KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why is what we do any business is it of God's?

Why is what we do any business is it of God's?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Why is what we do any business is it of God's?

If God gave humans free will, why does he draw the line at certain things?
Is it conditional free will, because thats not really free, then.
Is this covered in the Bible?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 12:18 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Free will simply means that you can choose your actions, it has nothing to do with liability.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 12:37 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

But why would God create a capacity for evil? Or is that part of being created in his image?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 05:33 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
But why would God create a capacity for evil?

Because it's a requisite for free will.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 06:04 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You can't have a decent adventure story without a clear villain. God understands this, so he created Evil for us to side with or combat. Say what you want about Him, but the Creator knows story structure.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 08:58 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I guess.
As a grand experiment though, this free will seems to come with too many strings attached to be really considered free.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 10:32 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by riv6672
As a grand experiment though, this free will seems to come with too many strings attached to be really considered free.

Free will simply means that you are in control of your thoughts and actions.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2016 10:35 PM
Jmanghan

Re: Why is what we do any business is it of God's?

If God gave humans free will, why does he draw the line at certain things?
Is it conditional free will, because thats not really free, then.
Is this covered in the Bible?
You're control of your thoughts and actions, God is allowed to make the rules to enter his house. (Heaven)

If you wanna enter his domain, you need to follow his rules.

You don't enter someone's home and go by your own rules, or you'll get thrown out, or won't be allowed to go in at all.

I'm assuming this is the gist of what you're asking.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Last edited by Jmanghan on Feb 4th, 2016 at 02:53 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 02:48 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Kind of.
Suicide got me thinking about it. Bad as it is, it isnt considered the ultimate sin. But i was told its rejecting God.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 05:04 AM
Jmanghan

Kind of.
Suicide got me thinking about it. Bad as it is, it isnt considered the ultimate sin. But i was told its rejecting God.
Why the **** were you thinking about suicide?!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 05:39 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

There are many kinds of suicide, as far as I know, the side of it that is frowned upon by christians is considering that life is not Worth living and that things cannot get better. But of course, that assumes that you actually had a saying in those strong feelings that you somehow allowed to be overcomed by them (there is so much chemistry in our brains that you can legitimately ask when our good judgement starts).

The analogy would be the people who are disgusted by overweight fellows, those who see it as a voluntary thing, a kind of weakness (a poster in the forums used the expression "easy greed") that can be seen as a flaw of character. Technically there can be a bunch of reasons to being overweight, but fat people are often bandwagoned as unwilling to fight their weight progression. Saying that suicide is a sin against God assumes lots of things about the mentality of the person, it's really a question of motive (even though the "life is not yours to take" that comes from regular killing is also an element in the equation).

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 05:43 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Why the **** were you thinking about suicide?!

Haha, i was going to ask why suicide, specifically, was any of God's business, but decided to broaden the subject.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 06:56 AM
S_W_LeGenD

Haha, i was going to ask why suicide, specifically, was any of God's business, but decided to broaden the subject.

God doesn't prevents anybody from committing suicide or does he?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:32 AM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Well, its not. But it is if you're thinking about entering HIS domain of Heaven. God is basically our parent, and he's laying down the law by saying "Yeah, you can do all that shit... But you are NOT doing it in my house, you live under my roof (or cloud, in this case), you live under my rules."

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:56 AM
Bentley
Seitei

I've also heard that since Life is a Gift, destroying it is like insulting the people who gave it to you. I see that argument as a sentimental oversimplification, but it sort of rhymes with other things subscribed by the scripture. For example, the tale of the talents implies that people are on Earth to partially fructify what God gave to them so any kind of cop out, including self-destruction, would be against what God wants from people.

In those terms, suicide would be still very different depending on the situation, because the same parable mentions that the servitors come from different starting points, letting us to assume that we will be wanted for the things we were given and not in some ratioless objective measure.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 09:12 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Well, its not. But it is if you're thinking about entering HIS domain of Heaven. God is basically our parent, and he's laying down the law by saying "Yeah, you can do all that shit... But you are NOT doing it in my house, you live under my roof (or cloud, in this case), you live under my rules."

Originally posted by Bentley
I've also heard that since Life is a Gift, destroying it is like insulting the people who gave it to you. I see that argument as a sentimental oversimplification, but it sort of rhymes with other things subscribed by the scripture. For example, the tale of the talents implies that people are on Earth to partially fructify what God gave to them so any kind of cop out, including self-destruction, would be against what God wants from people.

In those terms, suicide would be still very different depending on the situation, because the same parable mentions that the servitors come from different starting points, letting us to assume that we will be wanted for the things we were given and not in some ratioless objective measure.

Gotcha.
But in regards to suicide, no one asked us if we wanted a gift, or if we wanted to come into anyone's house. We were given no choice.
Not saying i believe in suicide, i dont, i'm just wondering out loud/asking for opinions on arguments i've run across recently on God's perceived unfairness.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 10:35 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Through life we are often responsible for things that weren't our choice, there is nothing particularly surprising about the unsavory idea of having to "deal with it" when it comes to our own responsability in life.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 11:13 AM
riv6672

Not sure i follow.
Just saying, what got from what i read, and the gift comment above, is, if you get a crappy present it doesnt mean you have to use it/keep it.
Screwed up way to condone suicide, but, again what business is it of God's?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 01:14 PM
Jmanghan

Gotcha.
But in regards to suicide, no one asked us if we wanted a gift, or if we wanted to come into anyone's house. We were given no choice.
Not saying i believe in suicide, i dont, i'm just wondering out loud/asking for opinions on arguments i've run across recently on God's perceived unfairness.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "God's business" then.

You have a choice between heaven and hell.

Is that what you mean?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 01:16 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Not sure i follow.
Just saying, what got from what i read, and the gift comment above, is, if you get a crappy present it doesnt mean you have to use it/keep it.
Screwed up way to condone suicide, but, again what business is it of God's?

The "Gift" part is an argumentation that I don't take to the letter, as I said, in the Scripture there is this tale about being responsible with what you have and making the most of it.

I brought up Choice to tune in with your reply, my argument around it is that you aren't solely responsible for things you choose. In some cases saying stuff like "I didn't ask for this Gift" doesn't strip you from responsability, that works in a case to case basis.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 01:49 PM