KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Can Ideas Encourage Ignorance?

Can Ideas Encourage Ignorance?
Started by: Storm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Can Ideas Encourage Ignorance?

Most people value the spread of knowledge and perhaps think that increases in ideas will, in the long run, increase what we know. Maybe that is true, but in the short run at least it may be possible for ideas to actually encourage ignorance rather than knowledge.

I think it’s a useful perspective to think about how ignorance can actually be created, generated, or encouraged by particular ideas. It seems that sometimes an idea can both help to generate lots of knowledge growth and ignorance at the time.

-Karl Popper-

Intelligent design, for example, tends to do this with some people: by positing an unknown and unknowable, supernatural creator as responsible for life, it attempts to cut off further research and, therefore, the possibility of acquiring more knowledge.

Do you agree/disagree? What other ideas can you think of that may actually hinder the development of knowledge rather than help increase what we know?

Source: about.com

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2006 03:25 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I disagree on this one. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. And ideas...well, they could be productive. If this was "Imagination Encourages Ignorance" then I would agree with that. The whole Intelligent Design topic for me is like any other topic I choose to remain neutral on it. I don't consider neither side to be ignorant...because to be honest...that in itself would be an ignorant judgement to make.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2006 05:12 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

Marxism.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 04:30 AM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

quote:
I disagree on this one. Ignorance is lack of knowledge.

but by stating that (which is true) you do take a stance on the ID debate........as there is no knowledge contained within the pro-ID side. Knowledge is based directly on facts. Facts are determined by physical evidence and recordable data. Intelligent design offers no facts or recordable data.......therefore no knowledge........therefore ignorance. The same can be applied to any religion and/or god.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 05:41 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Will you change you friken sig.????

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 06:11 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

no ma'am. C-dic made this for me like 2 years ago........I like it so I keep it.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 06:12 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Evil Dead
no ma'am. C-dic made this for me like 2 years ago........I like it so I keep it.

pitiful there bud...but on topic.................Ignnorance what this whole world is about.............

Last edited by debbiejo on Aug 13th, 2006 at 06:35 AM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 06:31 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Re: Can Ideas Encourage Ignorance?

Originally posted by Storm
Most people value the spread of knowledge and perhaps think that increases in ideas will, in the long run, increase what we know. Maybe that is true, but in the short run at least it may be possible for ideas to actually encourage ignorance rather than knowledge.

I think it’s a useful perspective to think about how ignorance can actually be created, generated, or encouraged by particular ideas. It seems that sometimes an idea can both help to generate lots of knowledge growth and ignorance at the time.

-Karl Popper-

Intelligent design, for example, tends to do this with some people: by positing an unknown and unknowable, supernatural creator as responsible for life, it attempts to cut off further research and, therefore, the possibility of acquiring more knowledge.

Do you agree/disagree? What other ideas can you think of that may actually hinder the development of knowledge rather than help increase what we know?

I agree. There are certain ideas that can hinder knowledge and the pursuit of knowledge. most of these ideas come from the religious camps, where everything is a result of the particular supreme creators: "Daddy why did Grandma die?" "God decided it was her time, son" "But I thought it was cancer" "No, it was God, now go to bed."

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 06:42 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

The absence of all ideas is complete ignorance. Adding ideas to that absence can never *increase* the ignorance you have, though some ideas decrease ignorance very little or none at all.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 02:31 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FoxMeister
Tank

Ignorance is ignoring proven facts and believing something. Like witches. They were just used as an excuse for bad things happening. Deep down they knew that witches were made up. Kind of a bad example BUT NONE THE LESS.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 04:00 PM
FoxMeister is currently offline Click here to Send FoxMeister a Private Message Find more posts by FoxMeister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

I agree. Ideas can be used to create the illusion that you are doing something for yourself even if you are not. Ideas can give ya the illusion of confort and knowlegde, even if you are completely ignorant. But some people just want to feel safe, they do not want to evolve.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 10:31 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Re: Can Ideas Encourage Ignorance?

Originally posted by Storm

-Karl Popper-

Without the gaining of an understanding as to our ignorance we would be unable to rectify said ignorance. In other words, ignorance is required before being capable of learning something new.

Now, if we are speaking of persistent ignorance being created by an idea, one has just to look at the religious impeding of scientific advance throughout history to acknowledge the assumption as holding some merit. It cannot be said that religious ideas in history have not had adherents that embraced the idea so fully that all other ideas became threatening and avoided by these same adherents.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Aug 15th, 2006 10:39 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

some ideas (like Intelligent Design) in my opinion don't help people to gain a better understanding of the world around them, wether or not this can be called ignorance, I don't know.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 08:39 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote