KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » How old is the Earth?

How old is the earth?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
6,000 years (as stated in the Bible) 5 14.29%
4.5 billion years (as stated in science) 30 85.71%
Total: 35 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How old is the Earth?
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

How old is the Earth?

Was watching Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos and this was mentioned.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 02:55 AM
Jaggarath is currently offline Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's definitely more then a mere 6,000 years old. I just don't like that you did a poll though because now we really won't be able to escape the fact some people here think the Earth has been around less then 10,000 years.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:37 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I don't think the Bible actually says that though.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:40 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

@Surtur: Well hopefully they also comment to voice their "reasoning" why.

People here don't seem to be that shy about their views. wink

EDIT: Holy shit someone already voted 6,000 in the polls, LMFAO.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:40 AM
Jaggarath is currently offline Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yep it didn't take long. Some people think people were out there hunting dinosaurs and all that. It's super depressing anyone on the planet who isn't from some kind of extremely isolated society in the jungle that haven't had any contact with the outside world..could believe this stuff.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:44 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

What's their rebuttals about light and how it would be impossible to see anything beyond the, IIRC, Crab Nebula like Neil mentioned in Cosmos?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:48 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
What's their rebuttals about light and how it would be impossible to see anything beyond the, IIRC, Crab Nebula like Neil mentioned in Cosmos?
They then call the technqiues and math we use to see the stars and calculate their distances flawed and false. Anything to make it fit in with their paradigm.

"Dismay that the Universe does not conform to our preferences seems childish. You might think that grown-ups would be ashamed to put such disappointments into print. The fashionable way of doing this is not to blame the Universe—which seems truly pointless—but rather to blame the means by which we know the Universe, namely science."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 06:35 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

Science is the work of Satan, done to fool mankind into sin.

Howdy!

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 06:38 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

How do we even know the Earth is real?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 07:47 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

^

Howdy!

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 08:24 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Science is the work of Satan, done to fool mankind into sin.

You could replace the word science with religion and this sentence would make just as much sense.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 09:04 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Surtur
You could replace the word science with religion and this sentence would make just as much sense.

I'd personally replace "science" & "religion" with "Dat Ass".

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 09:24 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I'd personally replace "science" & "religion" with "Dat Ass".
And it's still only 6,000 years old. That's pretty young, you sicko.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 10:16 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
@Surtur: Well hopefully they also comment to voice their "reasoning" why.

People here don't seem to be that shy about their views ...

Actually, I've found nearly every pro-religion person, with perhaps 3 exceptions, to be EXTREMELY reluctant to share their point of view on this forum. It is rather the atheists and agnostics that are bold to express an opinion.

In answer to the thread question, I'm made to wonder how people supposedly have so much confidence in knowing what happened centuries ago, especially given that fields like archaeology have famous hoaxes attributed to them.

Then again, I've yet to work out where people keep getting the number 6,000 from. I'd be interested in someone explaining why that number is so oft quoted.

If you're serious about this, though, I am MOST interested in how you will respond to the following. It is the work of a man who does NOT believe in God, and, indeed, considers that all major deities and mythology derive from observations of ancient peoples. He poses one of the most nagging questions I've seen: How did planets exert SO very much influence over people in the past in the eras BEFORE telescopes and magnifying lenses made them easily visible?

This is at once part of the most serious challenge I've seen both to popular conceptions of how our universe actually works in terms of actual physics AND the most serious challenge I've seen to religion in the past 2 years:

http://m.disclose.tv/action/viewvid...ll_Documentary/

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 12:21 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

3 Days old.

This earth is a mere reconstruction of the one that came before.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Last edited by Adam Grimes on Dec 24th, 2015 at 02:14 PM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 02:10 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

6000 years was derived from Archbishop Ussher's calculations of Christ's family tree. He dates creation at 4004 B.C, which was roughly 6000 years ago.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 03:21 PM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
In answer to the thread question, I'm made to wonder how people supposedly have so much confidence in knowing what happened centuries ago, especially given that fields like archaeology have famous hoaxes attributed to them.

Just to be clear you also wonder this whenever you see any religious person being sure about Jesus and God and all that shit, correct? Like when you see Star post about "irrefutable" evidence of the Red Sea crossing..surely this must cross your mind? Or whenever people insist the bible is a true story?

quote:
If you're serious about this, though, I am MOST interested in how you will respond to the following. It is the work of a man who does NOT believe in God, and, indeed, considers that all major deities and mythology derive from observations of ancient peoples. He poses one of the most nagging questions I've seen: How did planets exert SO very much influence over people in the past in the eras BEFORE telescopes and magnifying lenses made them easily visible?

This is at once part of the most serious challenge I've seen both to popular conceptions of how our universe actually works in terms of actual physics AND the most serious challenge I've seen to religion in the past 2 years:

Thing is though..questioning if we truly 100% understand everything about the universe(we don't, scientists admit this) doesn't really equate to any kind of divine influence or deity being involved in anything.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 04:50 PM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry, but Intelligent design is the ONLY thing that makes any sense whatsoever. I'm not going to rehash this whole argument over again. I've posted plenty of links to articles recently in other threads that explain why evolution is nothing but utter nonsense. Course, atheists never bother to read them because they have no interest in reading anything that might prove they've been wrong all along. So instead they just hurl insults and mock believers instead of learning the truth. Then, they make a thread like this and when someone says evolution is a lie they shout "prove it!", AGAIN. LOL. FFS, it's been proven several times over but you atheists prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes to the evidence that unequivocally proves evolution is the biggest deception ever used on mankind.

As for exactly how old the earth is, I don't think anybody can really say for sure. The so-called "fossil record" and the method used to date bones and/or fossils is a joke that relies on circular logic and the assumption that evolution is real. I'm not quite sure how old the earth is but I"m quite certain that humans as we know them today originated about 6000 years ago with Adam and Eve. The "neanderthal man" is a lie.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Dec 24th, 2015 at 05:06 PM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 05:04 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

^^^ So again bluewaterrider I ask: the above post is INDEED making you feel all kinds of wonder about where that confidence comes from, right?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 05:44 PM
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

The Earth is so old she took her drivers' test on a dinosaur.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2015 05:48 PM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote