KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Nazis make better villains than Soviets.

Nazis make better villains than Soviets.
Started by: WrathfulDwarf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (70): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Nazis make better villains than Soviets.

Saw it at midnight. Really good! I really had a blast seen Indy crack the whip and run from deadly traps and making great escapes.

The villains were really good for Kingdom of the Skull. However, it does not feel the same. See, it would make more sense that the villains for this film were Nazis and not Ruskies. The thing is...Soviets weren't really big fans of Mythology or treasure hunting. They were more interested in space travel and nuclear weapons.

The Nazis were more mythical. It makes more sense to have had the film use former Nazis as villains trying to get to the skull and revive the Nazi regime during the early days of the cold war. At least that's how I see it.

So what do you think? Nazis over Soviets?

Go see Indiana Jones...you'll like it. smile

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 03:19 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Nazis would have been better, but I dont mind the Soviets.
They mentioned something about waking up an army of undead or something? Could have just had some Nazis trying to revive the regime or something just as an added plot thing.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 03:47 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Soviets in the 50s were considered pretty much as evil as nazi's. Today we look at them them more mildly, and nazi's are still considered evil.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 05:02 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

I think the Russians have/had great potential to become the better villains, but I also prefer the Nazi's over the Russians. Perhaps it's because of how each were different that one another in the movies. I wasn't at all indimidated by the Russians, the Nazi's on the other hand felt more evil, on a much grander scale.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 06:50 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Outbound

They mentioned something about waking up an army of undead or something? Could have just had some Nazis trying to revive the regime or something just as an added plot thing.

You know, the setting was actually quite perfect for that plot. South America during the 50s was the most notorious hide out for Nazis who escape Europe after the fall of the Nazi regime. It would have made more sense to use that story.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 10:54 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

I didn't mind them and they fit for the 50's

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 11:33 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
You know, the setting was actually quite perfect for that plot. South America during the 50s was the most notorious hide out for Nazis who escape Europe after the fall of the Nazi regime. It would have made more sense to use that story.

I would have been a very forced "we need nazi's as baddies for Indy" approach.

In the end, the best villain yet must be Belloq.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 06:29 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

On the russians and the occult, mythology Etc.... I reakon they were trying to do something like with the game Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine because With it the russians in it were excavating some babalyon ruins looking for some machine so they contact some god

So yea going by what they've been doing with the russians with that game and this movie they seem to be going after stuff so they can contact more godlike beings rather then go with the nazi path to look for some artifact so they can gain some ultimate power.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 10:54 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I agree that the Russians in this were inferior screen-villians to the Nazis.

However, the real reason that the villians had no "ooomph" behind 'em in this is, that even if they were well acted -which they weren't- the tone of the whole movie being a family cineplex comedy would never allow for true menace.

A decent villian would perhaps have been wasted on this flick in that context.

NO WONDER Connery turned the script down.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 11:00 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Re: Nazis make better villains than Soviets.

Saw it at midnight. Really good! I really had a blast seen Indy crack the whip and run from deadly traps and making great escapes.

The villains were really good for Kingdom of the Skull. However, it does not feel the same. See, it would make more sense that the villains for this film were Nazis and not Ruskies. The thing is...Soviets weren't really big fans of Mythology or treasure hunting. They were more interested in space travel and nuclear weapons.

The Nazis were more mythical. It makes more sense to have had the film use former Nazis as villains trying to get to the skull and revive the Nazi regime during the early days of the cold war. At least that's how I see it.

So what do you think? Nazis over Soviets?

Go see Indiana Jones...you'll like it. smile

Though, unless I'm mistaken, Stalin was intrested in the possible, though doubtful, applications of mind-control, which was what the soviets were going for. Albet, it was a lowly funded and not as highly sought as space travel and nukes. And he was always looking for knowledge that noone else knew, to give him an edge if the war went hot.

I do, however think that the Nazis would have given Indy 4 more of a classic feel, but, who would have been leading them? I just kinda wish that Indy 4 had stuck closer to the actual legends of the cristal skulls than it did.

all-in-all, however, I enjoyed it. Not as much as Raders or the Last Crusade, but I thought it was beter than Temple of Doom. ( I didn't really care much for temple of doom.)

Last edited by Mandrag Ganon on May 23rd, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 11:23 AM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Temple of Doom was more of a true Indy film than this one though.
Its a classic.

Whereas this one is just a cynical homage to better days at best, imo.

Its a sad day when an appearance by Scrub's "The Janitor" isn't funny too. stick out tongue

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on May 23rd, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 11:28 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, I'll watch it tonight. I hope I'll like it.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 12:12 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

NO WONDER Connery turned the script down.

After that horrendous mess with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I'm glad he retired.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 03:08 PM
queeq
Chaos

I am now so curious about Frank Darabont's original script. Which is the one Lucas turned down... and now we have this. Has George been meddling again in JarJar mode?

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 08:18 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

After that horrendous mess with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I'm glad he retired.

Yea i also read a thing on that movie where Sean did'nt get along with the director and apparantly they had $185 million for the movie did'nt look it tho.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 06:44 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Quarrels...

Old Post May 24th, 2008 07:02 AM
exanda kane

Cate Blanchett was great (as per usual) but I have to say, Nazis make more menacing villains than Soviets.

Y'know, Nazis were just bad - makes you appreciate how Alison Doody managed to make Elsa sympathetic - but with the Soviets, you reach a grey area, because the USA weren't quite the golden heroes they made themselves out to be either.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post May 24th, 2008 11:36 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Blanchett did great. Too bad her character didn't have much depth scriptwise.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 01:02 PM
exanda kane

Nope. But that was common for alot of characters. They just didn't get the breathing space needed to justify their presence in the film.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post May 24th, 2008 01:06 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by queeq
Blanchett did great. Too bad her character didn't have much depth scriptwise.

Or at all.

Felt disappointed for her and Ray Winstone.

Her accent work was dodgy too.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 01:34 PM