KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Immortality

Immortality
Started by: Philosophicus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Immortality

Not everyone is forgotten after their death. We constantly refer to famous individuals from the past and discuss their contributions to the world and their theories. Such individuals have achieved immortality, where the latter is not physical, off-course, but intellectual or mental - their ideas and works live on. But then there are the mass of people who live, die and dissapear into oblivion because they left nothing of universal interest behind which would interest future generations. What was the meaning of their lives if no one is aware of them ever having existed, after they have been dead for a few hundred years to the extent that not even their distant progeny remember them? They might as well never have existed at all. That is why we strive towards achieving immortality in this sense - leave your mark or be forever forgotten.

What are your views on this?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 10:30 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
That is why we strive towards achieving immortality in this sense
we do?

well for those who have children passes on their genes to coming generation so in a sense they kind of are immortal through their descendants

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 10:36 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by finti
we do?

well for those who have children passes on their genes to coming generation so in a sense they kind of are immortal through their descendants

Well, some people do. If they have descendants at all - what about those who don't? Even if they do, their very distant descendants are likely not to be aware of who their predecessors were a long way down the line. And even if they do know, they might not even care who they were and never even talk about them. In my opinion one should be remembered not merely by your descendants, but by all future generations - that can only happen when you achieve fame through significant contributions you've made to the world - such as through art, music, philosophy, science, etc.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 10:44 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Not everyone can make those contributions to the world... sometimes the people who were forgotten are the people who were stepped on by the immortal in question... a rung on a ladder if you will

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 11:33 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Im going to give immortallity a try. I'll be immortal on a trial basis. If i like it, I'll take it up full time, otherwise I can choose not to continue with it.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 12:07 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Im going to give immortallity a try. I'll be immortal on a trial basis. If i like it, I'll take it up full time, otherwise I can choose not to continue with it.
and when you come out of la la land give us a holler

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 12:19 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

eleven, you're white sig is blinding my eyes - haven't got my snow skiing glasses here.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:10 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Immortality is a crutch for the insecure or frightened person. What do I care if the world remembers me? Does being remembered make a life worth living. Because Whitcomb L. Judson invented in 1893 how does that make his life worthy of more admiration than all the unkowns.

To strive to great heights and succeed only for the praise is meaningless. And who cares if you are remembered after death? You won't, you'll be dead.

Is it nice to be recognized when you accomplish something of merit, yes. But if you Need to be recognized, what you lack is not fame, but the desire for fame or validation.

Some people do great things because the moment required great things to be done. Some people do great things purely out of chance or circumstance. Some people do great things to achieve greatness.

One person did what they had to do, one person was lucky to do what they did, and the last person was just an attention whore.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:12 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, the great Nietzsche himself said that one should strive towards achieving greatness rather than goodness.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:33 PM
finti

great Nietzsche???

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:37 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

I thought you didn't care for Neitzche philo? In fact, didn't you say he was a bore?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:41 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

philosophy in general is a bore.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:46 PM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

I said Plato was a bore! Go look in my posts. Nietzsche was anything but a bore.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:55 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

My bad

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 01:59 PM
finti

Nietzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsche is a bore too

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:05 PM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

^ spelling mistake!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:15 PM
finti

nah, in Norway you need a doctors prescription to buy his stuff since all his work is considered and labeled as sleeping pills

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:27 PM
Filth

Its a nice theory but it apears to have gaps in it, as we know the world has been around for millions of years, but fame only seemed to arise at the birth of christ (which never happen btw) so the oldes fame we have is 2005 years (just lets not get tecnical) so does this mean in another 2000 odd years even the bible will be lost in time, in the end everything is lost so i sergest dont try to be what your not if you were ment for fame it will find you, you can not find it, sorry to rip you theory apart but this is mearly my opinion.

Dead on the inside and dieing on the outside...

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:28 PM
Filth is currently offline Click here to Send Filth a Private Message Find more posts by Filth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
but fame only seemed to arise at the birth of christ
then please explain the immortality of Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great and it s like then

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:32 PM
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Filth
Its a nice theory but it apears to have gaps in it, as we know the world has been around for millions of years, but fame only seemed to arise at the birth of christ (which never happen btw) so the oldes fame we have is 2005 years (just lets not get tecnical) so does this mean in another 2000 odd years even the bible will be lost in time, in the end everything is lost so i sergest dont try to be what your not if you were ment for fame it will find you, you can not find it, sorry to rip you theory apart but this is mearly my opinion.

Homer, the greek writer has been famous for 3000+ years - he wrote The Odysey and The Iliad.

Anyway, you're not ripping my theory apart - you are saying something completely indiferent to what I'm saying, and it's incoherent.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 02:34 PM