KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Playing god

Playing god
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Playing god

OK, so a bunch of characters want to appear in front of humans (in our universe) and pretend to be the Christian God. Which one of them can succeed in being close enough to omnipotent/omnipresent/omniscient so that people would believe that he/she/it is God? For the sake of this thread, we'll assume that for some reason humans won't have any former knowledge of these characters (ie they won't recognize that Odin is well...Odin, and the god of Norse mythology).

1. medieval Europe
2. modern America
3. Star Wars

(in no particular order)

Galactus
Odin
Superman
A celestial
Utah
Darkseid
Eternity
Thanos
Thanos w/IG
LT
Post Retcon Beyonder

Old Post Oct 30th, 2009 11:59 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
galactusischere
Apocalypse..begins!

All of them succeed other than Utah, Darkseid, Thanos, and Odin

Last edited by galactusischere on Oct 31st, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:03 AM
galactusischere is currently offline Click here to Send galactusischere a Private Message Find more posts by galactusischere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Why is the state of Utah on the list?

Pre ret Beyonder would be a good fit.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:05 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

wouldnt god instantly kill them all before they impersonate him?

I have returned

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:18 AM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
galactusischere
Apocalypse..begins!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
wouldnt god instantly kill them all before they impersonate him?

living tribunal IS god
the abstracts would be pretty close to god if they came to our reality

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:19 AM
galactusischere is currently offline Click here to Send galactusischere a Private Message Find more posts by galactusischere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

only LT here is omiposent

I have returned

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:24 AM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
only LT here is omiposent

right, but for this scenario you don't have to be totally omnipotent, just enough so that you can fool mortals

Originally posted by galactusischere
All of them succeed other than Utah, Darkseid, Thanos, and Odin

so Superman somehow suceeds?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:29 AM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

All of them could IMO for Medieval Europe.
Who is Utah? Is it a misspelling of Uatu?
I don't know about him but as for Modern America all but Superman, Thanos, and Darkseid could pass for the Christian God. Mostly because in the first case he's clearly not even close to all knowing and in the other two cases their lack of moral character would betray them.
As for Star Wars I'd say that LT and pr Beyonder are the only ones powerful enough to convince a Universe that has next to no religion (seriously the only religious ppl in Star Wars are seen as backward and kooky force worshipers) that they're God. I don't say Thanos because again if you're talking the Christian God he would be way too abusive to pass.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:30 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
galactusischere
Apocalypse..begins!

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

so Superman somehow suceeds?

no

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:33 AM
Omega Vision

Superman could definitely convince Medieval Europe that he's God. Hell if there were never any Superman comics he could probably convince a good segment of Modern America (30-40 %). There are a lot of stupid people willing to accept anything as their God/personal savior and a man who flies, can't be killed by anything we have, can bench press a continent, and can shoot lasers from his eyes is a step up from a lot of people's accepted beliefs. Its weird to think about it but Superman's on panel feats > what Jesus did in the Bible.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:37 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

I listed POST retcon beyonder btw

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:40 AM
Smurph
------

All of them for the first two scenarios, easily

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:54 AM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Original Smurph
All of them for the first two scenarios, easily

I highly doubt that Superman can fool the majority of us today, he isn't anywhere near omnipotent.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:59 AM
Omega Vision

I highly doubt that Superman can fool the majority of us today, he isn't anywhere near omnipotent.

He's close enough as far as most people would be concerned. A good 20 maybe even 25% of America is stupid and gullible. Hell if Superman showed up without explanation I'd probably think he was (a) god but not THE GOD.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:08 AM
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
He's close enough as far as most people would be concerned. A good 20 maybe even 25% of America is stupid and gullible. Hell if Superman showed up without explanation I'd probably think he was (a) god but not THE GOD.

Maybe the some of the less educated people, but most would not believe. They'd probably go to Superman praying for them to heal their loved one or remove all hunger or end X war or something, and Superman wouldn't be able to do many of these things.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:13 AM
Omega Vision

Maybe the some of the less educated people, but most would not believe. They'd probably go to Superman praying for them to heal their loved one or remove all hunger or end X war or something, and Superman wouldn't be able to do many of these things.

You sure about that? Superman could have single handedly rescued everyone from Katrina in a day and rebuilt New Orleans by himself over a weekend. He couldn't do magical crap but for all intents and purposes he'd be closer to a God than anything we've ever seen before.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:21 AM
rotiart
Stan Lee Stole my name

The closest being to resemble a Christian god would probably be Odin...

Despite what "Christians" say the bibles feats are no greater than anything in Norse mythology ie... What odins done.

Once the heavens and earth were created.... Which suppsedly Odin/ or Zeus have done

"There is no writer to purposely ignore a character's natural ability just because it suits the story."
"in some cases because the writer knows that Character A will dominate Character B easily and refuses to allow this to happen for the sake of the story."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:35 AM
rotiart is currently offline Click here to Send rotiart a Private Message Find more posts by rotiart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I agree that Odin wouldn't even have to change his appearance to convince people, after all if you ask a lot of people they'll tell you that they see God as a bearded man, at least I do.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:39 AM
rotiart
Stan Lee Stole my name

God could be a little black girl for all you know!

"There is no writer to purposely ignore a character's natural ability just because it suits the story."
"in some cases because the writer knows that Character A will dominate Character B easily and refuses to allow this to happen for the sake of the story."

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:42 AM
rotiart is currently offline Click here to Send rotiart a Private Message Find more posts by rotiart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Court

1. medieval Europe
2. modern America
3. Star Wars

Galactus - Fails 2 and 3. He'd just look like an alien.
Odin - Passes all with the right garb, and going for a "Father Time" look.
Superman - Passes 1.
A celestial - Fails utterly. Too funny looking.
Utah - Salt Lake City passes all three.
Darkseid - Fails completely. He'd clearly be pegged as the devil.
Eternity - He could pass all three.
Thanos - Fails. Pegged as the devil.
Thanos w/IG - Fails. Even with the IG.
LT - Passes better than anyone.
Post Retcon Beyonder - Fails. Too creepy, I think.

I think Silver Surfer, Zeus, Eddie McDonough, and Sentry could pull this off.

I possess the Wrist Lock Of Death...

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 01:43 AM
Master Court is currently offline Click here to Send Master Court a Private Message Find more posts by Master Court Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote