KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » God Bless America?

God Bless America?
Started by: JesusIsAlive

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

God Bless America?

Why do we sing this song if Thomas Jefferson meant for there to be a separation between church and state?

p.s. I'm all in favor of this song.

big grin

Proof of Hell? || Dr. Donald Whitaker, Research-Scientist/Chemist

Last edited by JesusIsAlive on Oct 22nd, 2010 at 02:27 AM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:25 AM
JesusIsAlive is currently offline Click here to Send JesusIsAlive a Private Message Find more posts by JesusIsAlive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Probably because it was written by Irving Berlin in the early 1900s and has nothing at all to do with Thomas Jefferson or the foundation of the United States.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:28 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

lol at Sym's response. Amen.

Even if one is "for" God, overwrought nationalism can be a scary thing in such a context. "God Bless America, to the exclusion of or at least indifference toward other countries" is the subtext here. Or if it isn't, that's at least how it plays out in a cultural setting all too often. Go to a place in the country where God and Country are critical points of pride in the populace, and I'll show you an increased likelihood of bigotry toward those of other religions or nationalities.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:33 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

A more cogent question would be why is "In God We Trust" on our money?

The answer being that the Founding Fathers didn't get nearly so worked up about "cramming religion down our throats". stick out tongue

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:35 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Re: God Bless America?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
Why do we sing this song if Thomas Jefferson meant for there to be a separation between church and state?

p.s. I'm all in favor of this song.

big grin

Well, its not the National Anthem. Its a patriotic song that some guy wrote in the 20th century. Also, the version of "God Bless America" that they sing at baseball games isn't the entire song--they only sing one verse. And its really not a religous song, its a patriotic song. Just like "America the Beautiful"; it contains the word "God" but its a patriotic song.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:37 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Omega Vision

The answer being that the Founding Fathers didn't get nearly so worked up about "cramming religion down our throats". stick out tongue

Nope. "In God We Trust" didn't appear on US currency until the 1800s and didn't become the national motto until the 1900s.
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fa...-we-trust.shtml

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:37 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Probably because it was written by Irving Berlin in the early 1900s and has nothing at all to do with Thomas Jefferson or the foundation of the United States.

Granted. But it still appears to me to be an issue that pertains to the premise that God and state should be kept separate.

Again, I fully support the song but I am speaking on behalf of all those who do not wish for this song to a part of America's heritage and legacy.

So, again, why does this song continue to have a place in America? Shouldn't it be banned just like other things of a religious nature in this country?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:40 AM
JesusIsAlive is currently offline Click here to Send JesusIsAlive a Private Message Find more posts by JesusIsAlive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Nope. "In God We Trust" didn't appear on US currency until the 1800s and didn't become the national motto until the 1900s.

Damn. It's been too long since my last US history class. I'm slipping. embarrasment

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:41 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

So, again, why does this song continue to have a place in America? Shouldn't it be banned just like other things of a religious nature in this country?

Banning things of a religious nature is against the First Amendment. That would be un-American.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:45 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: God Bless America?

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Well, its not the National Anthem. Its a patriotic song that some guy wrote in the 20th century. Also, the version of "God Bless America" that they sing at baseball games isn't the entire song--they only sing one verse. And its really not a religous song, its a patriotic song. Just like "America the Beautiful"; it contains the word "God" but its a patriotic song.

I respectfully beg to differ with you. The moment the word "God" is mentioned the song ceases to be strictly patriotic. The song did not need to mention God nor ask Him to bless America. In fact, if the author had not mentioned God then I would agree with you that the song is patriotic.

The author was Jewish by the way.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:47 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Granted. But it still appears to me to be an issue that pertains to the premise that God and state should be kept separate.

No it isn't. The song is not used in any official capacity by the US government.

Again, I fully support the song but I am speaking on behalf of all those who do not wish for this song to a part of America's heritage and legacy.

That can't be changed. Unless you somehow erased the song from history it will always be part of America's heritage and legacy simply because it was written in America.

What religious things have been completely banned in the US?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:54 AM
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
lol at Sym's response. Amen.

Even if one is "for" God, overwrought nationalism can be a scary thing in such a context. "God Bless America, to the exclusion of or at least indifference toward other countries" is the subtext here. Or if it isn't, that's at least how it plays out in a cultural setting all too often. Go to a place in the country where God and Country are critical points of pride in the populace, and I'll show you an increased likelihood of bigotry toward those of other religions or nationalities.

I see nothing wrong with overwrought nationalism especially if a person is an atheist/evolutionist. It is a prerogative. So you believe that God should bless other countries? That is another discussion entirely, not that I disagree. I believe that a person can be both God-fearing and patriotic without being a bigot.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 02:58 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I see nothing wrong with overwrought nationalism especially if a person is an atheist/evolutionist. It is a prerogative.

Dude, you're stealing my bit.

And not doing it well either since overwrought nationalism is rarely connected with atheism.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:00 AM
skekUng

Re: Re: Re: God Bless America?

The author was Jewish by the way.

What if he had been a Muslim?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:01 AM
skekUng is currently offline Click here to Send skekUng a Private Message Find more posts by skekUng Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

No it isn't. The song is not used in any official capacity by the US government.

That can't be changed. Unless you somehow erased the song from history it will always be part of America's heritage and legacy simply because it was written in America.

What religious things have been completely banned in the US?

Whether the song is used in any offficial capacity or not is irrelevant. For instance, there are many people who attend sporting events who do not believe in God. Why should they be subject to standing or listening to a song like this? They paid their money to see a sports event not invoke God--Someone they do not believe in--to do anything for their country.

There are certain places in this country where a person can be punished for speaking the Name of Jesus (God).
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=89096

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:07 AM
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: God Bless America?

Originally posted by skekUng
What if he had been a Muslim?

My point was that he probably was devout to the God of the Jews i.e. the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:09 AM
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: God Bless America?

Originally posted by Quiero Mota

Actually, the song sounds more like a prayer than a song.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:12 AM
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision

Well, I'm just glad they did their part to introduce God into our culture.

big grin

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:14 AM
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

Cool link.

cool

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:14 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Whether the song is used in any offficial capacity or not is irrelevant.

Yes it is. The state is the government. Until the government is doing religious things separation of church and state does not come into play. It does not mean that no one can be religious, and no one argues it does.

For instance, there are many people who attend sporting events who do not believe in God. Why should they be subject to standing or listening to a song like this? They paid their money to see a sports event not invoke God--Someone they do not believe in--to do anything for their country.

They are in a public place going to an event between two private enterprises in a build probably owned by another private group. While an atheist may not like it he has no standing to force everyone else to change what they're doing (unless Objectivists took over when I wasn't looking).

No if he were at a government event and the person running it asked everyone to stand up and sing God Bless America he would have a valid complaint.

There are certain places in this country where a person can be punished for speaking the Name of Jesus (God).http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=89096

He was arrested for breaking an established law that prohibited approaching women trying to enter the clinic. Carrying the sign was irrelevant to his conviction.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2010 03:16 AM