KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Silence

Silence
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Silence

Director-Martin Scorsese

Stars- Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, Liam Neeson, Tadanobu Asano, and Ciarán Hinds.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2016 06:25 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Is this the one that's taken like a decade or something to make? Seems like I saw something about it a month or two ago...

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2016 01:27 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

All i know about it was, A few month's or more back the media (mainly online) thought Liam Neeson was dying of some sort of illness and of course it was for this.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2016 01:34 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

this looks surprisingly good

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 24th, 2016 12:01 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Scorsese never fails.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2016 05:51 AM
Senor Cage is online now! Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Finally got around to watching the trailer for this. Looks interesting. I'm a big fan of Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ, so will certainly be interested to see this.

Man, Andrew Garfield is impressive. He went from Spiderman to working with two of the greatest director's of all time (Mel Gibson and Martin Scorsese).

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 06:11 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Really looking forward to seeing this, despite some poor reviews claiming this film is Scorsese at his worst.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 06:13 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
...despite some poor reviews claiming this film is Scorsese at his worst.

Whut?? Not according to the common consensus on RT.

quote:
"Silence ends Martin Scorsese's decades-long creative quest with a thoughtful, emotionally resonant look at spirituality and human nature that stands among the director's finest works."

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 06:21 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

IIRC, a movie reviewer from the SF chronicle that said this was a failed Scorsese film and then another internet based site.

But as I said, still really looking forward to this.

edit: Found one, was SFgate; not The Chronicle. Not a positive review from this person: http://www.sfgate.com/movies/articl...st-10836003.php

Will likely watch the film this weekend.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 12th, 2017 at 06:44 PM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 06:41 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Wow, yeah. Definitely not complimentary.

I'm not a big Christian sympathizer myself, especially if they're in their country trying to "convert" them or something, but I'll still be interested to see Scorsese's take on the material.

2 hours 40 min does sound like it could be a bit much. It can be hard to maintain interest for that long.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 07:43 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

None of the theaters where I live are carrying this

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Jan 12th, 2017 08:03 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Was lucky enough to catch a cheap showing of this today.

Like many Scorsese movies I've seen it's not necessarily an enjoyable watch, but very thought-provoking. Having had some experience actually going on some medical mission trips with my dad (and not agreeing with "mission" portion of them) I found it a very provocative and insightful film. Who are we to try to plant seeds of another religion in Japan where they live at peace and oneness with nature? I don't think anyone has that right, no matter how fervently you may believe you have "the Truth." Does that justify the means with which the Japanese tried to stamp it out...? not necessarily, but therein lies the conflict. The film also demonstrates the pointlessness of martyrdom. It solves nothing and proves nothing.

Great film. That being said, the film is too long and lacks interest in the beginning needing some editing, but then again I've felt that way about several Scorsese pictures.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Feb 21st, 2017 at 01:55 AM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 01:49 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Pretty interesting watch for those who have seen the film...

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 02:45 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Was lucky enough to catch a cheap showing of this today.

Like many Scorsese movies I've seen it's not necessarily an enjoyable watch, but very thought-provoking. Having had some experience actually going on some medical mission trips with my dad (and not agreeing with "mission" portion of them) I found it a very provocative and insightful film. Who are we to try to plant seeds of another religion in Japan where they live at peace and oneness with nature? I don't think anyone has that right, no matter how fervently you may believe you have "the Truth." Does that justify the means with which the Japanese tried to stamp it out...? not necessarily, but therein lies the conflict. The film also demonstrates the pointlessness of martyrdom. It solves nothing and proves nothing.

Great film. That being said, the film is too long and lacks interest in the beginning needing some editing, but then again I've felt that way about several Scorsese pictures.

I revisited this film and still stand by my initial reaction for the most part. Except this time I watched it with subtitles and enjoyed it much more thoroughly. The length bothered me less with the subtitles since I was able to hang on every word, particularly when heavily-Japanese accented actors were speaking in English.

It's an incredible work. Rare marriage of subject matter and precision of filmmaking. The stubbornness of the Christians clinging to dogmatic beliefs strikes me as the opposite of a virtue and the way the Japanese inquisitors oblige the martyrs to let their suffering mirror their savior's seems obnoxious. But the inquisitors do at least mix it up a bit and torture others to make the priests apostatize.

It's a fascinating film. I watched Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ again and then revisited this after. I'm curious how precise they were able to get with historical accuracy in Silence... Hm..

This is an interesting video essay...

Old Post Jan 17th, 2022 04:16 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Senor Cage
Scorsese never fails.

Hugo disagrees

Old Post Jan 17th, 2022 07:37 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote