KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Puzzles & Paradoxes

Puzzles & Paradoxes
Started by: Storm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Puzzles & Paradoxes

The Island of Knights and Knaves

On the fictional island of Knights and Knaves, every inhabitant is either a knight or a knave. Knights are honest and virtuous, and always tell the truth. Knaves are base and shameful, and always lie.
A stranger comes to the island and encounters three inhabitants, referred to as A, B and C. The visitor asks A whether he' s a knight or a knave. Inhabitant A mumbles an answer the stranger cannot understand. B then says: "A said that he is a knave" while C says: "Don' t believe B, he is lying!"

It is not possible to determine A' s type from this conversation, but it is possible to tell what type B and C are.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 03:13 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

A is a knight
B is a Knave
C is a Knight

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 03:58 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

OK I asked my friend Jerry (he is good at this stuff) he said the there are two possibilities.

A = Knight
B = Knight
C = Knave

A = Knave
B = Knave
C = Knight

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:37 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I could have figured that out myself

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:43 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: true
false
true

confused

because:
if B told truth..the first one would be a knave..so he wouldn't admit it.. and this means the B one lied...so the last one said the turth

do i make sense? confused

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Last edited by Clovie on Aug 9th, 2005 at 04:52 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:50 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Re: Puzzles & Paradoxes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Storm
It is not possible to determine A' s type from this conversation, but it is possible to tell what type B and C are. [/B]

Strange, I reached a different conclusion I detemined A, but couldnīt determine B, and C. Maybe you confused yourself there.

A is a knave, but for B and C there are two possibilities.

Possibility 1
A. Knave
B. Knight
C. Knave

Possibility 2
A. Knave
B. Knave
C. Knight

Possibility 3
- Both cannot be knights togheter, because one of them says that the other is lying, if both say just truth they must agree.

Possibility 4
- Both cannot be Knaves togheter, because C would be saying the truth when he says that B is lying.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 05:01 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fishy

A his answer can not be heard, does that mean he is lying or he's just speaking softly... Personally I think the first, so that would mean

A. Knave
B. Knave
C. Knight

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 05:46 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

If C is telling the truth then B lied and A claimed to be a knight. But this doesn't show wether or not he IS a knight as a knave would lie and say he was a knight, and a knight would truthfully say he was a knight.

A = ?
B = Knave
C = Knight

If C is lying then B would br telling the truth about. . . a knave really claiming to be a knave? But wouldn't the knave lie about it? And if A was a knave he would have claimed to be a knight. But B would have said that the a claimed to be a knight. But he didn't. A either way would have claimed to be a knight. So B has to be lying. So B has to be a knave so C was telling the truth.

1. ?
knave
knight

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 06:29 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

Originally posted by Fishy
A his answer can not be heard, does that mean he is lying or he's just speaking softly... Personally I think the first, so that would mean

A. Knave
B. Knave
C. Knight
If A was a knight he would have claimed to be a knight and B would have lied about the claim.
If A was a knave he would have claimed to be a knight and B would have lied about the claim.

Last edited by Creshosk on Aug 9th, 2005 at 06:36 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 06:30 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I don't like puzzles....

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 06:36 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Originally posted by Creshosk
If C is telling the truth then B lied and A claimed to be a knight. But this doesn't show wether or not he IS a knight as a knave would lie and say he was a knight, and a knight would truthfully say he was a knight.

A = ?
B = Knave
C = Knight

Yeah you are right. If:
B said "A is a knave"
C said "B is lying"

If C tells the truth, and B lies one can conclude from what C said that B is a knave, and from B that "A is a knave" is a lie, so A must be a knight.
So in this case:

A.Knight
B.Knave
C.Knight

quote:
If C is lying then B would br telling the truth about. . . a knave really claiming to be a knave? But wouldn't the knave lie about it? And if A was a knave he would have claimed to be a knight. But B would have said that the a claimed to be a knight. But he didn't. A either way would have claimed to be a knight. So B has to be lying. So B has to be a knave so C was telling the truth.

1. ?
knave
knight

B said "A is a knave"
C said "B is lying"

If C is lying then B said the truth(he is a knight not a knave). If B said the truth he is a knight, and the sentence "A is a knave" is true. So:

A. Knave
B. Knight
C. Knave

But logic is evil... so... be careful.

Last edited by Atlantis001 on Aug 9th, 2005 at 08:08 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 07:57 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Should I shed light on the Island of Knights and Knaves or do you want to rack your brain some more?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 08:09 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Wait... I still have hope

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 08:16 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Does it have something to do with the word "he?"

The visitor asks A whether he' s a knight or a knave.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 08:30 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Gender is no object.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 08:35 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Storm
Gender is no object.

But as the real object of the question?....OH, forget it...I hate logic puzzels...

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 08:47 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

I think I got it...

First for reasons that I already said B, and C canīt be both knights, or knaves at the same time.

Now lets remenber what B, and C said:

B said "A said he is a knave".
C said "Donīt believe B, heīs lying" what is the same as just "B is lying".

Now we analyze the remaining possibilies, and figure out which one is right:

Possibility 1 (wrong)
A. Neither
B. Knight
C. Knave

If C is a knave he lied about "B is lying" what means that B is telling the truth.If B tells the truth so A really said he is a knave; if A is a knave he should have said that he is a knight. So he canīt be a knave. If he was a knight then he would never say that he is a knave. So he canīt be a knight too. The island only has knights, and knaves so this possibility cannot be true.

Possibility 2 (right)
A. Canīt be determined
B. Knave
C. Knight

If C is a knight he tells the truth about B lying, and he is indeed a knave, so... no contradictions here. If B is a knave he lied about "A said he is a knave", so we have no information about A and canīt determine what he is.

Ufff... crazy puzzle this one !

Last edited by Atlantis001 on Aug 9th, 2005 at 09:21 PM

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 09:18 PM
Fire

no tips

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 09:25 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

It all has to do with "A said that"

It's like the door puzzle. "what did the other person say."

A's Claim in this case and what B thinks of it.

A said that he was a knight.
B sais that A said that he was a knave.
C says B is lying about what A claimed.

A had to have claimed he was a knight, after all if A was a knight, it'd be the truth. If he was a knave it'd be a lie.

Now B had to have lied about A's claim. Since a knight wouldn't claim to be a knave, and a knave would not admit he was a knave.

And of course C Was telling the truth about B lying.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 12:39 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Observation: A knave will never call himself a Knave for he then is telling the truth.

Answer: No inhabitant can say that he is a knave. Therefore B's statement must be untrue, so he is a knave, and C's statement must be true, so he is a knight.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Aug 10th, 2005 at 12:54 AM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 12:50 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote