KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Believing in a limited God

Believing in a limited God
Started by: Thundar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question Believing in a limited God

Having browsed thru some of the older threads within this forum, it seems that many questions have come about regarding what is not possible for God to do.

Whenever someone brings up such a scenario, I'm always reminded of this particular verse.

Luke 18:27
And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

I know many of you are not Christians, but I just wanted to point out that this above verse is generally the one that comes to mind when debating issues relating to God's capabilities.

I do not believe in a limited or flawed God, I believe in one that is full of infinite possibilities, all of which are filled with loving intentions. His loving nature is defined by the bible as being patient, kind, longsuffering, humble forgiving, and merciful.

My beliefs are not exclusively based on my faith of what's written in the bible, they are also based on the way in which the world works around me, and the actions of God that I've witnessed within my own life, as well as within the lives of others.

So for those of you who believe and have faith in limited or flawed God, whether that God represents yourself("yourself" meaning you control everything about your life) or a God of a spiritual religion, please explain to everyone what motivates you to believe in such a God?

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Last edited by Thundar on Mar 7th, 2007 at 07:19 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 07:16 PM
Thundar is currently offline Click here to Send Thundar a Private Message Find more posts by Thundar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Believing in a limited God

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Thundar
Having browsed thru some of the older threads within this forum, it seems that many questions have come about regarding what is not possible for God to do.

Whenever someone brings up such a scenario, I'm always reminded of this particular verse.

Luke 18:27
And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

I know many of you are not Christians, but I just wanted to point out that this above verse is generally the one that comes to mind when debating issues relating to God's capabilities.

I do not believe in a limited or flawed God, I believe in one that is full of infinite possibilities, all of which are filled with loving intentions. His loving nature is defined by the bible as being patient, kind, longsuffering, humble forgiving, and merciful.

My beliefs are not exclusively based on my faith of what's written in the bible, they are also based on the way in which the world works around me, and the actions of God that I've witnessed within my own life, as well as within the lives of others.

So for those of you who believe and have faith in limited or flawed God, whether that God represents yourself("yourself" meaning you control everything about your life) or a God of a spiritual religion, please explain to everyone what motivates you to believe in such a God?

I think you have misunderstood why people point out the idea of a limited or flawed god. Christian mythology has a fundamental flaw. Simply put, a god that needs followers is not an omnipotent god. The fact that we are needed by god, or even loved by god, shows that god (the Christian god) is not complete.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 07:27 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

A flawed God is more plausible though.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 07:42 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by lord xyz

Unless you believe in a perfect god. wink

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 07:46 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I think you have misunderstood why people point out the idea of a limited or flawed god. Christian mythology has a fundamental flaw. Simply put, a god that needs followers is not an omnipotent god. The fact that we are needed by god, or even loved by god, shows that god (the Christian god) is not complete.

Well I don't really believe God needs us per say, and I'm sure many like yourself would debate whether or not we truly need him. All personal biases aside for the moment, if you had proof that such a loving God exists, wouldn't you want to have a truly loving relationship with him?

Not "love" defined in the way that the world describes it, but an unconditional love that never changes - always endures, and will always be there for you. Wouldn't it be a wonderful experience to be able to express that same type of unconditional love back to a God who loved you this way?

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 07:48 PM
Thundar is currently offline Click here to Send Thundar a Private Message Find more posts by Thundar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

Well I don't really believe God needs us per say, and I'm sure many like yourself would debate whether or not we truly need him. All personal biases aside for the moment, if you had proof that such a loving God exists, wouldn't you want to have a truly loving relationship with him?

Not "love" defined in the way that the world describes it, but an unconditional love that never changes - always endures, and will always be there for you. Wouldn't it be a wonderful experience to be able to express that same type of unconditional love back to a God who loved you this way?

If such a god existed, I would already be loved by that god. Love reaches out and does not require anything in return.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 07:51 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Unless you believe in a perfect god. wink
No. confused

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:07 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

No. confused

Don't be confused. It's me. I was just being a smart ass. wink

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:10 PM
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

If such a god existed, I would already be loved by that god. Love reaches out and does not require anything in return.

And I'm sure we're all loved by such a God unconditionally. But wouldn't you truly desire to have a loving relationship with someone whose love was perfect? One that isn't just comprised of the unconditional love he gives to you, but is also comprised of the unconditional love you give to him?(I'm using the terms "him" and "he" figuratively of course, as God is neither male of female).

EDIT: That was a bad mistake I must admit.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Last edited by Thundar on Mar 7th, 2007 at 08:17 PM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:11 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

And I'm sure we're all loved by such a God unconditionally. But wouldn't you truly desire to have a loving relationship with someone whose love was perfect? One that isn't comprised of the unconditional love he gives to you, but is also comprised of the unconditional love you give to him?(I'm using the terms "him" and "he" figuratively of course, as God is neither male of female).

What you are asking me to do is contemplate a loving relationship with Superman.

I am alive. That is proof of my relationship with God, however, I am not separate from God, and God is not separate from me.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:18 PM
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

What you are asking me to do is contemplate a loving relationship with Superman.

I am alive. That is proof of my relationship with God, however, I am not separate from God, and God is not separate from me.

No, I'm actually asking you to contemplate thinking about love as something that exists apart from yourself, and to think about it as something that is freely given to you. I think that if one wants to call themselves loving and demonstrate love in any relationship, then they will attempt to freely give the love they've received back to the one who has given it to them.

I believe that when you don't reciprocate unconditional love back to the person who has given this type of love to you -- then at some point, you have forcefully made a choice to seperate yourself from having a loving relationship with this person.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:34 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

No, I'm actually asking you to contemplate thinking about love as something that exists apart from yourself, and to think about it as something that is freely given to you. I think that if one wants to call themselves loving and demonstrate love in any relationship, then they will attempt to freely give the love they've received back to the one who has given it to them.

I believe that when you don't reciprocate unconditional love back to the person who has given this type of love to you -- then at some point, you have forcefully made a choice to separate yourself from having a loving relationship with this person.

Generally I agree with you, however, I don't believe in a "Love" that is separate from me.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:39 PM
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

Generally I agree with you, however, I don't believe in a "Love" that is separate from me.

Then we don't believe in the same type of love. And well...we don't agree. Moving on, what motivates you to want to be a "God." And what types of responsabilities do you think come along with being "God"?

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:54 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

Then we don't believe in the same type of love. And well...we don't agree. Moving on, what motivates you to want to be a "God." And what types of responsabilities do you think come along with being "God"?

I don't want to be a god. confused Is that what you hear when I say "I am not separate from God"?

Your finger is not separate from your hand. If it is separate, it no longer lives. The only way I can be separate from God is by not existing.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:14 PM
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

I don't want to be a god. confused Is that what you hear when I say "I am not separate from God"?

Your finger is not separate from your hand. If it is separate, it no longer lives. The only way I can be separate from God is by not existing.

It seems to me though that you believe that your finger can never be separated from you. Logically of course, it most certainly can.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:31 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

It seems to me though that you believe that your finger can never be separated from you. Logically of course, it most certainly can.

However, it never has to repent for it's sins and be baptised before it can join my body. laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:35 PM
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

You do indeed want to be a God if you believe that you cannot exist apart from God. By doing so, you are essentially stating that you have complete control over your existence.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:36 PM
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

However, it never has to repent for it's sins and be baptised before it can join my body. laughing out loud

Depends on how you look at it. If you make the analogy of sin being like an infection, then yes..you would have to cleanse the infection out of your finger before it spreads to the rest of your body. If you couldn't do this, then the only other alternative you would have is to get rid of the finger.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:38 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Believing in a limited God

Depends on how you look at it. If you make the analogy of sin being like an infection, then yes..you would have to cleanse the infection out of your finger before it spreads to the rest of your body. If you couldn't do this, then the only other alternative you would have is to get rid of the finger.

However, you believe that the finger starts with infection. Don't you believe that we are born into sin?

My belief about God is more like gravity. You don't have to believe in gravity to be held to the ground. Also, is it the love that gravity has for us that keeps us from floating off into space? And if we jump off a high building, is that sin when we hit the ground?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:45 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

You mean like, say, Thor? wink

But seriously, your statement is interesting. Please explain.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 09:49 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote