KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Will Connery And Davies' Absences Hurt This Film?

Will Connery And Davies' Absences Hurt This Film?
Started by: Ahnold

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Question Will Connery And Davies' Absences Hurt This Film?

Hey guys. This is my first thread (and, indeed, post) to the brand-spankin' new Indy forum, btw (heh - I'm still in disbelief that this thing actually *finally* exists lol!), so go easy on me stick out tongue .

My question is simply this: now that we know for certain that Sean Connery and John Rhys Davies will *not* be reprising their roles (as Prof. Henry Jones Sr. and Sallah, respectively) in the upcoming Indy IV, do you guys feel that their absences are going to adversely affect the film? True, neither character appeared in all 3 movies (Connery's, of course, only actually appeared in no. 3), but with the old films now so ingrained in our collective minds, does anyone think that the upcoming movie will suffer because of these characters' absences? Thoughts appreciated.

Hoping that this will soon become the coolest forum here at the KMC yes . See you guys around!

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post Jun 18th, 2007 04:49 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Re: Will Connery And Davies' Absences Hurt This Film?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ahnold
Hey guys. This is my first thread (and, indeed, post) to the brand-spankin' new Indy forum, btw (heh - I'm still in disbelief that this thing actually *finally* exists lol!), so go easy on me stick out tongue .

My question is simply this: now that we know for certain that Sean Connery and John Rhys Davies will *not* be reprising their roles (as Prof. Henry Jones Sr. and Sallah, respectively) in the upcoming Indy IV, do you guys feel that their absences are going to adversely affect the film? True, neither character appeared in all 3 movies (Connery's, of course, only actually appeared in no. 3), but with the old films now so ingrained in our collective minds, does anyone think that the upcoming movie will suffer because of these characters' absences? Thoughts appreciated.

Hoping that this will soon become the coolest forum here at the KMC yes . See you guys around!

The films did fine with their absense, but I would not mind seeing Connery one last time reprising his role as Henry Jones. His presense made the last crusade more comical than the rest of the films and I enjoyed that.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2007 05:27 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Sean Connery was not in Raiders, and neither were in Temple of Doom, and both were fine films. I don't think it will affect them adversely.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 03:01 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Sean Connery's absence will hurt this a whole lot.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 10:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Sean Connery's absence will hurt this a whole lot.

Explain.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 03:23 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I want to know where did you get your info about sean connary won't be returning all i know is John Rhys davis won't be.

Don't worry i just found out about it

quote:
Henry Jones, Sr. was in the script, but Sean Connery turned the film down, finding retirement too enjoyable

Last edited by Kazenji on Jun 20th, 2007 at 09:48 AM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 09:45 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

It doesn't matter if they're not in it. It's all about Indy. Though there are a lot of rumours about Connery being in poor health right now. Hope he's OK.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 11:13 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
History Buff

I think i'm in he minority here but i think COnnery NOT being in Indy4 is a Good thing. Raiders, IMO, was far and away the best of the first 3. Although i liked Last Crusade i felt it was too comedic and somewhat silly. Indy having his dad as a sidekick didn't work for me. Indy works much better alone ala James Bond. He doesn't need a sidekick to function. I will miss Sallah however.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 07:40 PM
History Buff is currently offline Click here to Send History Buff a Private Message Find more posts by History Buff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

though connery was a perfect fit for Indy's pop, and added much spice to the film. I think one movie in the series is enough for him. This is going to be or most likely going to be fords last indy movie. At this point indy fans just want to see indy back. Having connery reprise his role would take to much focus away from indy's character to me. I think connery not being in the movie will actually help it. Instead of people going to see indy and his dad, they will be going to see indy

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 09:16 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

If it is fords last indy movie they could allways go down the james bond path for indy get a different actor to play him for another movie.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 09:05 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

I hope that in 20 years time CGI has advanced to the level where we can create 100% realistic humans on film then we could have loads of Indy movies with a 40yr old Ford. That would be awesome. Ford IS Indiana Jones and unlike Bond or Batman nobody else could or should play him.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 09:47 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iKinneas
Black Swordsman

Originally posted by amity75
I hope that in 20 years time CGI has advanced to the level where we can create 100% realistic humans on film then we could have loads of Indy movies with a 40yr old Ford. That would be awesome. Ford IS Indiana Jones and unlike Bond or Batman nobody else could or should play him.

very well put. smile

A person is very strong when he seeks to protect something. I'll expect a good fight. - Heathcliff, SAO 1:13

Old Post Jun 21st, 2007 03:02 PM
iKinneas is currently offline Click here to Send iKinneas a Private Message Find more posts by iKinneas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by amity75

Thats what everyone including me thought about Bond and connery, until david craig showed us how bond should have been played all along

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2007 02:30 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EHmasterJedi
Jedi Master

I dont think having neither of them in the film will hurt it, as we know the movies are just as good without them, but in general i think everyone was looking forward to seeing some of the old characters back other than just Indiana, i think its disappointing but not the end of the world.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2007 06:12 AM
EHmasterJedi is currently offline Click here to Send EHmasterJedi a Private Message Find more posts by EHmasterJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Connery not really...Davis....yeah.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 09:46 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

I think Shia Lebouf will take the place of Sala, not the character but just as a sidekick
and I hope that the will put Sean Connery in at the end for a cameo, maybe Indy will arrive home and see his dad, and say I'm home?
then it will end
I don't think they will do another after this Harrison is getting too old.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2007 06:54 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

It's not that it will hurt the film, per se, but how are we supposed to learn anything about Indy now? Usually actions speak louder than words, but with Indy, we gain insight from him through other characters, like how he is with Sallah and his dad and Marion and Marcus and people like that. So without either his dad or Sallah in this one, it just seems like it will be detached from the other movies, like it won't belong.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2007 12:29 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

None of those people were in the temple of doom.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2007 04:01 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DoomsdayClock

To be honest, the recycling of old characters into sequels for the sake of putting them in is a mistake. I enjoyed Temple of Doom because it was a complete departure from Raiders. New characters allow writers to make a good movie period, without having to shoehorn someone into the plot.

I actually think the re-hash of Sallah, Brody and Nazis in the third film was a disappointment.

Send Indy to China or Russia. That's the kind of movie I want to see. Not the same people and places reused for nostalgia's sake.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2007 07:35 PM
DoomsdayClock is currently offline Click here to Send DoomsdayClock a Private Message Find more posts by DoomsdayClock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

ill miss Marcus Brody more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post Aug 31st, 2007 09:49 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote