KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Luke runs the gauntlet

Luke runs the gauntlet
Started by: Sexyback

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

well, to be honest, Luke could just emerald lightning all of them and move on to the next...no way that ROTS Yoda will compare to LoTF Luke...Vader, please...Jacen i think deserves to be higher on the list, but he could give him trouble, but then could us Kas'im as a cool down match...i dunno, I'd say he makes it to sidious, who should be number 10.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 06:15 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Exhaustion, plus a pierced and burned lung against Lumiya.

Seriously, Luke isn't losing until high numbers if he loses at all.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 06:33 PM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Pierced and burned lung?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 06:46 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Sith'ari
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
well, to be honest, Luke could just emerald lightning all of them and move on to the next...no way that ROTS Yoda will compare to LoTF Luke...Vader, please...Jacen i think deserves to be higher on the list, but he could give him trouble, but then could us Kas'im as a cool down match...i dunno, I'd say he makes it to sidious, who should be number 10.

Emerald Lightning has never been proven to be as great as it's made out to be, as it has never been tested against any powerful force user, and if he really could pwn anyone with it, wouldn't he have used it against lomi Plo, or Lumiya?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 07:11 PM
Click here to Send The Sith'ari a Private Message Find more posts by The Sith'ari Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Luke is not invincible.

He will stop at 5th character after constant battle with already very powerful enemies.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 07:20 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Lumiya's attack did just tat to him, Glentract.

And Legend? Luke is nearly invincible as far as SW is concerned. He makes it to 9 at the very least

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 07:31 PM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Sith'ari
Restricted

Account Restricted

If he's almost invincible, how the hell did Lumiya beat him? She's not very powerful, if he was almost invincible, wouldn't he never lose to her in a million years?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 09:04 PM
Click here to Send The Sith'ari a Private Message Find more posts by The Sith'ari Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt

ok, well Luke beat vader, anakin beat dooku, ob1 beat anakin, vader killed sidious, ob1 beat maul...the best doesn't always win...and luke didn't die so the fact he was beaten while caught off guard, isn't really a valid argument against him being virtually invincible.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 09:14 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Lumiya beat him? Huh, I recall Lumiya lying on the floor, injured at the end...Lumiya got an initial advantage nbecause she destroyed one of his hands and pierced his lung when Luke was distracted by the possible death of his wife.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 09:21 PM
Darth Subjekt

no, i wasn't saying that Luke lost, i was simply pointing out to him that the best doesn't always win, giving reason for the initial wounds inflicted on Luke.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 09:55 PM
The Sith'ari
Restricted

Account Restricted

I heard from Glentract that he lost.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 10:06 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I will agree that Lumiya's advantage was rather understated, though significant. For, earlier in Tempest, a no-name Jedi by the name of Tresina Lobi (no name in comparison to Luke) was able to engage Lumiya and Aleema (a dark Jedi) in combat simultaneously. Lobi more than held her own against these two, and would comfortably beat either of them in a straight up fight (think of Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon).

However, as pointed out, Luke's power varies from author to author. For example, Timothy Zahn was not pleased with how certain characters were becoming like "Supermen", including Luke (though it is ironic... he tries to put a no-name dark Jedi on par with the Emperor), and so for the novel Survivor's Quest (which is several, several years after DE), he arranges a situation that pits Luke and Mara up against a slightly modified droideka (a single one), and they have immense difficulty between the two of them to kill it.

Unless it changes, I consider DN/NJO Luke to be the strongest incarnation of Luke. And, though I think he'd defeat any other SW character in single combat, I think Glentract has a point - he's not skilled enough to breeze through everybody.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by Sexyback
I heard from Glentract that he lost.

No you didn't.

Lumiya's attack did just tat to him, Glentract.

I thought meant that he went into the battle with a pierced and burned lung. This makes more sense.

Oh, and Escape, the fact that Lobi had been a long-term member of the Jedi Council might make you feel better about her lasting against Lumiya and Alema for as long as she did. It made me feel better about it anyway.

Last edited by Darth_Glentract on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 10:37 PM

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Yeah, a bad injury, plus the loss of a hand effected Luke's ability. In most cases, he'd gesture and burst apart Lumiya's life support

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 10:47 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lightsnake
Yeah, a bad injury, plus the loss of a hand effected Luke's ability. In most cases, he'd gesture and burst apart Lumiya's life support

Lightsnake, no offense, but I think if he had that option, he'd have taken it. You can blame it on the author, but Luke was far from all powerful in Tempest. If we go by that incarnation, I think Palpatine'd wipe his ass with him.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

If that were written by another author, that's exactly what would've happened

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 10:53 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lightsnake
If that were written by another author, that's exactly what would've happened

No.

It would have still had to have been a dramatic and powerful fight. On paper? Yeah, Luke should be able to lift a finger and Lumiya would fall over dead. On paper, though, an 900 year old Jedi Grandmaster should be able to wipe his ass with any Dark Lord of the Sith - and yet that's not the case. On paper, the most powerful Sith Lord in history should be able to crush Luke Skywalker in a fight - and yet this is not the case.

My opinion hasn't changed; Luke's probably the most powerful fighter in single combat. But, in my opinion, he's no longer leagues above the likes of Yoda or Sidious or Mace. After reading that damn book, I don't think he'd waste anybody on their level of power. Beat? Probably. But obliterate? No.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 11:00 PM
The Sith'ari
Restricted

Account Restricted

So could the antediluvian's view on him be the right one?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 11:03 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sexyback
So could the antediluvian's view on him be the right one?

Depends.

My opinion stems from the inconsistency with Luke's power. And since it's all equally canon - we just have to accept that there is no logical explanation for the fluctuations in his power other than sheer author inconsistencies. Luke as of the Unifying Force would indeed defeat the likes of Kas'im, Mace, or Bane in a fight. In the zone that he was in? Probably very easily. But LotF Luke? Not so sure.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 11:05 PM
Lightsnake

LOTF Luke would likely still beat anyone he focused on. He might have a time of it, but he'd comfortably win.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 11:26 PM