KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Catholics and Muslims Trying to Improve Relations.

Catholics and Muslims Trying to Improve Relations.
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Catholics and Muslim Trying to Improve Relations.

I'm glad to see these two having a talk. Hopefully good things will come out of these discussions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081104...gion_dialogue_2

quote:
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – Senior Vatican and Islamic scholars launched their first Catholic-Muslim Forum on Tuesday to improve relations between the world's two largest faiths by discussing what unites and divides them.

The three-day meeting comes two years after Pope Benedict angered the Muslim world with a speech implying Islam was violent and irrational. In response, 138 Muslim scholars invited Christian churches to a new dialogue to foster mutual respect through a better understanding of each other's beliefs.

In their manifesto, "A Common Word," the Muslims argued that both faiths shared the core principles of love of God and neighbor. The talks focus on what this means for the religions and how it can foster harmony between them.

The meeting, including an audience with Pope Benedict, is the group's third conference with Christians after talks with United States Protestants in July and Anglicans last month.

Delegation leaders Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran and Bosnian Grand Mufti Mustafa Ceric opened the session with a moment of silence so delegations, each comprising 28 members and advisers, could say their own prayers for its success.

"It was a very cordial atmosphere," one delegate said.

Tauran, head of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, told the French Catholic daily La Croix on Monday that the Forum "represents a new chapter in a long history" of often strained relations.

He said discussing theology was difficult because of different understandings of God. The closed meeting started with a Catholic official spelling out the Christian teaching that humans can only approach God through Jesus Christ.

Muslim theologian Seyyed Hossein Nasr responded that such a view excluded non-Christians from salvation and suggested ways to see Islamic parallels to Christian views of God's love.

Delegates said the discussion that followed was friendly and respectful, not a clash of opinions. "We need to speak openly so we get to know each other," said one Muslim delegate.

NEW URGENCY

Christianity is the world's largest religion with 2 billion followers, just over half of them Catholic. Islam is next with 1.3 billion believers.

Saudi King Abdullah visits the United Nations next week to promote a parallel interfaith dialogue he launched last summer.

These and other meetings reflect a new urgency among Muslims since the September 11 attacks, the "clash of civilizations" theory and Pope Benedict's Regensburg speech showed a widening gap between the two faiths.

The Vatican was at first cool to the Common Word initiative, arguing that talks among theologians had little meaning if they did not lead to greater respect for religious liberty in Muslim countries, where some Christian minorities face oppression.

"We can only have a real dialogue if all believers have equal rights everywhere, which is not the case in some Muslim countries," said one Catholic delegate who requested anonymity.

The agenda reflects the different views. Tuesday's talks centered on theological issues proposed by the Muslims, Wednesday's meeting will focus on religious freedom issues the Vatican wants to raise.

The Vatican delegation includes bishops from minority Christian communities in Iraq, Syria and Pakistan. Among the Muslims are Sunnis and Shi'ites from around the world and converts from the United States, Canada and Britain.

There are three Catholic and two Muslim women participating.

The delegations will have an audience with Pope Benedict on Thursday and hold a public discussion that afternoon, the only session open to the media.

The Forum is due to meet every two years, alternately in Rome and in a Muslim country.

(Editing by Tim Pearce)

Old Post Nov 4th, 2008 07:40 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I'm really interested in this

the most unfortunate part is that these theological and intellectual leaders of the faith do not necessarily have the ability to persuade those in the most extreme camps of their respected religions. It is much easier for Catholics, who have a central authority, though I can see, without much effort, radical catholics who could think the Pope has gone soft on any given edict.

For instance, there was recently a forum that gathered the leading Muslim theologians from throughout the Muslim world to discuss different issues of the faith. Their interpretation of Jihad vs the one that extremists use was radically different, and while it might represent a more progressive Islam that could present itself to the world, it isn't going to influence the extremists.

In a world with Fox News, protests in Toronto because of cartoons published in Denmark, and divisive propaganda coming from self-interested national governments, I am pessimistic about the ability of the intellectual class to affect any change in public perception. I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that there are Muslim voices screaming to be heard in the promotion of peace, plurality and religious tolerance being ignored entirely for minority sentiments of violence doesn't give me much to be hopeful for.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2008 07:56 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aequo Animo
Operation: Hot Mother

It's sad how Bin Laden has twisted the perception of Islam by erecting his own, sixth pillar through Jihad. Islam is a much more accommodating religion to outsiders and actually compliments a couple of the other religions with its historical commentary.
This large trend of negativity towards Islam will eventually pass, I believe, as globalization grows and geopolitics becomes more widely studied, people may come to realize that the extreme fundamentalism that inspires terrorism is a facade of Islam.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2008 10:08 PM
Aequo Animo is currently offline Click here to Send Aequo Animo a Private Message Find more posts by Aequo Animo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Aequo Animo
This large trend of negativity towards Islam will eventually pass, I believe, as globalization grows and geopolitics becomes more widely studied, people may come to realize that the extreme fundamentalism that inspires terrorism is a facade of Islam.

This is the part I wonder about. I don't know that it is one of those eventualities, as most people in a society are never going to be geopolitical scholars, and lots of things that have been known to scholars in many fields for years are not known to the public. In my own field, psychology, there is a term called "folk psychology" that refer to prevalent and long standing, though incorrect, public conceptions of psychology. I'm only 24, so I don't have a long personal memory of this, so things might be better 20 years from now, but from what I have seen, psychology as a science has had little to no effect on how the general public thinks about psychological issues. My worry is that there may always be a "folk geopolitics".

Like, Muslims make a very good "other" for Western society. I agree globalization will help this, but I remain skeptical. Mainly on this one, because my father, no matter how tolerant and educated he is, can't get over the media perceptions of Muslims, ie: crazies always shooting guns in the air. Maybe he is of a dying breed? I don't know

Old Post Nov 4th, 2008 10:46 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

The Pope has been at this for quite some time and his efforts seem to have won him a fair bit of influence amongst certain Islamic Leaders. Such as Ahmadinejad of Iran.

However, while the informed might warm to the Vatican I feel the vast majority of Muslims will still look at the Regensburg Address and think that that represents the Pope's true feelings on Islam.

An interesting dynamic in all this is that while Benedict gets closer to Islamic teachers he seems to be in consent conflict with the Jewish leadership, especially those of the Orthodox branch and Israel. (Examples being the canonisation process of Pius XII and the resurrection of the Good Friday Prayer.)

Old Post Nov 5th, 2008 09:39 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote