KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » the gnostics

the gnostics
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mr.smiley

the gnostics

just wondering if anyone else is interested in the gnostics

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 03:22 AM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

I' ve read about it.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 08:30 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 'the gnostics'

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 08:38 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

^thats exactly what I wanted to say, but then I though "well **** it".
Anyway what is it? Agnostics without an a?

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 11:46 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

Yeah I thought it was a typo too when I saw the title but then it's repeated again in the post so I dunno.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 12:19 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Gnosticism is an ancient philosophy. It states that the world was created by an imperfect god, called the Demiurge, and that it is inherently flawed/bad/corrupt. People have in them divine essence, which "wants" to be free from their corrupt, material bodies and rejoin God (not the Demiurge)/Heaven/something like that, but which is trapped on earth. When you die, your divine essence is just trapped in another body; what you want to do is free it. Freedom comes from knowledge (I think gnosticism is either Greek for knowledge or derived from the Greek word, in fact). But there were a lot of schools of gnosticism, having widely different beliefs, so that's just a summary.

Last edited by Gregory on Jan 7th, 2005 at 12:32 AM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 12:30 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
I think gnosticism is either Greek for knowledge or derived from the Greek word
it derives from the Greek word Gnosis which menas knowledge.
The gnostics wrote gospels as well but most of them were burnt destroyed or lost, much because of favor of the orthodox writtings of the 4 gospels included in the NT

Gnostic writings are "The gospel of Thomas", "The secret book of James", "The gospel of Mary", "Marcion", "Basilides", I cant remember any more have too look it up if I should mention the lot...oooh of course "Ptolemy"

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 07:40 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Gnosis, or knowlege, is defined as the intuitive comprehension of higher spiritual truth. Gnosticism is believed to have developed in pre-Christian times, a syncretic blend of Platonic philosophy and Pagan mystery religion that believed the creation of matter to be flawed, and the creator to be an evil force.
Gnostics believe that Christ was not truly human, but a messenger who only had the appearance of humanity.
quote:
Originally posted by finti
it derives from the Greek word Gnosis which menas knowledge.
The gnostics wrote gospels as well but most of them were burnt destroyed or lost, much because of favor of the orthodox writtings of the 4 gospels included in the NT

Gnostic writings are "The gospel of Thomas", "The secret book of James", "The gospel of Mary", "Marcion", "Basilides", I cant remember any more have too look it up if I should mention the lot...oooh of course "Ptolemy"

*nods*
In the twentieth century, dozens of Gnostic scriptures were discovered buried in a jar in the desert at Nag Hammadi. These included the Gospel of Thomas and The Thunder, perfect mind.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2005 01:05 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
markie
calgon take me away

I am interested in the gnostics, they had a some ancient wisdom that may be useful in understanding the cannonized version of the bible.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 11:06 AM
markie is currently offline Click here to Send markie a Private Message Find more posts by markie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I have many gnostic texts....It's interesting though the gospel of Thomas is a little confusing.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2005 06:49 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

guess Thomas was kind of confused

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 02:51 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

I don't think the text was fully preserved and parts are missing.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 03:10 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicSurfer

The gnostic gospels are no longer a good source to use. Since they were created much, much later than the originel gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They are not authentic compared to the four gospels.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 02:14 AM
CosmicSurfer is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicSurfer a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicSurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

The NT was only pieces of fragments.....The New Testament has even fewer surviving texts. Scholars think that not until years after Jesus' alleged death that its authors wrote the Gospels. There exists no evidence that the New Testament came from the purported original apostles or anyone else that had seen the alleged Jesus. Although the oldest surviving Christian texts came from Paul, he had never seen the earthly Jesus. There occurs nothing in Paul's letters that either hints at the existence of the Gospels or even of a need for such memoirs of Jesus Christ. The oldest copy of the New Testament yet found consists of a tiny fragment from the Gospel of John. Scholars dated the little flake of papyrus from the period style of its handwriting to around the first half of the 2nd century C.E. The language of most of the new testament consists of old Greek.
http://www.nobeliefs.com/DarkBible/darkbible2.htm

^ shows the fragment text.

Thus Matt., Mark, Luke, and John, are no longer a good source to use.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2005 03:10 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

DJ,sometimes I just want to give up.People will never learn will they?
At least you know.If you know someone else is bound to know.Where's shakyamunsion at?He had the right idea too.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 12:33 AM
debbiejo
Dreamer

^I think Shaky is off in Buddhaville...nah just kidding...He's off with his music recordings or something like that....And yes, wouldn't it be great if people really looked at their roots and saw what really happened and what was really meant by some teachings...."Christ being in you" as opposed to following an outside set of rules and hoping to get that connection..

Old Post Dec 31st, 2005 12:43 AM