KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)

Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)
Started by: ImOne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ImOne

Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)

According to Gallup, 35 percent of Americans believe that the Bible is the literal and inerrant word of the Creator of the universe. Another 48 percent believe that it is the “inspired” word of the same—still inerrant, though certain of its passages must be interpreted symbolically before their truth can be brought to light. Only 17 percent of us remain to doubt that a personal God, in his infinite wisdom, is likely to have authored this text—or, for that matter, to have created the earth with its 250,000 species of beetles.

Two myths now keep faith beyond the fray of rational criticism, and they seem to foster religious extremism and religious moderation equally: (1) most of us believe that there are good things that people get from religious faith (e.g., strong communities, ethical behavior, spiritual experience) that cannot be had elsewhere; (2) many of us also believe that the terrible things that are sometimes done in the name of religion are the products not of faith per se but of our baser natures—forces like greed, hatred, and fear—for which religious beliefs are themselves the best (or even the only) remedy.

Full text:
http://www.samharris.org/index.php/...xt/chapter-one/

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 07:41 AM
ImOne is currently offline Click here to Send ImOne a Private Message Find more posts by ImOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

I don't belive the Bible is intended to be taken literally in all parts. Not only is it full of metaphors, when you translate 3000 year old writings from an amalgam of different languages into modern English it would tend to change some of the vocabulary and vernacular.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 07:58 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I don't belive the Bible is intended to be taken literally in all parts. Not only is it full of metaphors, when you translate 3000 year old writings from an amalgam of different languages into modern English it would tend to change some of the vocabulary and vernacular.

I agree. Try translating the following sentence," My father would like to give you gift to take to you mother." from ancient hebrew (of which we only know about a quarter of the language) to arabic to ancient greek to latin back to hebrew back to latin again then on to english, french, german, spanish and all the rest of the world's languages over a perion of 3000 years and that sentence will not be remotely the same.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 02:31 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

17% huh??...Wow, that's not a lot of people thinking for themselves....Kinda scary when you think about how religions influence and shape the world with it's politics and all.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 05:06 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by debbiejo
17% huh??...Wow, that's not a lot of people thinking for themselves....Kinda scary when you think about how religions influence and shape the world with it's politics and all.

Actually it's funny how 83% of the people look at the world, see the nature of man and humanity, and choose to believe in God.

What's more funny is the flack they catch from the minority, which by all accounts, is more in control of the world than we are. wink

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 08:21 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

Originally posted by sithsaber408
Actually it's funny how 83% of the people look at the world, see the nature of man and humanity, and choose to believe in God.

What's more funny is the flack they catch from the minority, which by all accounts, is more in control of the world than we are. wink

I do hope you realize your mistakes.

If the 17% were more in control, they could... I don't know... fight for equality and legalise gay marriage?

But as far as I can tell, the government wants to get rid of two people's happiness.

And that is just one example.

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2006 09:54 PM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

in Norwegian it all would be " Why bother we all get cheese on our sandwich for lunch anyways"

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 12:46 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

These statistics are highly dubious

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 02:12 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
These statistics are highly dubious

I've read that something like 53% of families still pray over dinner, so I kinda thought it would be lower too.

Anyway to check the Gallup polls, and see?

www.impactchurch.info

Last edited by sithsaber408 on Feb 24th, 2006 at 02:20 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 02:17 AM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Makedde
Xena: Warrior Princess

It actually scares me that America is so God fearing, I think it's dangerous.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 03:32 AM
Makedde is currently offline Click here to Send Makedde a Private Message Find more posts by Makedde Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Originally posted by sithsaber408

For a long time man thought the world was flat and the minority felt otherwise.

Majority doesn't mean its right it means you have more people that will agree with you and make your choice easiersmile

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 03:42 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Re: Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)

Originally posted by ImOne
Could 83% of Americans be wrong?

Yes. Just look at who is president.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 06:17 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Makedde

Re: Re: Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

I can't stand the man and I don't even live in the same country! mad

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 06:42 AM
Makedde is currently offline Click here to Send Makedde a Private Message Find more posts by Makedde Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

Re: Re: Re: Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)

Originally posted by Makedde
I can't stand the man and I don't even live in the same country! mad

Stick it, Aussie!

GO DUBYA!!!!!!!!!

Attachment: dubya.jpg
This has been downloaded 80 time(s).

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 09:03 AM
Darth Callous is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Callous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Callous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

Re: Re: Could 83% of Americans be wrong? (stupid question)

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

Shut up and stop singing, hippie!

GO DUBYA!!!!!!!

Attachment: dubya.jpg
This has been downloaded 74 time(s).

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 09:04 AM
Darth Callous is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Callous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Callous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by DiamondBullets

GO DUBYA!!!!!!!

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 11:28 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by finti
in Norwegian it all would be " Why bother we all get cheese on our sandwich for lunch anyways"
I hear it's a popular treat there along with Yanky Mayo. whistle

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 01:32 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

I said it before, I'll say it again - Majority has the MIGHT, but minority has the RIGHT.

So yeah...majority can, and it usually is wrong.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 04:10 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Originally posted by DiamondBullets

GO DUBYA!!!!!!!

Happy Dance thumb up

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Feb 24th, 2006 06:08 PM
Makedde

Considering the fact that many Amercians found the sight of Janet Jackson's naked breats offensive, I'd say that about 99% of America is wrong. laughing

Old Post Feb 25th, 2006 02:37 AM