KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Dragonball franchise

Dragonball franchise
Started by: jalek moye

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Dragonball franchise

Couldn't find a thread for it, so here's i guess a general thread on everything in the dragonball franchise.

Really just wanted to post that there's a new dragonball z anime movie in the works.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...gon-ball-z-film

Thoughts on seeing a new dbz film?

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 04:56 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

DBZ still lives on! I'll be watching out for this new anime movie for sure!

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 06:30 AM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I'm suspecting that this movie will be just as poorly written and forgettable as the anniversary movie.

What's good about Dragon Ball are the world-threatening villains, and the ridiculous- power-ups and energy beams.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 12:54 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Is the anniversary movie the one with Vegeta's brother? I meant to see that but forgot all about it.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 12:47 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

Re: Dragonball franchise

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jalek moye

Really just wanted to post that there's a new dragonball z anime movie in the works.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 01:03 AM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

We all agree that they've gone past beating a dead horse and are now doing things to the horse which you can only find on the darkest pits of the internet?

Duplicate anime, meh movies, piles of games exactly the same as the last. I say they make something 100% new or just drop it.

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 11:00 AM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Has anyone checked out the Kai updated series?

i've watched some of of it and i like it.. except for Kid Gohan's new voice actor.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 01:23 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

I've seen it and I like it too. Too bad it doesn't go to the Buu saga.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 03:29 PM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by BloodRain
We all agree that they've gone past beating a dead horse and are now doing things to the horse which you can only find on the darkest pits of the internet?

Duplicate anime, meh movies, piles of games exactly the same as the last. I say they make something 100% new or just drop it.

DBZ isn't nearly as retched and pathetic as the mess Star Wars has become. Give it that at least.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 05:01 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

True, SW has trumped everything but the mass of games. Though SW still has canon going for it, while the last canon thing from DB was the mangas end in '95.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 05:09 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Well I don't know about that. Not counted them but I wouldn't wager there is a huge gap.

And man, who cares about the EU canon or whatever it is? I don't. What I do care about is my friend wasting money for a 4 hour crappy game. I could hear him silently weeping into his pillow the night he got FU II...and then beat it later that same night. :T

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 05:21 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
DBZ isn't nearly as retched and pathetic as the mess Star Wars has become. Give it that at least.

I wouldn't call Dragon Ball pathetic. You'll have your eventual cheesy movie or update every now and then. But that's what? Two or three times per decade? It's more for the fans than for the money.

I personally don't appreciate the new material, but I can respect the producers for putting it out.

The Star Wars movies on the other hand have gone through so many unnecessary edits and cuts to make money it's ridiculous. I feel bad for the fans for having to deal with it.

True, SW has trumped everything but the mass of games. Though SW still has canon going for it,

The canon stamp is just there to make money. It's not even put there by George Lucas from what I've read.

while the last canon thing from DB was the mangas end in '95.

The backstory Dragon Ball Online is supposedly canon.

Last edited by Astner on Jul 15th, 2012 at 06:04 PM

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 06:01 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

DB and SW need to die, but at least Lucasarts tries to make good games.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 06:06 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Zack Fair

The only reason we have a new Dragon Ball game every six months is because people buy them, which is stupid because the games are poorly made. It's almost as bad as with Fifa, Madden, NHL, and NBA.

I mean, who cares if they've added thirty new characters including Oolong's half-sister whom we've never heard of before, and Broly's new Super Saiyan 3.5 form?

And the worst thing is that the Dragon Ball setting has so much potential, and they waste it all on poorly programmed beat 'em up games.

The only decent Star Wars game I've played was Knights of the Old Republic. The other titles I've played are outright horrible. It's almost as if they expect the gamers to play their games just because of the franchise.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 06:23 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I agree. The DB universe has a lot of potential for video games, but for some reason they just never meet it. That reason probably being lazyness.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 06:37 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

The reason is that they don't have to. The fans are stupid enough to buy anything with Dragon Ball in the title. Why put money and effort to make a good game when it will sell regardless of it?

Back in the day a friend of mine bought Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout for $500 on ebay, and he then had to buy a PSX from the states just to pay it, it was a horrible game and the graphics were completely outdated at the time since the PS2 had been out for an entire year at that point. And he knew that the game received horrible reviews even before he bought it.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 06:51 PM
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

Forgot about DB:O being canon. Agree with its potential. Now their just glorified one-on-one fighting games. Tekken in space.

Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
Well I don't know about that. Not counted them but I wouldn't wager there is a huge gap.

And man, who cares about the EU canon or whatever it is? I don't. What I do care about is my friend wasting money for a 4 hour crappy game. I could hear him silently weeping into his pillow the night he got FU II...and then beat it later that same night. :T

..Holy crap.

6 movies, screw the rest. And your friend deserves those tears for purchasing

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 06:59 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Force Unleashed 2...what a clustter****

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 07:39 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Kai I felt was necessary. It fixed the worst things the original anime did, had some better voices (while some worse ones on the flipside) and dialogue, etc. As for movies I don't think they'll top the best of the them at this point (Bardock, Cooler, etc). Everything else I agree with you on completely, especially the latest games. Ugh.

Originally posted by Bro SMASH
I've seen it and I like it too. Too bad it doesn't go to the Buu saga.

I personally thought they did a service by skipping the Buu saga (which had the most fillers from what I remember), but I guess giving it the Kai treatment would've been better than putting GT back on the air at least.

Originally posted by Zack Fair

After Force Unleashed II and SW Kinect, "trying" to make good games is one of the last things I'd say for them. Kinda makes me want to replay Shadows of the Empire, one of the Rogue Squadrons, and some other decent older gen SW stuff.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 09:36 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Overall I see Dragon Ball Kai as a failed project. Mostly because it was poorly planned, so they never managed to get past the Cell arc. Which of course would come as a great disappointment for the fans who looked forward to collecting it.

They could've hired any Dragon Ball fan and he'd be able to divide arcs, and cover everything that's important in a 100 episode in an outlining script that he'd finish in a month, two months at the most.

I also don't see why they couldn't have reanimated it. In a style similar to what we saw in Ultimate Tenkaichi.

Because that style would definitely get the new generation into the series. Covering all three main arcs in 100 episodes, and then put out on Cartoon Network or whatever kids watch these days. It would definitely sell better than the Full-Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood crap we got.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 10:21 PM