KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

Should feats only be a maximum of five years old
Started by: Daemon Seed

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

Bear with me, re Canonicity etc. Can we even say Iron MAn is the same character as in the 70's or 80's for instance. The origin is rewritten several times for different wars. Shouldn't the feats for the Iron Man of a different origin automatically be excluded? Same for Superman and all characters really.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:29 PM
Daemon Seed is currently offline Click here to Send Daemon Seed a Private Message Find more posts by Daemon Seed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

if you want to get into something like this, you would be better off breaking it down by author rather than era

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:31 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
if you want to get into something like this, you would be better off breaking it down by author rather than era

I sort of agree, but author might be to far. I mean how can transistor Iron man etc be taken seriously as canon now.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:33 PM
Daemon Seed is currently offline Click here to Send Daemon Seed a Private Message Find more posts by Daemon Seed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I get your point, but using consistency works in that situation as well

Iron Man is hardly portrayed as transistor Iron man more often than not

I think its unnecessary, and really, many characters have stayed at pretty consistent levels over the years. Spidey, Hulk, Batman just off the top of my head

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:36 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

I get your point, but using consistency works in that situation as well

Iron Man is hardly portrayed as transistor Iron man more often than not

I think its unnecessary, and really, many characters have stayed at pretty consistent levels over the years. Spidey, Hulk, Batman just off the top of my head

Thing is Iron Man's best feats are from the 70's and 80's, it's the same with loads of characters.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:38 PM
carver9

Some characters have become weaker and some have become stronger due to different wirters along with train of thought with modern writers. I'm pretty sure you will not find a writer these days that believe Hulk could thunder clap a dimension to dust or a writer that would have Thor pulling a big a** snake with a pole.

Its even hard to find planetary level beings these days.

When was the last time a being shedded a Galaxy? Power levels change and I don't even think it should be 5 yrs, it should be within 2 to 3 years.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:40 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

This is the worst idea in the history of ideas.
Ever

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:41 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

Originally posted by Daemon Seed
Bear with me, re Canonicity etc. Can we even say Iron MAn is the same character as in the 70's or 80's for instance. The origin is rewritten several times for different wars. Shouldn't the feats for the Iron Man of a different origin automatically be excluded? Same for Superman and all characters really.

It depends. Sometimes characters don't change a lot through a long history, some do, and it's not rare that early events are still explicitly indicated to take place, if not particularly the same way (Something Lady Shiva has suffered from. She's gotten a lot of minor retcons, but still has in canon beaten the same people she did before those retcons).

5 years is *way* too short a cutoff though. Very few characters have had big shifts during that time other than the explicit on-page ones (like Tony getting a new suit of armor).

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:42 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Should threads older than 3 years be considered? Like if you get your argument destroyed and humiliated should we stop calling you on it after the 3 year mark?

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:44 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Should threads older than 3 years be considered? Like if you get your argument destroyed and humiliated should we stop calling you on it after the 3 year mark?
I like when someone pulls up a 5 year old post of me and tries debating with it. lol.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:46 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One-Punch
B-Class Hero

How do you debate characters that don't have many appearances and their last appearance was before five years ago?

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:48 PM
One-Punch is currently offline Click here to Send One-Punch a Private Message Find more posts by One-Punch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Ever

This

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:49 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by carver9
Some characters have become weaker and some have become stronger due to different wirters along with train of thought with modern writers. I'm pretty sure you will not find a writer these days that believe Hulk could thunder clap a dimension to dust or a writer that would have Thor pulling a big a** snake with a pole.

Its even hard to find planetary level beings these days.

When was the last time a being shedded a Galaxy? Power levels change and I don't even think it should be 5 yrs, it should be within 2 to 3 years.

True enough, take Wolverine, the Wolverine of today is completly different to when he appeared!

Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Re: Re: Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

Originally posted by Q99
It depends. Sometimes characters don't change a lot through a long history, some do, and it's not rare that early events are still explicitly indicated to take place, if not particularly the same way (Something Lady Shiva has suffered from. She's gotten a lot of minor retcons, but still has in canon beaten the same people she did before those retcons).

5 years is *way* too short a cutoff though. Very few characters have had big shifts during that time other than the explicit on-page ones (like Tony getting a new suit of armor).
Agreed. I dunno about 5, but I typically laugh when someone pulls out feats that are as old as I am or even older. Hulk is a particular one to me in this regard, shit he did in the 70's and early 80's, he's not even come close to replicating in 30 years since. Same for a lot of characters. They call that the Silver Age and not the Modern Age for a reason, because it's an age gone by.

Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by vince_slice
How do you debate characters that don't have many appearances and their last appearance was before five years ago?

With difficulty anyway because they have so few feats.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 03:51 PM
tsilamini

Re: Re: Re: Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

Originally posted by Juntai
Agreed. I dunno about 5, but I typically laugh when someone pulls out feats that are as old as I am or even older. Hulk is a particular one to me in this regard, shit he did in the 70's and early 80's, he's not even come close to replicating in 30 years since. Same for a lot of characters. They call that the Silver Age and not the Modern Age for a reason, because it's an age gone by.

to be fair though, this is covered by consistency of appearances just as well as any cut off point would

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:05 PM
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

to be fair though, this is covered by consistency of appearances just as well as any cut off point would

Not really as they are often consistant within a period.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:08 PM
Gecko4lif

Ever

Agreed

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:08 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Daemon Seed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ever

Why?

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:10 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Ever
I dunno, I recall weekends in my late teens and early twenties, being completely ****ing trashed, and a friend going "HEY MAN, WE SHOULD TOTALLY------"

I won't finish, but I will say that in these days I learned a valuable lesson...

There are no bad ideas, just horribly executed AWESOME ones.

Old Post May 12th, 2011 04:14 PM