KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Turn it off or keep it on?

Do you ever turn your computer off?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, I turn it off when I wont be using it for awhile. 8 80.00%
No, its always on. 2 20.00%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Turn it off or keep it on?
Started by: Creechuur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Turn it off or keep it on?

I've been having a disagreement with my gf about whether to turn the computer off at night or to just leave it on all the time. We keep the system in our garage, so in the summer its real hot and in the winter its real cold.

I say the only time you should leave the computer running overnight is if its really hot, so the fans can keep it cool. Otherwise you should power it down before you go to bed or whatever. It seems like an unnecassary wear on the moving parts to leave it on all the time.

My girl thinks it should always be on, that its better for the system if you leave it on. She's not the only person I've met who thinks this. I say theyre crazy.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'll even post a poll to see what you do! Giddyup!

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Last edited by Creechuur on Feb 4th, 2005 at 03:47 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 03:44 AM
Creechuur is currently offline Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I turn my computer off every night when I go to bed, but not because it's "good for the computer". It's just too noisy to sleep with while it's on.

However, it's generally good to turn it off at night, let it cool down and stuff, no harm can come from turning it off every night. Leaving it on constantly can cause some harm if it's not put together really well. It can strain the PC if it's old, and it can over heat.

Anyways, I'd suggest turning it off at night. Can't hurt.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 04:02 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I leave mine on all the time...the screen saver comes on sometimes I put on stand by. I've heard that it is better to not turn it on and off all the time..but the reasons escape me.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 04:42 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

you have to turn the computer off - if you leave it on it slows the computer down

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 04:43 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kael
The Lone Wolf

I leave my computer on overnight! and do a restart about once a month. Very rare if i turn it off.

I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 10:21 AM
Kael is currently offline Click here to Send Kael a Private Message Find more posts by Kael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

...why do you keep it in the garage? blink

Anyway, my computer I turn off every night, but mostly because it's too loud and the power light on it is too bright for me to sleep with. My mom's computer we turn off about once a week laughing out loud

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 04:53 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Re: Turn it off or keep it on?

quote:
Originally posted by Creechuur
I say the only time you should leave the computer running overnight is if its really hot, so the fans can keep it cool.
I'm afraid thats incorrect. If its hot, then the best thing you can do to cool it down is switch it off!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 05:14 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creechuur
Ish Disturber

Its in the garage so I can smoke and compute at the same time. We dont smoke in the house.

Also, there might be a misunderstanding about what I meant by "hot". I leave the system on if its hot in the garage (usually during the hottest summer nights), but if the system is so hot its gonna overheat, I turn it off.

Thanks for the input so far though everyone. It seems as though this is one disaagreement I will be winning, hehe.

"Did Braveheart run away? Did Payback run away?"

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 06:46 PM
Creechuur is currently offline Click here to Send Creechuur a Private Message Find more posts by Creechuur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

turning off when no one is about to use it.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 06:53 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

sometimes i turn my comp off....mostly i leave it in a low power state(standby)

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 06:58 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

I always turn of the computer, 2 reasons, it makes much noice I sleep only 5 feet away from where the pc is, 2nd, it makes alot of heat, and I just cant fall asleep when its warm, I need it to be cool

Old Post Feb 4th, 2005 09:05 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I always shut down,I dont wanna waste power or take advantage of my computer and leave it on... (They need rest also)

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 03:49 AM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Re: Turn it off or keep it on?

Always on.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Creechuur

My girl thinks it should always be on, that its better for the system if you leave it on. She's not the only person I've met who thinks this. I say theyre crazy.

I am crazy, then stick out tongue

It's been working for 15+ years, so it's reasonable to assume I'm not doing it any harm.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2021 01:44 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Always turn it off.

Saves the PC's health and saves your electric bill

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 19th, 2021 11:13 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote