KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Did a historical Jesus exist?

Did a historical Jesus exist?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 14 51.85%
No 9 33.33%
Don't know or don't care. 4 14.81%
Total: 27 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Started by: Da Pittman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

I found this, rather long but an interesting read none the less and some interesting quotes at the end. Like to know some of your thoughts, I was always under the impression that he did exist but made larger than life.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 03:26 AM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Probably.

Though it could easily have been more than one person. None of whom were named Jesus

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 03:28 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Did a historical Jesus exist?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
I found this, rather long but an interesting read none the less and some interesting quotes at the end. Like to know some of your thoughts, I was always under the impression that he did exist but made larger than life.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

http://sonic.net/sentinel/naij3.html

Proof of Hell? || Dr. Donald Whitaker, Research-Scientist/Chemist

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 03:52 AM
JesusIsAlive is currently offline Click here to Send JesusIsAlive a Private Message Find more posts by JesusIsAlive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 03:54 AM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

laughing out loud

I read both JIA's link then Pitt's. It was the eaxct same things except JIA's was like "Woo...look at these!" And then Pitt's was all like "Nuh-uh! Here's why every one of those does only two things toward proving the historical Jesus: jack and sh*t."

The similarities to prior deities (the link lists a couple in detail, but barely scratches the surface) and the utter lack of anything convincing about Jesus as seperate from them and justified, was what led me away from Christianity in the first place. There isn't justification...I know because I looked fragging everywhere before I gave up and conceeded, because I needed to be sure.

Anyway, Pitt's link is a good (if bitter) synopsis of the evidence (or lack thereof) and other strikes against the factual-ness of the historical Jesus.

The dude probably existed. But he's probably rolling over in his tomb seeing all the nonsense surrounding him.

But I thought of something, if I wasn't me, I'd want to be Jesus' biological father. I'd be God.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 05:55 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by DigiMark007
laughing out loud

I read both JIA's link then Pitt's. It was the eaxct same things except JIA's was like "Woo...look at these!" And then Pitt's was all like "Nuh-uh! Here's why every one of those does only two things toward proving the historical Jesus: jack and sh*t."

The similarities to prior deities (the link lists a couple in detail, but barely scratches the surface) and the utter lack of anything convincing about Jesus as seperate from them and justified, was what led me away from Christianity in the first place. There isn't justification...I know because I looked fragging everywhere before I gave up and conceeded, because I needed to be sure.

Anyway, Pitt's link is a good (if bitter) synopsis of the evidence (or lack thereof) and other strikes against the factual-ness of the historical Jesus.

The dude probably existed. But he's probably rolling over in his tomb seeing all the nonsense surrounding him.

But I thought of something, if I wasn't me, I'd want to be Jesus' biological father. I'd be God.

But did you read this section "QUOTES FROM A FEW SCHOLARS:"? They are all smart people that disagree so it must be right, why because they are smart people. laughing

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 05:59 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
But did you read this section "QUOTES FROM A FEW SCHOLARS:"? They are all smart people that disagree so it must be right, why because they are smart people. laughing

...yeah, not the greatest logic. I just skimmed that section. I didn't say the link was perfect....just good. I read the historical analyses carefully, then browed the links to other myths and quotes, mainly because I'm already familiar with the shared myths and the quotes bored me.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 06:01 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by DigiMark007
...yeah, not the greatest logic. I just skimmed that section. I didn't say the link was perfect....just good. I read the historical analyses carefully, then browed the links to other myths and quotes, mainly because I'm already familiar with the shared myths and the quotes bored me.
I was joking around, I just thought the link was an interesting read. Mostly I was making fun or JIA in my last post, he likes to do that trick a lot. wink

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 06:13 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I don't think there's much evidence any way.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 07:29 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course he existed, how was the Bible written? Too bad the bible is just a book worshipped by the blinkered.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:10 AM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by The Grey Fox
Of course he existed, how was the Bible written? Too bad the bible is just a book worshipped by the blinkered.

There is actually some good stuff in the Bible, you just have to dig it up.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:14 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

do you play the tuba

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 11:15 AM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

If Jesus did live we would know nothing of him historicaly.In my opinion it's not a matter of,"Did Jesus exsist?" it's more a question of did a person exsist which the story of Jesus was based on.I think if a person who the Bible's accounts were based on lived,he was a rebel who caused a lot of trouble in his time,and was later glorified.

But that's what I belive based upon my own research into the subject.I suggest everyone does their own research and come to their own conclusions.When I say research,I don't mean read one biased book on why Jesus did or didn't exsist.Read several books that show both sides of the story.Look at old history,the writings of Origen is a great place to start.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post Jul 15th, 2007 03:23 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by mr.smiley
If Jesus did live we would know nothing of him historicaly.In my opinion it's not a matter of,"Did Jesus exsist?" it's more a question of did a person exsist which the story of Jesus was based on.I think if a person who the Bible's accounts were based on lived,he was a rebel who caused a lot of trouble in his time,and was later glorified.

But that's what I belive based upon my own research into the subject.I suggest everyone does their own research and come to their own conclusions.When I say research,I don't mean read one biased book on why Jesus did or didn't exsist.Read several books that show both sides of the story.Look at old history,the writings of Origen is a great place to start.

Jesus was a revolutionary.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 09:58 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by mr.smiley

Amongst historians there is little to no debate that Jesus existed. Its an accepted fact. Whether he did what the Bible says i.e. heal lepers is of course under debate.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:10 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Amongst historians there is little to no debate that Jesus existed. Its an accepted fact. Whether he did what the Bible says i.e. heal lepers is of course under debate.

Seemed different to me. You got any sources one could read up?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:12 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D...an#Bibliography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Brown#Works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.P._S...ks_and_articles

Those are all the fundamentals, you could try Augustine of Hippo aswell if you wanted and a very nice little book titled "Teach yourself: Christianity" Can't remember who wrote it but its a nice book.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:19 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_D...an#Bibliography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Brown#Works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.P._S...ks_and_articles

Those are all the fundamentals, you could try Augustine of Hippo aswell if you wanted and a very nice little book titled "Teach yourself: Christianity" Can't remember who wrote it but its a nice book.

All of those works? Do you maybe have a more accessible way for the layman?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:26 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

I suppose that was a bit of a cop-out.

Well, here is E. P. Sanders Book.

http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Fi...s/dp/0140144994

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:29 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I suppose that was a bit of a cop-out.

Well, here is E. P. Sanders Book.

http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Fi...s/dp/0140144994

Well, you have now pegged Bardock42 correctly. wink

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:36 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote