KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Geniuses vs World Problems

Geniuses vs World Problems
Started by: Blair Wind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Geniuses vs World Problems

I wanted to measure how smart you think the various techies/geniuses from both major companies are when put into the real world. Most of these guys could dramatically push forward the human race but they usually spend more time throwing punches than anything else. If they decided to stop bickering, who could make the biggest change in the world?

Competitors
Tony Stark
Reed Richards
Lex Luthor
Mr. Terrific
Hank Pym
Bruce Wayne

Resources
Small Office
Laptop
Internet
Open Source Software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software
USA's public database: http://www.data.gov/communities/
$20,000

Each of them is stripped of their resources and put into the real world. They are given a small office building, laptop computer, and a $20,000 grant. They are given a cheat sheet of open source technologies they may want to reference and can only use the data-sets provided by the United States of America. No hacking for private data a normal citizen would not be able to access.

Their task is to create software that utilizes the public datasets for the explicit purpose of running a business and improving the industry they choose ie: Health, Education, Energy, Safety (Crime), or Enterprise software. They spend 3 years utilizing that software in their business venture - the whole goal being to address one or more of these categories and making the most measurable difference.

Who makes the biggest difference in the real world and how do they do it?

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 01:54 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I see the best choice, Victor von Doom, has been omitted.

I think Tony would likely make the best changes due to his knowledge of politics, business, and science, and having been hands on for most of his career. I'd imagine he'd choose energy.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:02 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

I'd say Reed, with his crazy 'I can predict human behaviour with this equation' feats.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:06 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I do think Reed is overall the smartest person here, but he's not all that adept when it comes to politics and business, which per this thread, are just as important as being book smart, imo.

To that end, I think Tony is the most well rounded.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:09 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

True.

Toss up between him and Lex, actually. At this level, its like debating infinity and infinity-1.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:15 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Reed can already predict via an equation what people will do.

That alone gives him an edge and put him head and shoulders above his competitors.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:15 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Reed can already predict via an equation what people will do.

That alone gives him an edge and put him head and shoulders above his competitors.

He's not the only super genius to do that.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:18 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Originally posted by Golgo13
He's not the only super genius to do that.

Whatever, he's Reed Richards. He don't loose this contest.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:19 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

LOL! You'll always say that, even though Reed is far from the only one who has created awesome tech.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:20 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

You have an unshakable faith in the Archenemy of the world, Bouboumaster.

It's unsettling.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:20 AM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I think Tony would likely make the best changes due to his knowledge of politics, business, and science, and having been hands on for most of his career. I'd imagine he'd choose energy.

thumb up

I think Tony and Lex are probably the top contenders, IMO. I think Tony would gravitate towards energy software and Bruce would utilize the crime data somehow. I think Pym, Reed, Mr. Terrific might all do either health or education. Not sure about Lex.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:54 AM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Lex would cheat.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:55 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Originally posted by -Pr-
Lex would cheat.

He might. But the purpose is not to get rich, but to improve the world.

This all started with an idea I had for Iron Man. If I could have the licensing for him I have this really cool STEM education based idea.

Wondered just what could these fictional guys do in the real world.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 02:59 AM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Tony would supply free energy to the world.

Problem is whilst the people of the world would be warm this tech would also increase man's potential to kill one another.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 03:04 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Tony also seems a bit...naive to me. Lex would set about transforming the economy, and soon, it'll be a communist state, where everyone is equal!

Equally rich, that is.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 03:08 AM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

The first thing they will all do is apply for the MacArthur Genius Grant and bump that money up to 500,000.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 03:18 AM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I do think Reed is overall the smartest person here, but he's not all that adept when it comes to politics and business, which per this thread, are just as important as being book smart, imo.

To that end, I think Tony is the most well rounded.

He may not have any quantifiable feats in that regard , but in F4#607 , he did come to Wakanda prepared for completely rejuvenating their economy , and considering how Wakanda is one of the most(if not the most) prosperous nations in Marvel Earth , that's saying something .

Anyways , as far as the thread goes , my vote goes to either Tony or Lex .

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 03:34 AM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
janus77
Banana Genius

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Tony also seems a bit...naive to me. Lex would set about transforming the economy, and soon, it'll be a communist state, where everyone is equal!

Equally rich, that is.

Lex is as stupid in real life as he is in comics?

You can't be "rich" when you're all "equal". It's a relative term, requiring the existence of non-rich people to give it meaning.

Anyway, Communism would probably be the way they'd go. Central planning, peddling dreams to the dopes and dope to the disillusioned.

Marginalise the detractors and murder the alternative... Lots of PR about how effective and fair it all is. Then 10 years down the line, massive famine and death.

I think Tony Stark would definitely be a big proponent of central planning and large state programmes.

Banner would probably be the most useful of comic-book geniuses, he wouldn't come with any totalitarian baggage or any desires to control the world, he would advance the iPod significantly and provide personal teleportation devices for all. Oh as well as Old Power augmented shielding and strength.

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 04:34 AM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
janus77
Banana Genius

Re: Geniuses vs World Problems

Originally posted by Blair Wind

Of the guys you list, Reed would probably make the best use of the data to create logistic channels between various cities (and states) where there is some form of natural resource or demographics based comparative advantage.

Also, he'd probably create programmes to teach children to programme in python and use Linux. So that would be a tremendous improvement for generations to come.

Tony might develop a kick-arse Desktop for FreeBSD though, which people would enjoy using (maybe also make a port for Linux too).

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 04:49 AM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Lex Luthor is the most well rounded, IMO, followed by Tony.

I think all of these people could solve all of these problems pretty easily though. They're all dicks for not doing it already

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 01:03 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote