KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the relation between Secularism and Atheism?

What is the relation between Secularism and Atheism?
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

What is the relation between Secularism and Atheism?

As in the title.

What is the relation between Secularism and Atheism exactly and how would you define these terms.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 06:42 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

secularism is a practice of athieism.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 09:18 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Both are pretty empty and have literally nothing of value to offer other then a sense of selfishness and irresponsibility.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 09:23 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

To be atheist is to lack belief in the divine. To be secular is to make decisions without consideration for the divine.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 10:38 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

thumb up

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Apr 14th, 2018 10:47 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
To be atheist is to lack belief in the divine. To be secular is to make decisions without consideration for the divine.

Or how one person put it. "When You don't Believe in (God) You will believe in Anything!"

Secularism makes this a very true statement.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2018 02:52 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Or how one person put it. "When You don't Believe in (God) You will believe in Anything!"

Secularism makes this a very true statement.

How do you do it, Fly?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2018 05:07 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

How do you do it, Fly?

Oh anybody can do it.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2018 05:20 AM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Honestly, the distinction seems to me to be a little blurry.

BTW So Atheists assert that there is no God, or that they don't understand the question "does God exist"?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 05:09 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Stigma

Well I think there is a distinction because a religious person can argue in a secular way to engage with someone else on grounds they can agree to.

For example, if I'm talking to an atheist about morality and wisdom, my views are rooted in my faith, however I'm not going to make an appeal to authority an atheist doesn't ascribe to. Instead I am going to speak to some of the values my belief in God leads to because I might actually be able to find some common ground there. One example of that would be that my beliefs in "love thy neighbor as thyself" and that each person is made in the image of God implicate the value of the moral worth of the individual, which is something you could find to be a presupposition many atheists also hold even though they don't believe in God and you could engage them in a moral conversation on those grounds because it is a common ground that could hopefully be reached.

Same with someone like Ben Shapiro who has made it a point to say that he doesn't cite God in political debate on things like abortion because it would be a citation to an authority his opponent doesn't accept so instead he approaches it on different grounds.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 06:00 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Like I said, to be atheist is to lack belief in the divine, and to be secular is to make decisions without consideration for the divine. Of course, someone who lacks belief in the divine would not consider the divine when making decisions. An atheist will naturally practice secularism.

However, theists sometimes practice secularism too, in order to coexist with those with different belief systems. This is especially true with regards to government. For example, Christians and Muslims have different ideas about the divine; as the divine is not measurable, there is no way of determining who is right or who is wrong, but each side is passionate about their beliefs nonetheless. Were a government to sponsor one side's ideas about divinity over the other, it would almost certainly lead to religious conflict and/or persecution. Secularism is practiced to avoid this, because by disregarding the divine when making policy decisions, we are forced to then make decisions based on things that are measurable. As things that are measurable are neutral, this is thought to be fairest to all parties involved.

quote:
BTW So Atheists assert that there is no God,

Not necessarily. There's no reason a god couldn't exist, but rather that we no reason to assume that one does. We don't really have to assert anything, because not believing in (or devoting our lives to) something we can't observe or measure is self-evident.

quote:
Or that they don't understand the question "does God exist"?

Lol, no, I'm pretty sure I understand the question... Unless there's some nuance to your post that I didn't pick up.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 06:50 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well I think there is a distinction because a religious person can argue in a secular way to engage with someone else on grounds they can agree to.

I see. TBH as far as political life goes, Christians are by default secular, though.

For example, if I'm talking to an atheist about morality and wisdom, my views are rooted in my faith, however I'm not going to make an appeal to authority an atheist doesn't ascribe to. Instead I am going to speak to some of the values my belief in God leads to because I might actually be able to find some common ground there. One example of that would be that my beliefs in "love thy neighbor as thyself" and that each person is made in the image of God implicate the value of the moral worth of the individual, which is something you could find to be a presupposition many atheists also hold even though they don't believe in God and you could engage them in a moral conversation on those grounds because it is a common ground that could hopefully be reached.

[/B][/QUOTE] Good point.

Same with someone like Ben Shapiro who has made it a point to say that he doesn't cite God in political debate on things like abortion because it would be a citation to an authority his opponent doesn't accept so instead he approaches it on different grounds.

Yeah, I think I rememeber him saying that. That's a very reasonable policy. But it has some problems conceirng the Atheist side of the argument.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 08:30 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Like I said, to be atheist is to lack belief in the divine, and to be secular is to make decisions without consideration for the divine. Of course, someone who lacks belief in the divine would not consider the divine when making decisions. An atheist will naturally practice secularism.

Secularism can be argued to be the achievement of Christianity, or at least, Christianity can be said to lay the foundation for secular politics. Thus, I am not sure if Atheism and Secularism are more closely tied than Christianity and Secularism.

Also, if you don’t mind, can you tell me what you think about this definition of a Theist.

"Theists believe in God" and "Theists have a believe in God."

Can you tell me how do you consider these statements and their meaning?

However, theists sometimes practice secularism too,in order to coexist with those with different belief systems. This is especially true with regards to government. For example, Christians and Muslims have different ideas about the divine; as the divine is not measurable, there is no way of determining who is right or who is wrong, but each side is passionate about their beliefs nonetheless. Were a government to sponsor one side's ideas about divinity over the other, it would almost certainly lead to religious conflict and/or persecution.

Sure. But I am not convinced it is impossible to determine who is right, though (obviously taking into the account the limits of human reason)

Secularism is practiced to avoid this, because by disregarding the divine when making policy decisions, we are forced to then make decisions based on things that are measurable.

This is actually a slippery slope in my estimation, given that we constantly make decisions of things that cannot be measured, e g. justice.

As things that are measurable are neutral, this is thought to be fairest to all parties involved.

Not necessarily. There's no reason a god couldn't exist, but rather that we no reason to assume that one does.
We don't really have to assert anything, because not believing in (or devoting our lives to) something we can't observe or measure is self-evident.

There are many things that are either impossible to measure or abstract, yet they exist in the cultural matrix. Not sure why the idea of God would be different.

Lol, no, I'm pretty sure I understand the question... Unless there's some nuance to your post that I didn't pick up.

So you can posit your beliefs in relation to the concept of God, correct?

Last edited by Stigma on Apr 21st, 2018 at 08:52 PM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 08:48 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm an atheist, but it's not that I don't believe in the metaphysical. I just don't believe one omnipotent being exists who created everything.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 08:55 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Wouldn't that be closer to an Agnostic?

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 08:58 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Wouldn't that be closer to an Agnostic?

Looking up the definition of it:

"a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God"

I definitely do not believe in any deity. So I don't think it would apply.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 09:01 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Yeah, I think Fly is right, Surt. Given that you leave an open door for the possiblility of the metaphysical realm, somewhere down the road it implies the possibility of deity.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 09:01 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, I think Fly is right, Surt. Given that you leave an open door for the possiblility of the metaphysical realm, somewhere down the road it implies the possibility of deity.

Well I definitely do not believe in an omnipotent being. So I don't know.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 09:02 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Ok, fair enough.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 09:03 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't even know if there is a word for what I am lol. I notice most atheists do not believe in things like spirits. I do. I just don't think there is a heaven or hell.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2018 09:05 PM