KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » comic characters showing their age?

comic characters showing their age?
Started by: lando005

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lando005

comic characters showing their age?

i would like to get your thoughts on something. a lot of our favorite heroes/villains have been around for a long time now and i was just wondering was it a wise idea to keep them all suspended at the age they are now even though changes in the times are reflected in the comics? or should they have allowed them to have aged and retire gracefully to make way to newer generations?

Old Post Dec 12th, 2006 10:26 PM
lando005 is currently offline Click here to Send lando005 a Private Message Find more posts by lando005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

This is a tough question but, personally I would enjoy seeing them age and watch the progression of the characters and their ongoing legacies. Like how Flash has been passed on through the decades. I also enjoy how Spiderman has had to grow up with allot of his fans and deal with being a hero along the way. Something I have always wonder is how Marvel will deal with Magneto since him being part of the holocaust is part of his character and he doesn't have any abilities that alter his aging. He should be like in his late 70s by now right. Sooner or later they will be pushing to far.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Dec 12th, 2006 10:36 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

I think they have enough comics set in the future to show the heroes older. Imagine Marvel without Spidey or DC without Bats.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Dec 12th, 2006 10:39 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Comicbook_kid
Crom's champion

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
This is a tough question but, personally I would enjoy seeing them age and watch the progression of the characters and their ongoing legacies. Like how Flash has been passed on through the decades. I also enjoy how Spiderman has had to grow up with allot of his fans and deal with being a hero along the way. Something I have always wonder is how Marvel will deal with Magneto since him being part of the holocaust is part of his character and he doesn't have any abilities that alter his aging. He should be like in his late 70s by now right. Sooner or later they will be pushing to far.

Good point......or like Frank Castle / The Punisher being in Vietnam. He should be in his early to mid-sixties, but some comics portray him looking like he was still mid-thirties!!! I've often wondered about this too, so this was a great idea for a thread.....Good job.

Conan, what is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and sigs by Beta Ray Howard.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 12:23 AM
Comicbook_kid is currently offline Click here to Send Comicbook_kid a Private Message Find more posts by Comicbook_kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nvrbeenwthagirl
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Comicbook_kid
Good point......or like Frank Castle / The Punisher being in Vietnam. He should be in his early to mid-sixties, but some comics portray him looking like he was still mid-thirties!!! I've often wondered about this too, so this was a great idea for a thread.....Good job.

DO like DC does every ten years and have a reboot of thier continuity. IT sets all the character's over.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 12:53 AM
nvrbeenwthagirl is currently offline Click here to Send nvrbeenwthagirl a Private Message Find more posts by nvrbeenwthagirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Captain America already has it figured out - stay frozen longer.
Originally just 20 years for 616 Cap; now over 50 years for Ultimate Cap.
But, he's not a good example because the SS serum has stopped his aging.

Let's look at Namor - getting close to 90 years old, right? Eventually, they'll have to declare how long an Atlantean lifespan is - and Namor is half-human, too.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:01 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by roughrider
Captain America already has it figured out - stay frozen longer.
Originally just 20 years for 616 Cap; now over 50 years for Ultimate Cap.
But, he's not a good example because the SS serum has stopped his aging.

Let's look at Namor - getting close to 90 years old, right? Eventually, they'll have to declare how long an Atlantean lifespan is - and Namor is half-human, too.

Yea I thought of mentioning that with Cap, and Namor being in WWII also. But like you said Cap was originally frosen for like 20 years now in 616 i think its 40 and with Namor they can say he ages slower or something. If you've watched the latest Punisher movie they say he was in Desert Storm instead of Vietnam also!

I stated Magneto because I can't really see them changing his origin to something else and it having the same effect. I mean he was a holocaust victim, I can see them doing anything to keep that feeling with him and explain his aging. Without giving him a new power that is and, I REALLY hate when they do that to any character. Like making Wolverine immortal. I really like Logan but, quite amping him up. What make the character even better to me are their limitations not their extreme superiority. The powers get me interested and the limitations keep me amazed and in love with the characters. This is why I love Spiderman the most of all I believe. That and I relate to him them most. I was the science and math geek that got picked on and wanted power to rise above it.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:15 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lorddreamer

Wrong forum, sweet thread.
Anyway, yea, I consider this all the time. DC has tried hard to find a replacement for Batman: Robins. They even had him die (Bane). But that def. didn't work out.
And remember Supe's death? I wasnt born yet, but I am well aware of the controversy it caused. They can't kill off the classics. Batman, Superman, Spiderman are peices of popculture. They cant be gotten rid of. Especially in a world full of magic and fake science where a withered old Batman could be saved by some random guy of the street...

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:24 AM
lorddreamer is currently offline Click here to Send lorddreamer a Private Message Find more posts by lorddreamer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

It's not just Magneto. He and Charles Xavier are nearly the same age; Charles fought in Korea.
A reboot happens in the future, I can see Magneto getting confined in suspended animation early in his career, and only getting out after some decades (this is off the top of my head.) Then, you can keep his holocaust past.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:24 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lando005

Originally posted by lorddreamer
Wrong forum, sweet thread.
Anyway, yea, I consider this all the time. DC has tried hard to find a replacement for Batman: Robins. They even had him die (Bane). But that def. didn't work out.
And remember Supe's death? I wasnt born yet, but I am well aware of the controversy it caused. They can't kill off the classics. Batman, Superman, Spiderman are peices of popculture. They cant be gotten rid of. Especially in a world full of magic and fake science where a withered old Batman could be saved by some random guy of the street...

they dont have to kill them off but their mantles can be passed down they have atleast 20+ years worth of good comic stories they could have used on all new characters vice over extending the life span of the current ones

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:50 AM
lando005 is currently offline Click here to Send lando005 a Private Message Find more posts by lando005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bol Gath

Hmmm I remember someone saying that someone did something to magneto that made him stop aging or something like that. Or was it someone who somehow made his body younger??? I can't remember

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:52 AM
Bol Gath is currently offline Click here to Send Bol Gath a Private Message Find more posts by Bol Gath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lando005

Originally posted by Bol Gath
Hmmm I remember someone saying that someone did something to magneto that made him stop aging or something like that. Or was it someone who somehow made his body younger??? I can't remember
he was de-aged once to a toddler

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:56 AM
Entity
Illuminati Founder

He had a clone once without his memories that joined the x-men. They thought was the original made younger but came to find he was a just a clone and the original was still alive and kickin. I think he was named Josph. I may be wrong thou.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:56 AM
Bol Gath

Joseph... Ahh I remember him. But that isn't what I was thinking about, as Lando 005 said he was de-aged.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:59 AM
Bol Gath is currently offline Click here to Send Bol Gath a Private Message Find more posts by Bol Gath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Joseph... Ahh I remember him. But that isn't what I was thinking about, as Lando 005 said he was de-aged.

AH, my bad.
Now that you have said this about him being a toddler I remember what your talking about too. Thou, was he really not sappost to age after that event. That is news to me, if so I guess marvel has already made their own solution.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 02:22 AM
Beta Ray Howard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Reed is showing his age by saying Aunt May looked nice.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 02:32 AM
Beta Ray Howard is currently offline Click here to Send Beta Ray Howard a Private Message Find more posts by Beta Ray Howard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lando005

billy conners another good example

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 02:40 AM
Scoobless
sselboocS

Retcon >>>> Ageing

stick out tongue

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 02:42 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by lando005
billy conners another good example

WHO??? embarrasment

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 03:13 AM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I think Punisher's history was retcon from Vietnam to an un-named conflict in Southeast Asia.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 03:21 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote