KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » is truth subjective or objective?

is truth subjective or objective?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
subjective (relates to personal beliefs) 1 20.00%
objective (relates to opinions of others) 4 80.00%
Total: 5 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: Biscuit

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Biscuit
yummy!

well?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 09:50 PM
Biscuit is currently offline Click here to Send Biscuit a Private Message Find more posts by Biscuit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Re: is truth subjective or objective?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Biscuit
well?

Polite point- your definition of objective is wrong.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:03 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Both.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 10:50 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

The word "truth" that we use to express a "meaning" is objective, obviously , but maybe the "meaning" it want to express, the meaning of truth, is not.

It does not necessarily need to be objective, words and definitions are objective, but they are just tools that we like. Just a matter of preference.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 11:04 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

Re: Re: is truth subjective or objective?

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Polite point- your definition of objective is wrong.
i just explained it to fit the context. it means "external to the mind;actually existing;real" il rephrase the question -

is truth "from the individual consciousness" or "external to the mind" i.e. indisputable

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 11:23 PM
Biscuit is currently offline Click here to Send Biscuit a Private Message Find more posts by Biscuit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

i phrased it like that because i believe that peoples perceptions r wot make up the world, so "external to the mind" would mean, to me, the common accepted truths.
(sorry to post 2 posts they shudv bin the same, oops)

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 11:29 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

i phrased it like that because i believe that peoples perceptions r wot make up the world, so "external to the mind" would mean, to me, the common accepted truths.
(sorry to post 2 posts they shudv bin the same, oops)

I see.

So you are asking if all truths are solipsistic?

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 11:33 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Biscuit
yummy!

erm not exactly....let me think of an example..........say for example i was taught that the numbers 5 and 4 were the other way around, and i grew up believing that we counted 1, 2, 3, 5, 4... to me it would be true that 2+2=5 but you might say that this is wrong....this probably isnt makin any sense but the point is that my truth would be different to your truth so how do we know which truth is 'true'...

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 11:59 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

erm not exactly....let me think of an example..........say for example i was taught that the numbers 5 and 4 were the other way around, and i grew up believing that we counted 1, 2, 3, 5, 4... to me it would be true that 2+2=5 but you might say that this is wrong....this probably isnt makin any sense but the point is that my truth would be different to your truth so how do we know which truth is 'true'...

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant.

Personal truths.

That particular example is slightly trivial because it would simply be a disagreement over nomenclature.

Both would agree that

'1 1 1 1' is the same amount of figures, despite what you each call that total.

It depends what you mean by truth though.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 12:12 AM
Biscuit
yummy!

i know it wernt a very good example but its hard to explain! maybe a better example would be taste...do things taste the same to me as they do to you? if not then which of us can say that what we taste is the 'true' taste? is it just true to us or does it depend on some external force....confused

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 12:18 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

i know it wernt a very good example but its hard to explain! maybe a better example would be taste...do things taste the same to me as they do to you? if not then which of us can say that what we taste is the 'true' taste? is it just true to us or does it depend on some external force....confused

It all depends on what truth is. Why do I sound like Clinton? laughing

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 02:28 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Everybody has their own truth, I suppose, though if youre looking for the betterment of all, it would be the same truth as others in a way of gravitation towards the positives in life....and making a difference...It comes down to "Who Are You?"

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 01:55 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Truths are subjective. All truth is, is a matter of perception, but some truths of others we have enternalised as our own. Such as that 2+2 is 4.

If you and I are sat at the table, and on the table i see an apple and you see a plum, who would be telling the truth?

There is no absolute truth, only an observation. That is my truth.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 04:44 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Truths are subjective. All truth is, is a matter of perception, but some truths of others we have enternalised as our own. Such as that 2+2 is 4.

If you and I are sat at the table, and on the table i see an apple and you see a plum, who would be telling the truth?

There is no absolute truth, only an observation. That is my truth.

That's a matter of semantics though. It's true to say you both see something of a different name. It's true to say you both see something.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 06:28 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Absolutely- Lil, that is mistaking perception for truth.

Fact is, all truths are objective, and in biscuit's example above, the truth is simply that things taste differently for different people, and to make out there was one correct taste above all others would be a falsehood.

But the method by which that food or drink causes that particular taste in each person would be an objective fact.

But facts are facts regardless of any non-existant or erroneous observation of them.

People are in danger of steering into personal verificationism here, which is basically void, philsophically speaking (alarm bells go off whenever you hear someone say 'my truth').

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 15th, 2005 at 06:40 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 06:30 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I agree with you that there is a difference between perception and truth.

But I can't help it wondering about Philosophical Sceptisism

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 06:42 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That would still accept the difference. It would just say that the truths are unverifiable.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 06:43 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

Aah true, good point (been too long since I looked at anything remotely close to philosophy)

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 06:49 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Absolutely- Lil, that is mistaking perception for truth.

I am?

So how do you find truth, if not by perception? Does truth just randomly appear?

How did man release that grass grows - did he observe such happening, or did he just know?

Some truths don't differ. Like what?

6, 000 years ago the truth was that the gods made rain. Now we know different. So what if in another 6, 000 years, a truth of why its raining changes, which truth is correct?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Last edited by lil bitchiness on Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:49 AM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 11:46 AM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was never true that the gods made rain, nor was it ever true that the earth was flat.

Humans just lacked the means to discover the absolute objective truth in question so they took it upon themselves to draw a conclusion. It's not "Now we know different". Believing the world to be spherical isn't an alternative view, it's the true view. We now know the truth because we have means of discovering it. If someone chooses to believe the earth is flat now, they're an idiot.

The world didn't become spherical when we discovered the ability to observe it. It was always spherical. Just like it has always rained for the reasons that it factually rains.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Nov 16th, 2005 at 12:13 PM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 12:10 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote