KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Bible, Pagan Holidays & Tradition

Bible, Pagan Holidays & Tradition
Started by: Nietzschean

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nietzschean
Of The Dire Pride

Bible, Pagan Holidays & Tradition

http://www.creatingfutures.net/arch.../halloween3.htm

In the link posted above there are references and orders from El himself about his followers the Israelites not socializing and participating in what others of other nations do. I think it is pretty clear in his command even if El doesn't outright specifically mention days like Halloween. He still states: "When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there. Deuteronomy 18:9

How do Jews and Christians reconcile Halloween with their religious command and order from El itself?

Or any other pagan rituals and holidays that were usurped in the name of christianity? it seems to me El is explicitly against such actions.

Discuss.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2011 05:36 PM
Nietzschean is currently offline Click here to Send Nietzschean a Private Message Find more posts by Nietzschean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TacDavey

That sounds like it is instructing people not to fall into worshiping idols or performing other sins that may be common in that society. Notice the word "detestable" when referring to the customs. I see nothing detestable about Halloween. It isn't like you aren't allowed to do anything that other people are doing when traveling. Like if you went to Japan. I don't think there would be any problem taking part in a tea ceremony.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 12:14 AM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Bible, Pagan Holidays & Tradition

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nietzschean
How do Jews and Christians reconcile...

The same ways they reconcile all kinds of other contradictions?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 12:21 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nietzschean
Of The Dire Pride

Re: Re: Bible, Pagan Holidays & Tradition

Originally posted by Digi
The same ways they reconcile all kinds of other contradictions?
selective reading and interpretation?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 01:05 AM
Nietzschean is currently offline Click here to Send Nietzschean a Private Message Find more posts by Nietzschean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Nietzschean
selective reading and interpretation?

Among other things, sure.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 01:56 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Or, as it is with some traditions old/new, religious leaders would just take the previous holidays that were familiar already and rename them. Then all converters have to do is show up to the same old stuff. Both Easter and Christmas are close to Celtic feast days - Christmas, the end to the long cold days.

I think Easter is actually Lughansa [or somewhere close]. I'd have to actually open a book to find that one out, though.
Ohgam stones/Pagan Religion/ check Wiki out.

It's actually really interesting - especially when Christianity started to become the main religion of the British Islands - because the old Gaelic stories and tales of Eire, stuff about faeire people, Fomhoire, Aengus Ohg.... a lot of stuff, just morphed into different characters and phases.

It's like the Romans did - all the statues that were Roman gods became God, Jesus, Virgin Mary, and all the Saints.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 02:02 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Originally posted by TacDavey
That sounds like it is instructing people not to fall into worshiping idols or performing other sins that may be common in that society. Notice the word "detestable" when referring to the customs. I see nothing detestable about Halloween. It isn't like you aren't allowed to do anything that other people are doing when traveling. Like if you went to Japan. I don't think there would be any problem taking part in a tea ceremony.

Halloween was originally a pagan festival involving sacrificing to pagan gods. It was nothing like what it is today. So that excuse is not very relevant to the people who actually invented the tradition.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 04:26 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Actly it is when the dead comes back the dead as the saints it was later on made into a pagan holiday but it did not start that way.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 02:46 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This is relevant:
http://imgur.com/gallery/2HWRU

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Actly it is when the dead comes back the dead as the saints it was later on made into a pagan holiday but it did not start that way.

Actually, I think you have that backwards.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 02:51 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

No I don't What makes you say that?

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 02:52 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

From history.com:

It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating.

So it was first a pagan holiday, then assimilated by Christianity, not the other way around. Christmas is the same way.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 02:58 PM
TacDavey

Originally posted by King Kandy
Halloween was originally a pagan festival involving sacrificing to pagan gods. It was nothing like what it is today. So that excuse is not very relevant to the people who actually invented the tradition.

Regardless of how it started, what matters is what it is today. It is no longer anything "evil" or "detestable" so there is no contradiction in being Christian and celebrating Halloween.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 05:32 PM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

From history.com:

It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating.

So it was first a pagan holiday, then assimilated by Christianity, not the other way around. Christmas is the same way.

Actually, in this instance it's not that clear cut. I think it is very hard to find credible evidence that suggests that Samhain was being celebrated before All-Saints Day. Samhain is one of those things the Victorians got a bit hot under the collars about and invented a fake mythology for that has crept into the public consciousness (similarly the makers of The Wicker Man were disappointed when they found that the stuff they based their film on was not, as it turned out, derived from ancient pagan sources but was made up less than a hundred years earlier).

Samhain always was one of the Celtic quarter-days, of course, but the direct connection of celebrations is rather tenuous. One particular issue is that at the point All-Saints Day came into being, almost no-one outside of Ireland was celebrating Celtic festivals so there would have been nothing to assimilate.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 1st, 2011 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 05:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Actually, in this instance it's not that clear cut. I think it is very hard to find credible evidence that suggests that Samhain was being celebrated before All-Saints Day. Samhain is one of those things the Victorians got a bit hot under the collars about and invented a fake mythology for that has crept into the public consciousness (similarly the makers of The Wicker Man were disappointed when they found that the stuff they based their film on was not, as it turned out, derived from ancient pagan sources but was made up less than a hundred years earlier).

Samhain always was one of the Celtic quarter-days, of course, but the direct connection of celebrations is rather tenuous. One particular issue is that at the point All-Saints Day came into being, almost no-one outside of Ireland was celebrating Celtic festivals so there would have been nothing to assimilate.

Kind of chicken or the egg problem. I won't deny that details are invented about the past to suit a culture's purposes, but something existed that they co-opted into Christianity, even if the details of it weren't exact.

It would be like saying not all Christmas symbolism is pagan. It's not, but certain elements blended into the ones Christianity added to it.

I will point out, though, that the quote I provided starts with "It is thought..." which is an acceptably neutral modifier for something that isn't 100% reliable but is the accepted historical wisdom surrounding the holiday.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 06:00 PM
King Kandy

Originally posted by TacDavey
Regardless of how it started, what matters is what it is today. It is no longer anything "evil" or "detestable" so there is no contradiction in being Christian and celebrating Halloween.

That's exactly the attitude being condemned in those passages; it WAS "evil and detestable", at the time. So wouldn't you say the catholic church was wrong to have assimilated it? The way it currently is, it has no connection to saints or to paganism. The issue is its origin.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 07:08 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Kind of chicken or the egg problem. I won't deny that details are invented about the past to suit a culture's purposes, but something existed that they co-opted into Christianity, even if the details of it weren't exact.

It would be like saying not all Christmas symbolism is pagan. It's not, but certain elements blended into the ones Christianity added to it.

I will point out, though, that the quote I provided starts with "It is thought..." which is an acceptably neutral modifier for something that isn't 100% reliable but is the accepted historical wisdom surrounding the holiday.

It's not actually the accepted historical wisdom though. Quite specifically, there is no direct evidence that anything was co-opted.

Indeed, on the contrary- the existing historical records we have about All Saints day actually pre-date anything we have on Samhain. This would actually support the idea that Samhain copied All-Saints, as ADarksideJedi suggested.

I would also point out that, in historical study, 'it is thought' is not an acceptable modifier but is in fact gibberish (an unsupported attribution). Even Wikipedia doesn't like such a term; it would get a 'by whom?' tag.

People have their opinions here but the idea that All-Saints is based on Samhain is not actually any form of supported or established history. Any Christian can simply say "It was never a pagan festival in the first place" and I don't think you would be able to prove them wrong.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 1st, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Old Post Nov 1st, 2011 09:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Ok, that's cool. I'd be interested to know your sources. I'm happy to concede, because I'm really not a Halloween expert or enthusiast. But I did a google search for "Halloween History" and the first 5 links all had references to some sort of pagan predecessor. There were varying levels of detail, but all were pretty unequivocal about it.

Obviously it's the internet so we can't just say "yup, that's fact." I understand that. But you seem pretty adamant here about something that is hard to dig up.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2011 03:16 AM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Originally posted by Ushgarak
It's not actually the accepted historical wisdom though. Quite specifically, there is no direct evidence that anything was co-opted.

Indeed, on the contrary- the existing historical records we have about All Saints day actually pre-date anything we have on Samhain. This would actually support the idea that Samhain copied All-Saints, as ADarksideJedi suggested.

I would also point out that, in historical study, 'it is thought' is not an acceptable modifier but is in fact gibberish (an unsupported attribution). Even Wikipedia doesn't like such a term; it would get a 'by whom?' tag.

People have their opinions here but the idea that All-Saints is based on Samhain is not actually any form of supported or established history. Any Christian can simply say "It was never a pagan festival in the first place" and I don't think you would be able to prove them wrong.

All Saints day is the next day after Halloween but I still find it hard to believe that it was a pagan hoilday first the same with Christmas.

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2011 06:51 PM
King Kandy

All Saints day is the next day after Halloween but I still find it hard to believe that it was a pagan hoilday first the same with Christmas.

Then puzzle me this, why is it december 25th?! The Bible never says when Jesus was born, at all. The only reason they picked that date was because there were lots holidays in that season already (its close to the solstice).

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2011 11:34 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Well it wasn't called Christmas, but various historical predecessors exist. The festival of Horus was around the same date in ancient Egypt, for example, having to do with the solstice as Kandy mentioned.

The overlap with Horus doesn't end there, it makes for a fun connect-the-dots with historical predecessors to Jesus to research his story compared to the Christ myth. But that's not really our focus here.

I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe, though. Thousands of years of civilization existed prior to Christianity, along with hundreds of holidays and practices. And several hundred more years went by before Christianity as we know it today was solidified.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2011 12:14 AM