KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Something Wicked This Way Comes

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Started by: Gideon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Publius has informed me that he's completed one of the reconstructions to his analysis of Emperor Palpatine, "Something Wicked This Way Comes: the Life and Times of Palpatine the Undying". In all actuality, it's a new introduction to the analysis (and it's very lengthy), which covers a bit regarding Palpatine's networks, private life, philosophy and doctrines, friends and allies, and his involvement with the dark side of the Force.

Here's a link: http://www.domuspublica.net/somethi..._way_comes.html

It's very good. Enjoy.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 10:07 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Something Wicked This Way Comes

This guy is one hell of a writer. However, one begins to question how much time he spends on doing this..

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 10:28 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Wow that is long, and im only half way done. But im looking forward to the next part.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 10:29 PM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

No idea when it'll be done, one can only speculate. But he is a prolific writer and as a debater, he's also peerless, and puts major emphasis on source citations and objectivity.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 12:18 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Publius

Oh, stop it Gideon, you're embarassing me. love stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 05:05 PM
Click here to Send Publius a Private Message Find more posts by Publius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Just a biography of a dull character though? :/

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 05:09 PM
Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Publius
Oh, stop it Gideon, you're embarassing me. love stick out tongue

It's great to know that Publius and I are always on your mind, Nebaris.

quote:
Originally posted by exanda kane
Just a biography of a dull character though? :/

LOL, it's good to see that you're still a beacon of positive thinking, Exanda. Out of curiosity, when it comes to the EU, why post if all your responses are going to be negative? It's characteristic of someone who enjoys saying non-positive things.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 11:07 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I was gonna read it, but then I was like "Wait, this dudes typing in a super small font.. on a really long page." So then I stopped reading it and came on here and posted this reply instead. Now I'm gonna go wank. Bye.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 11:20 PM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Originally posted by Gideon
LOL, it's good to see that you're still a beacon of positive thinking, Exanda. Out of curiosity, when it comes to the EU, why post if all your responses are going to be negative? It's characteristic of someone who enjoys saying non-positive things.

Well, I'm sorry if I spoiled your 'fun', but my question still stands; is this simply a character biography of Palpatine or is it something else/more (delete as applicable)?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 11:59 PM
Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was an excellent read, as I would expect no less from Publius. For all of you kids that like to *****, you can read this on the john, it's what I did.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 12:22 AM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

w-we can?

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 05:12 AM
Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elok Quintly
Sidious Worshipper

I've always loved Publius' work, especially his Palpatine biography. The only missing information I can discern from this latest update is the fact that Triclops isn't Palpatine's biological son.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 09:26 PM
Click here to Send Elok Quintly a Private Message Find more posts by Elok Quintly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Why not use footnotes, seriously? Fluency gets clogged up and the writing suffers because of it. My first criticism by the way.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 09:48 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why not use footnotes, seriously? Fluency gets clogged up and the writing suffers because of it. My first criticism by the way.

The first of many, I'm sure. Out of curiosity, Exanda, aren't you in a similar field?

As to your earlier question, he writes fanfiction in his "Inventions" section, but the rest is essentially essays.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 10:10 PM
exanda kane

I don't write biographies for fictional characters if that's what you mean. And neither do I do it for fun; it's a requirement to finish my mezra of course-age.

The writing is, fair enough, good and coherent (although humour's a'lackin') but I just don't see why this has been written and why it has been put on a pedastel by yourself for anything other than the subject matter. Does that count as a second criticism? I'd appreciate someone to tally; I'm not good with numbers.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 10:46 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The writing is, fair enough, good and coherent (although humour's a'lackin') but I just don't see why this has been written and why it has been put on a pedastel by yourself for anything other than the subject matter. Does that count as a second criticism? I'd appreciate someone to tally; I'm not good with numbers.

Well, it's kind've like how I don't understand why you put Harrison Ford and Han Solo on such a pedastel or why you continue to post on a forum with virtually every post being critical or otherwise negative. It comes down to subjectivity, Exanda, and what Publius gives is a very thorough document of information with sources for nearly every statement, which extends well beyond Palpatine, and myself and others admire his methodology.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2008 11:03 PM
exanda kane

It's actually nothing like that at all. I realise this may be going off topic now, so I shall keep it short and snappy(-ish):

Why write a pseudo-essay on the life of the good ol' Emperor without exploring anything outside of this little bubble fans of SW have created? It may look nice with the little font and the amount of sources (none of them correctly cited I might add) but it has no value in any circles other than the one mentioned. It would do justice to the amount of effort put into that writing if it had an argument; it alludes to Shakespeare, yet does nothing with it.

And on a side note, my lauding of Harrison Ford is more of a reactionary effect of reading a lot of posts about predictable Jedi and their over-the-top exploits.

Again, you may admire this guy, but there are hundreds of essays on SW out there that are both enjoyable and interesting. Go read them. They have a point to them. Admire those.

[edit: in fact, there are a few that focus on Chewie being the only one not getting the medal for instance: priceless.]

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 12:27 AM
Elok Quintly
Sidious Worshipper

The point is to compile a comprehensive biography of sorts, synthesizing all of the sources available to produce a coherent repository of information on the character of Palpatine. You may not find it interesting, but other fans might.

Palpatine is far more complex character than people give him credit for, and this series of essays is proof of this.

Last edited by Elok Quintly on Mar 21st, 2008 at 01:32 AM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 01:29 AM
Click here to Send Elok Quintly a Private Message Find more posts by Elok Quintly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Complex for Star Wars maybe, but otherwise no. The more people try and defend a mere biography, because that is what it is, as some bastion of knowledge, the more I'm just gonna cain it down.

Note to Gideon: That negative enough? wink

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 01:35 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Complex for Star Wars maybe, but otherwise no. The more people try and defend a mere biography, because that is what it is, as some bastion of knowledge, the more I'm just gonna cain it down.

Note to Gideon: That negative enough? wink

Exanda, you're more than welcome to your opinion. That you prefer to spread constant negativity is your choice, though it does tend to make one conclude that your mind is a cache of numerous psychological disturbances, but if that's how you choose to live your life, far be it from me to judge you.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2008 02:31 AM