KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?

Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Question Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by so many Christians?

obvious troll thread on the topic was understandably closed, but it did generate a lot of heated discussion on this topic...so i thought this forum could do with a non-troll version of the thread.

to start, i've conversed with many christians who feel that the theory of evolution does not contradict their faith. they tend to ascribe this position to the belief that certain passages were metaphorical in nature. for example the notion that the earth was not actually created in 6 days, nor that "created in his own image" actually meant that god has a human face, arms, legs, penis, etc.

on the opposite side i see a group of people who seem to shun scientific theory in general, seemingly to protect their spirituality. these are the people i mostly want to hear from. to them i ask the question:

what threat would a universal acceptance of evolution pose for christianity, and how do you feel it goes against the teachings/ethics/morality of the new testament?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Sep 30th, 2015 at 02:55 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 02:51 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

*Yawn*... Poor attempt at trolling. Surely you can do better that, atheist.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 02:54 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I'll point out how most of the Christians in the world believe in evolution, it's more some narrower groups that have an issue with it.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 02:55 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Star428
*Yawn*... Poor attempt at trolling. Surely you can do better that, atheist.

perhaps we can get an opinion from someone who is not obviously devoted to
thread derailment.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 02:56 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I don't think there is any particular problem with evolution, since the core beliefs of christianhood are about leading a sensible and generous life, with has very little to do which historical genetics.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 02:59 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Q99
I'll point out how most of the Christians in the world believe in evolution, it's more some narrower groups that have an issue with it.

Exactly. Looks like another troll thread from the liberal version of TI. Good show, go ahead and close this thread Ush.

quote:
perhaps we can get an opinion from someone who is not obviously devoted to
thread derailment.

(please log in to view the image)

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:05 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

then report the thread instead of backseat mod trolling.

i'm sure ush can handle his moderating duties quite adequately without your guidance, psmith.

Originally posted by Q99

point taken. did the thread come off as a sweeping generalization or were you just raising the point for all to consider?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:07 PM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bentley
I don't think there is any particular problem with evolution, since the core beliefs of christianhood are about leading a sensible and generous life, with has very little to do which historical genetics.

The "problem" we have is that it's lies from the devil, Bentley, as I showed in the other thread which was closed because a certain atheist didn't like the facts I presented. I'm not about to repost everything I posted before to the troll who made this thread and is clearly just trying to get a rise out of believers. If anyone feels "threatened" it's atheists because they want to keep deluding themselves into thinking there is no God watching everything they do and so they don't have to worry about being judged by a supreme being on Judgement Day. Regardless, I"m not going to engage the troll who made this thread or any other atheists who come in here and sling around insults like "retard" at people who disagree with their ignorant atheistic views.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Sep 30th, 2015 at 03:12 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:08 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
then report the thread instead of backseat mod trolling.

i'm sure ush can handle his moderating duties quite adequately without your guidance, psmith.

As you say, that's nice dear. Move along now laughing out loud

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:11 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The "problem" we have is that it's lies from the devil,

See, I object to this line of thought- in that, one, the Bible never says the Devil goes around lying about the nature of things, which is *pretty* important and you think would be brought up in devil-avoiding tips, and two, it also requires the Devil having access to the entirety of the Earth to alter pretty much as he wants, and I'm pretty sure in the Bible, making and shaping the Earth was God's job, not the Devil's.

Is it really so hard to believe that God simply made a fantastically complex universe or what have you?

This hypothesis of yours is, at minimum, un-biblical in itself.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:12 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Q99
See, I object to this line of thought- in that, one, the Bible never says the Devil goes around lying about the nature of things, which is *pretty* important and you think would be brought up in devil-avoiding tips, and two, it also requires the Devil having access to the entirety of the Earth to alter pretty much as he wants, and I'm pretty sure in the Bible, making and shaping the Earth was God's job, not the Devil's.

Is it really so hard to believe that God simply made a fantastically complex universe or what have you?

This hypothesis of yours is, at minimum, un-biblical in itself.
Blaming the devil is a fanatasic way to avoid any and all accountability for any wrongdoing in the world as well. Devil made me do it. Hilarious.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:14 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by psmith81992
As you say, that's nice dear. Move along now laughing out loud

you addressed me, so i responded. if you don't want me to address you, stop desperately vying for my attention.

yeah i know "blah blah emotional". you're very clever.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:14 PM
Q99

Originally posted by quanchi112
Blaming the devil is a fanatasic way to avoid any and all accountability for any wrongdoing in the world as well. Devil made me do it. Hilarious.

It's also fairly un-biblical. The Bible talks about resisting sin and such, but doesn't talk about invisible devils everywhere or such.

The role of the Devil in the Bible is pretty darn minor.

He's not the serpent in Eden- that one was cursed to forever crawl on it's belly, obviously not something that applies to Satan.

In Job, he and God talk... conversationally.

Also? Doesn't rule hell. Hell's just a suck place for everyone, lake of fire (which doesn't eternally punish, it destroys). Bible does not give the Devil his own realm.

It's kinda a canon vs fanon thing. The fanon is big and popular, but it's not in the original text, or even the side-texts of the time (the Apocypha is basically EU material).

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:21 PM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also, just want to add that evolution is in direct contradiction to what the Bible teaches. I don't expect atheists to put much value on that since they ignorantly think it's a book of "fairy tales" but any person who calls himself a Christian should. I used to think that God created the universe and that He then just let it evolve naturally (not apes to humans though) but thankfully, I saw the light, after reading one of the articles I linked in the other thread. Now, I see that evolution is a complete utter lie. ALL OF IT.

BUt, I NEVER believed the nonsense that me or anyone in my family or my ancestors evolved from apes. LOL. I just don't see how anyone with a functioning brain in their head could ever believe such nonsense. Perhaps certain races evolved from apes but my ancestors originate from Adam and Eve. PERIOD.

Last edited by Star428 on Sep 30th, 2015 at 03:29 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:22 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Also, just want to add that evolution is in direct contradiction to what the Bible teaches.

care to elaborate and educate us on this point?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:24 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Q99
It's also fairly un-biblical. The Bible talks about resisting sin and such, but doesn't talk about invisible devils everywhere or such.

The role of the Devil in the Bible is pretty darn minor.

He's not the serpent in Eden- that one was cursed to forever crawl on it's belly, obviously not something that applies to Satan.

In Job, he and God talk... conversationally.

Also? Doesn't rule hell. Hell's just a suck place for everyone, lake of fire (which doesn't eternally punish, it destroys). Bible does not give the Devil his own realm.

It's kinda a canon vs fanon thing. The fanon is big and popular, but it's not in the original text, or even the side-texts of the time (the Apocypha is basically EU material).
That is what makes this even more deliciously poetic since you'll hear them preach about the Devils influence when it's hardly even a footnote. It's hysterical and I know that sounds mean but it is to me.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:26 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Some Christians take the creationist story of the bible to be literal, others feel that even if the earth is not 6000 years old, their creator should still have a hand in it beyond just having started it off. Since they hold these beliefs, and want other people to hold these beliefs, Evolution, which goes against either of them, is seen as a threat.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:37 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Bardock42
Some Christians take the creationist story of the bible to be literal, others feel that even if the earth is not 6000 years old, their creator should still have a hand in it beyond just having started it off. Since they hold these beliefs, and want other people to hold these beliefs, Evolution, which goes against either of them, is seen as a threat.

but which passages in the bible led to the 6000 year conclusion? (addressed to all)

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:42 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
but which passages in the bible led to the 6000 year conclusion? (addressed to all)

Well there have been multiple way that people have tried to calculate the age of the earth. A famous one by Bishop Ussher in the 18th century who used the following methods:

quote:

Early times (Creation to Solomon). Ostensibly the easiest period, as the Bible provides an unbroken male lineage from Adam through to Solomon complete with the ages of the individuals involved. However, not all of the versions of the Bible provide the same ages — the Septuagint gives much longer ages, adding about 1500 years to the date of Creation.[citation needed] Ussher resolved this problem by relying on the Hebrew Bible instead.
Early Age of Kings (Solomon to the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem and the Babylonian captivity). The lineage breaks down at this point, with only the length of the kings' reigns being provided and a number of overlaps and ambiguities complicating the picture. Ussher had to cross-reference the Biblical records with known dates of other people and rulers to create an overall timeline.
Late Age of Kings (Ezra and Nehemiah to the birth of Jesus). No information at all is provided in the Bible. Ussher and his counterparts therefore had to try to link a known event from this period with a dateable event in another culture, such as the Chaldeans, Persians or Romans. For instance, the death of the Chaldean King Nebuchadnezzar II (who conquered Jerusalem in 586 BC) could be correlated with the 37th year of the exile of Jehoiachin (2 Kings 25:27).

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism)

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:48 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

wow that's complicated. it's almost as if the authors of the bible considered it a non-issue.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2015 03:54 PM