KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Harvard Professor talks about Democracy and Religion

Harvard Professor talks about Democracy and Religion
Started by: Time-Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Harvard Professor talks about Democracy and Religion

"If you take away religion, you cannot hire enough police."

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:16 AM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

AS soon as he said "Democracy works" I laughed and stopped watching. Another fool who thinks the U.S. is a democracy instead of a republic. Not worth my time listening to that BS.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:25 AM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

He makes a good point regardless of saying democracy.

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:26 AM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
He makes a good point regardless of saying democracy.

Perhaps he does but when people say that they lose all of my respect and I don't care about anything else they have to say, tbh, because they're part of the problem. Perpetuating the lie (just like so many movies and the media does) that we're a democracy when we're clearly not.

"Democracies work". LMAO. Riiiight. Our founding fathers knew how democracies always tended to have short violent lives so they gave us a republic instead which is much superior to a democracy.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Sep 16th, 2015 at 06:00 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:48 AM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Clay Christensen does very good, groundbreaking work in his field of business. His books should be required reading for anyone managing a company or parts of a company.

But I don't think that makes him any more qualified than anyone else to talk about Religion. His premise that only Religious institutions provide the morality to make a country function is just blatantly false. Atheists and non-Religious people have the same levels, if not superior levels, of morality and empathy than Religious people. If he had just limited himself to talking about the aspects of personal morality in the functioning of a country, I'd agree with him, but he conflates morality with religion, and that's just false.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 08:05 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

It's funny how this guy is making the same argument that Marty Hart made on True Detective about the value of religion. If we remember Rust's response to him: " If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of shit"

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 01:08 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
It's funny how this guy is making the same argument that Marty Hart made on True Detective about the value of religion. If we remember Rust's response to him: " If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of shit"

Rust was just a generally "I hate life" kinda guy. His argument posed an inherent contradiction. With that said, this is the greatest scene in any true detective season and rivals some of Tarantino's work.

And I agree with bardock, I don't think that only religion provides morality. It just goes back to the moral absolutist vs. moral relativist argument, without there being a middle ground.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 01:11 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

" If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of shit"

Ppl are naturally good or naturally pieces of shit. Going by your statement, the good will be good regardless and the pieces of shit can be kept decent by "divine reward". Win-win imo.

Last edited by Nibedicus on Sep 16th, 2015 at 01:22 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 01:18 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Ppl are naturally good or naturally pieces of shit, going by your statement, the good will be good regardless and the pieces of shit can be kept decent by "divine reward". Win-win imo.

Rust's comment was pretty over the top lol. You could see the anger in his eyes towards the religious crowd. Great stuff from M.M. though.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 01:19 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not a big fan of religion, but he's got a point. Some people cannot control themselves without thinking a skydaddy is watching and waiting to punish them for doing bad things.

A large portion of the world is this way.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 01:45 PM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by long pig
I'm not a big fan of religion, but he's got a point. Some people cannot control themselves without thinking a skydaddy is watching and waiting to punish them for doing bad things.

A large portion of the world is this way.

People need some kind of moral framework, but it doesn't have to come from religion. Look at China, Chinese people aren't constantly murdering, robbing, and butt****ing each other in the streets, and very few of them practice religion.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 01:50 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So I guess every single person in prison right now in America is an atheist. Interesting.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 04:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

People need some kind of moral framework, but it doesn't have to come from religion. Look at China, Chinese people aren't constantly murdering, robbing, and butt****ing each other in the streets, and very few of them practice religion.

Uh technically nobody is constantly murdering, robbing, or butt****ing each other on the street. We might as well say everyone who is has mental issues because it's such a small portion of the population.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:12 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by Surtur
So I guess every single person in prison right now in America is an atheist. Interesting.

Where did you get this from?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:26 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Yes, moral frameworks are good.

Religion can provide a moral framework and thus can be good.

Other things that can provide a moral framework are good, too. It doesn't have to come from religion but getting it from religion isn't a bad thing.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 05:40 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Where did you get this from?

It just sounds like he is saying society might fall apart due to lack of religion.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 06:28 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

It just sounds like he is saying society might fall apart due to lack of religion.

I don't see this. Where was this said?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 06:31 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

He talks about how people began to follow these rules because they weren't just accountable to society, but also to God. He talks about what will happen to democracy if religion is gone. This is all said over images of violence, etc.

How do you expect someone to interpret his basic message?

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 06:37 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

He talks about how people began to follow these rules because they weren't just accountable to society, but also to God. He talks about what will happen to democracy if religion is gone. This is all said over images of violence, etc.

How do you expect someone to interpret his basic message?

I don't even know whose post you are replying to so I don't know how you expect me to determine how one person can interpret anything....

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 07:34 PM
Mindset

Most people are pieces of shit.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 07:53 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote