KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » How Atheists raise their children...

How Atheists raise their children...
Started by: lord xyz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

How Atheists raise their children...

[If this is merged with another thread, like the "Atheists and Theists" or "The so-called religion of Atheism" threads for example, I apoligise.]

If you guys think Atheism is a religion, or like a religion, then how about this. Now this thread is actually targeted at Atheists for only they can answer the questions, but others are allowed to comment.

Now, for you atheists, how would you raise your children? Would you say to them "This is God, this is what some people believe about him/her, but God (most likely) doesn't exist." Now to me that sounds like Agnosticism. Because they're mentioning God to the child as if it's a possibility. Would an Atheist instead however, not even mention or talk about God to their child unless the child asks? I think so, that's what I would do.

So what I'm trying to say is, do Atheists not teach their children about God, or teach their children not to believe in God?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 03:11 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Which child would most deffinitively do, and that is ask.

So what then?

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 03:24 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Which child would most deffinitively do, and that is ask.

So what then?
If the child asks then "This is God, this is what some people believe about him/her." I guess. But I would ask why they ask first.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 03:26 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

And if the child says he/she has heard people talk about God, pray to god...etc.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 03:35 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
And if the child says he/she has heard people talk about God, pray to god...etc.
Then I would explain why they pray to God, talk to God and what God is.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 03:39 PM
lil bitchiness
-

thumb up

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 03:39 PM
Bardock42

I'd say we don't have the right to make decisions for our children., And we should condition them as little as possible. I think honest answers to questions are the best.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 04:28 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The point of this thread was to raise the question if Atheists really have made Atheism their religion in that they preach it to their children and try to convert people to that religion.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 05:45 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Children have to be taught to believe in gods and to adopt certain religious systems. If you don' t tell them that they should believe those things, then you are simply maintaining the status quo.

I believe parents should strive to teach about as many religions as possible rather than stick just to the dominant religion in their culture. All of these beliefs should be explained side-by-side. As long as you as a parent don' t privilege any religion over another, then your children shouldn' t either. As adults, they will choose their own religious identity and path.

Children should be as fair and objective as possible be educated about religion. If they are unfamiliar with religious belief systems, then they will be an easy target for evangelists for just about any faith. If children are ignorant with certain concepts then they will simply lack the intellectual tools necessary to fully understand and evaluate what they are hearing, thus making it more likely that they adopt a very bizarre and/or extreme religion.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 06:31 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by lord xyz
The point of this thread was to raise the question if Atheists really have made Atheism their religion in that they preach it to their children and try to convert people to that religion.

My experience with Atheists has shown me this: Since there is no Formal Doctrine or Atheistic Faith/School, Atheists are as diverse a group of people as one could imagine. Though there are two main reasons Atheist's give for not believing in God (1-no proof, 2-why so much pain in the world?), how they convey this to their kids is broad-ranged. Some make it a priority: Thou shall teach thy child: Believe Not in God. Others--seems like most--deal with it in a more casual manner, eg, bringing it up lightly (like during holidays) or letting their children ask questions.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 07:11 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

For my wife who is Catholic and I’m atheist have talked about this many times. We will introduce them to both sides but not force on side on the other, there will be some things that we will do like baptize them and go to church with her family on the holidays. My wife’s side of the family is very religious and I honor their beliefs by attending church with them during the holidays as well. While I know there is not a god, I also do not ignore the possibility that there maybe one either. You may say that I’m agnostic but I’m not, I just aware of the fact that I can be wrong until absolute proof has been found or proven.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 07:17 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Storm
Children have to be taught to believe in gods and to adopt certain religious systems. If you don' t tell them that they should believe those things, then you are simply maintaining the status quo.

I believe parents should strive to teach about as many religions as possible rather than stick just to the dominant religion in their culture. All of these beliefs should be explained side-by-side. As long as you as a parent don' t privilege any religion over another, then your children shouldn' t either. As adults, they will choose their own religious identity and path.

Children should be as fair and objective as possible be educated about religion. If they are unfamiliar with religious belief systems, then they will be an easy target for evangelists for just about any faith. If children are ignorant with certain concepts then they will simply lack the intellectual tools necessary to fully understand and evaluate what they are hearing, thus making it more likely that they adopt a very bizarre and/or extreme religion.

I complitely agree with this.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 08:10 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ThePittman
For my wife who is Catholic and I’m atheist have talked about this many times. We will introduce them to both sides but not force on side on the other, there will be some things that we will do like baptize them and go to church with her family on the holidays. My wife’s side of the family is very religious and I honor their beliefs by attending church with them during the holidays as well. While I know there is not a god, I also do not ignore the possibility that there maybe one either. You may say that I’m agnostic but I’m not, I just aware of the fact that I can be wrong until absolute proof has been found or proven.
thumb up You're right you're not Agnostic, I feel the same way, and would do the same if my life partner was religious.

The way I see it, you have to first be Theist to be Agnostic.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 09:18 PM
LatinoStallion
Perfection

See the thing is that Atheist parents don't necessarily raise their children "as Atheists" per se.

Parents who do not teach religion to thier children do not automatically enforce Atheism either. That is a black and white way of thinking and defining parenting in regard to Theism.

To raise children as Atheists is to convince them that God does not exist, OR to intentionally keep them away from religion in general.

A parent who does niether....who allows his or her child to beleive whatever he or she wants in regard to religion, is not raising thier child as a Theist OR Atheist.

What I don't get XYZ, is why is has to be ONE WAY OR THE OTHER for you ? Do you really see it that black and white ?

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 09:29 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by lord xyz
The way I see it, you have to first be Theist to be Agnostic.

No you don't.

You just have to be exposed to the concept of God.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 09:30 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Urizen
See the thing is that Atheist parents don't necessarily raise their children "as Atheists" per se.
explain.
Parents who do not teach religion to thier children do not automatically enforce Atheism either. That is a black and white way of thinking and defining parenting in regard to Theism.
explain. *cough*their*cough*
To raise children as Atheists is to convince them that God does not exist, OR to intentionally keep them away from religion in general.
For that to happen they must first be convinced God does exist. How the **** can you teach someone something isn't true without teaching them what it is? And it's kinda weird how to teach it.

"This is God, blah blah blah."
"I see."
"He doesn't exist though."
"What?!?"

You don't understand how Atheism works do you?
A parent who does neither....who allows his or her child to believe whatever he or she wants in regard to religion, is not raising thier child as a Theist OR Atheist.
I've already proven to you that someone who knows not of god is atheist.
What I don't get XYZ, is why is has to be ONE WAY OR THE OTHER for you ? Do you really see it that black and white ?
I don't understand what you mean by "Black and White".
No you don't.

You just have to be exposed to the concept of God.
If someone explains to you what something is, you'll first believe it to be true, unless it's taught as fiction, which would be a biased explanation would it not?

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 10:49 PM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

When I have children, I'm not going to have them baptized. I'm not going to take them to church. I have a catholic family, while I myself am an agnostic. Even if my children grow up believing in God, I'm never taking them to church because organized religion is nothing but forcing a template of beliefs on people, and I would refuse to subject my children to that

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 11:12 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Strangelove
When I have children, I'm not going to have them baptized. I'm not going to take them to church. I have a catholic family, while I myself am an agnostic. Even if my children grow up believing in God, I'm never taking them to church because organized religion is nothing but forcing a template of beliefs on people, and I would refuse to subject my children to that
thumb up

Old Post Nov 19th, 2006 11:13 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by ThePittman
For my wife who is Catholic and I’m atheist have talked about this many times. We will introduce them to both sides but not force on side on the other,.
Very wise. I believe that children are curious and alway always ask WHY. If we answer it for them, then we are conditioning them, that is why it is important to leave it with an open question/answer. Don't tell them "Why or what", but ask them, "What do you think, and what led you to that." Then let it go. They will be much wiser in figuring it all out for themselves.

As for what ALL Athiest do, is lumping them all together, I believe. Hmm, guess we should hear from more of them here.

I also believe in taking children to many churches or synogoges..etc, just for the experience of it and ask......"Hey what did you thing of that?" Then tell them about the history and belief of that religion..

May make them wise in knowing.

Last edited by debbiejo on Nov 20th, 2006 at 12:12 AM

Old Post Nov 20th, 2006 12:08 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I wouldn't force my children to only listen to the music I like, or only watch the type of movies I like, or only read books I like. Likewise I wouldn't restrict their religious freedoms. Children should be free to think for themselves, and indeed be encouraged to do so.

If they had curiosity about a particular religion they're more than welcome to look into it, follow it, so long as it doesn't cause them and/or others harm.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2006 12:36 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote