KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Holy month

Holy month
Started by: fini

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
fini
Hurricane stalker

Holy month

The month of late September- late October is quite special this year. For nearly 1.5 billion people it is a month of fasting, reflection and celebration.

In the hindu community it is the month of Kartik and for muslims it is the month of Ramadhan.

Both of these end with two of the biggest celebrations in their religious calenders, with Divali and Eid-ul-Fitr.( which happen to be 2 days apart this year) mind you they can never be on the same day, cause divali is on a new moon and Eid-ul-Fitr must have a moon to spot.

SOO as the month progresses I'll update the page with various activites and celebrations that happen here in Trinidad and from around the world.

For me, I fast for 2 months, but its my absolute favourite time of the year. This evening is the start of Ramleela here in my town, which is a 10 day outdoor play depicting the story of the Ramayan. I love it, yes i know it by heart but i can never ever see myself missing it.

Stay tuned.

To the islamic world, have a good month.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 04:30 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

I myself can't wait for November. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time of year. That and Christmas.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 04:44 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

oh my, Divali and Eid.......... lots and lots of food.
plenty work for divali, but oh well its worth it.

And yeah Christmas........ food for weeks.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 04:48 PM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by fini

Ever notice around the time of holidays, whether christian or muslim...a lot of food and eating is involved? you gotta love it big grin

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 04:50 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

what will a celebration be without LOTS and LOTS of food?

a good example. A hindu wedding is 3 days and you bet that there is food to feed over 100 people every single day ( ok the last two days try anywhere from 200-500)

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 04:55 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Originally posted by Fëanor
I myself can't wait for November. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time of year. That and Christmas.

Me too thanksgiving and Chunnaka and christmas!jm eek!

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 04:58 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

a good example. A hindu wedding is 3 days and you bet that there is food to feed over 100 people every single day ( ok the last two days try anywhere from 200-500)
I remember once when i was little and still in the philippines we were celebrating christmas..different from the states. the whole block where we lived roasted like 6 pigs and tons and tons of food and songs and singing and dancing and...yeah. lots.
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
don't you just love it though!?!? ever since i've gotten americanised, i love that feeling on Thanksgiving...the cool crisp air, that happy feeling and xmas songs soon to be played!!! i'm such a dork

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:01 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

I don't want to sound ignorant, but I also want to make fun of her....Chunakka is wrong, right?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:01 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't want to sound ignorant, but I also want to make fun of her....Chunakka is wrong, right?
ahahaha...leave her alone maaaan wink

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:02 PM
fini
Hurricane stalker

unless its a joke keep those comments outta here

but i know it is anyway,lol

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:04 PM
Fëanor

you know...ever notice how peaceful and full of love people get during the holy months and holidays? too bad we can't have that all the time.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:05 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

ahahaha...leave her alone maaaan wink

Thanks!So I don't know how to spell the word so sue me!jm roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:06 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Sounds like a Mexican wedding! laughing

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:07 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sam Z
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Holy month

The month of late September- late October is quite special this year. For nearly 1.5 billion people it is a month of fasting, reflection and celebration.

In the hindu community it is the month of Kartik and for muslims it is the month of Ramadhan.

Both of these end with two of the biggest celebrations in their religious calenders, with Divali and Eid-ul-Fitr.( which happen to be 2 days apart this year) mind you they can never be on the same day, cause divali is on a new moon and Eid-ul-Fitr must have a moon to spot.

SOO as the month progresses I'll update the page with various activites and celebrations that happen here in Trinidad and from around the world.

For me, I fast for 2 months, but its my absolute favourite time of the year. This evening is the start of Ramleela here in my town, which is a 10 day outdoor play depicting the story of the Ramayan. I love it, yes i know it by heart but i can never ever see myself missing it.

Stay tuned.

To the islamic world, have a good month.

Thanks Fini, same to you.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 05:11 PM
Sam Z is currently offline Click here to Send Sam Z a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Did you say food???

OK, I'm for it.............any celebration is worth celebrating............. cool

Old Post Sep 29th, 2006 09:37 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

Wow, now comes the time when i can finally start putting up pictures.

Today in my town it is the second to last day of Ramleela( an outdoor play held over 10 days).

In the play today Lord Ram( an incarnation of Vishnu) battles the evil King Ravana( pronounced Rah-one) for return of his wife and to rid the world/south india of his evil rule. When Ram defeat Ravana by shooting an arrow into his navel and then we burn an effigy of the King.

The Ramleela group here makes an effigy that is 65ft tall, its massive, that thing on fire looks amazing. But before, when they are tranporting it from the building site to the grounds where the play is being held, we have to load it on a trailer and then there is a small procession of the characters through the town. Here are some pics.

Here is them loading the effigy onto the trailer
(please log in to view the image)

Here is the trailer coming up the road, they usually have to clear the entire road because of the size of the effigy.

Another look of the effigy on the trailer as it passes through the middle of the town

Some of the characters in the procession along the main road. The in the middle( with the black chest plate and crown) is the one who plays King Ravana

I'll be back later with pics of them putting up the effigy and tomorrow with pics after the burning.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2006 01:17 PM
lil bitchiness
-

When is the Thanksgiving for you guys?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 8th, 2006 01:24 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Nov 23rd. Its the first time I see my family and home friends since late August! big grin

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Oct 8th, 2006 03:19 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

Wahhh my camera is dying, so I gonna have to load old pics from ramleela.

The light the effigy by shooting it with a lit arrow. Here we have the guy playing Lord Ram, waiting for his que to fire of the arrow.

Here is just after he fired it

And it burns

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 08:27 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

That man maintined his composure very well despite being burned.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Oct 12th, 2006 12:29 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote