Does anyone on here do Fitocracy?

If so I'm Patient-Leech on there.

(please log in to view the image)

Attachment: fitocracy-logo1.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Dec 14th, 2016 05:18 PM
John Murdoch

Gonna give it a shot: John Murdoch.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2016 01:59 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

These days, I go for effectiveness in simplicity and brevity:

- clean & military press (moving a weight thru fullest range, open chain)
- chinups (moving body thru space, closed chain)
- brisk walking or stationary bike or jump-rope

Reps, sets, RBS and tempo vary ("instinctive" approach).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Dec 19th, 2016 at 02:08 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2016 01:57 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Gonna get an update in on my Fitocracy account. I've been training, but too busy with Christmas to get all my info entered.

Leveling up + working out = fun fun fun.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2016 09:14 PM
John Murdoch

Sled/Prowler work = fun and beyond exhausting at the same time.

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwen...rowler-workouts

Link goes to the website of Jim Wendler, the man who wrote 5/3/1.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 01:54 AM
John Murdoch

So caught gastroenteritis/stomach virus/most likely noravirus over the weekend. Any tips for getting back into the gym? I've been through it several times before, but planning on working with dumbbells for upper body lifts and mixing up my lower body stuff with other squat and deadlift variations.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2017 11:55 PM
John Murdoch

In case anyone is interested, the Nike Romaleos 3's just came out over the past week:

http://www.roguefitness.com/shoes/w...ting-shoes/nike

Old Post Feb 1st, 2017 12:38 AM