KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: TV Series » Episode 16: The Hidden Enemy

Episode 16: The Hidden Enemy
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Episode 16: The Hidden Enemy

This is a weird episode... It is doing what I feared so long: interfering with the set realities of SW. So here we have a Clone traitor... how the heck is that possible? A clone desiring freedom...? That so goes against the very concept of these clones. Why would they do something like that?

Also, a very lame bit: how did the Jedi suddenly escape a huge Sep army? As if Ventress would let them go when they're ready to get killed.

A rather entertaining episode, but very conflicting with canon. And again: this series seems to be almost only about Anakin and OB1...

Old Post Feb 24th, 2009 04:06 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hybris
Jedi Panda

Maybe some error in the whole obedience code in his genes? I think the writers just thought it would be a cool plot line, because all the clones look alike and it would be nearly impossible to find out who it was...

The only thing I really found it annoying was that in the entire series you suddenly have an episode that acts like a prequel to the clone wars movie...

As I've said before (I believe), it's lame that Ventress supposedly stands her ground for such a long time against both Skywalker and Kenobi, while it has been shown that Kenobi doesn't even have to fight seriously in order to beat her...

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 05:50 PM
Click here to Send Hybris a Private Message Find more posts by Hybris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The more episodes we get, the screwier SW gets... damn.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 09:45 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I'm pretty sure the entire reason they made this episode was for the 'Oh no, a clone did this, how will we tell which one?!' section. Which was a neat idea and they pulled it off well... but it still makes it seem like it could happen with any clone, which the general idea is that it shouldn't. Ever.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 08:59 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Couldn't, in fact.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 11:04 PM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Always in motion, the SW rules are.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 12:05 AM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Unfortunately.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2009 12:18 PM
Jaeh
Possibly here.

maybe there is just something wrong with the obedience code... maybe its defective...

does this mean too that there might be some clones who spared their jedi gen. in order 66?

i have to watch this. dang.... Clone wars in the philippines is so late... i went out to buy a pirated compilation (he,he,he) and its only up to ep. 15.

dang.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2009 07:43 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

*cough*torrent*cough*

Old Post Mar 21st, 2009 11:09 AM
Jaeh
Possibly here.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
*cough*torrent*cough*

but it'll take up too much of my laptop's memoy - its slow enough as it is...

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2009 03:00 PM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Episode 16: Hidden Enemy
Reaction:Neugative
Season 1 Record: 6-(9)

Summary: You'd think a clone episode would grab me for sure, but this one didn't.

Pros: Clones. Clones clones clones. This is also one of the first episodes where standard infantry troopers kill more droids than droids kill infantry. We still have a long way to go before Filoni realized that one droid does not equal one clone. (This gets to a fundamental flaw in the perspective of the series)

Camp. It was nice to see an active base.

The enemy....It was nice to see that Clones have brains and CAN make decisions against orders and that they have more concerns than "how cna I please the Jedi." The collecting droid fingers is a nice touch too, but its much harder to make a necklace out of them if you have 1,456 kills.

Cinematog. All in all this episode had some nice shots and sequences.

Clonesex. Did anyone else get turned on when Cody and Slick were wrestling?

Cons: A prequel? WTF. Overall the plot was totally irrelevant and didn't take us anywhere, except showing us why the Jedi were so dramatically under-armed in the movie. Still, it was pointless. Even the GENDY series was linear (or in parallel to a linear plotline).

Rationale. Still, the rationale for clones disobeying was weak. Slick almost seemed bitchy. Even weaker? Anakin's defense of the Jedi's treatment of clones (especially because he has shown sympathy about a total of 0 times in this series). This series refuses to admit that Jedi are fallible. If you are going to pretend they aren't, at least back it up.

All in all, the battle with Ventress was weak too. All it made me wonder is why she STILL wasn't on Christophsis in the movie.

Why did it take a Clone Marshall Commander and an Alpha ARC to bring down a squad leader? Clones are made differently ya know.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

A clone going against the Republic is rare but do they really have obediance genes in them? If they do then maybe the seperatists captured him and used surgical droids to remove the genes. Once the genes were removed, the clone wanted to free all his brothers. Makes sense.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2009 03:32 AM
Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

If they don't have 'obedience genes', what purpose do they serve? You might as well recruit regular army, that's cheaper and quicker.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2009 04:06 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Nemesis X
A clone going against the Republic is rare but do they really have obediance genes in them? If they do then maybe the seperatists captured him and used surgical droids to remove the genes. Once the genes were removed, the clone wanted to free all his brothers. Makes sense.

Makes sense only if you don't understand genetics.

Obedience "genes" dont exist. They are modified to be "less independent," this is different from obedient. Clones are conditioned to be loyal, but conditioning can be broken. If they were entirely obedient, they couldn't serve as a command structure. An officer would be no different from infantry in his ability to make decisions and lead.

Slick was a sergeant. He has some officer training, including the ability to make independent decisions. This ability could, as it did in his case, over-ride his conditioning.

If they don't have 'obedience genes', what purpose do they serve? You might as well recruit regular army, that's cheaper and quicker.

They're MORE obedient, conditioned in a way you could not condition beings born free and aware of a wider universe.

And you are correct, hence stormtroopers. But its very hard to keep an army secret for 9 years if you're actively recruiting and training them...

And as we saw...that regular army wasn't as good. Special forces exist for a reason...its not just the number of boots you have on the field. A smaller, quality force can be a great advantage.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Not "more", they follow EVERY command. That's obedient, period.

And it's not so much a secret army. After you've conquered the universe, a regular army will do.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 09:10 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

... hence stormtroopers.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2009 10:43 PM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Not "more", they follow EVERY command. That's obedient, period.

Well, given the series canon (which is what we are discussing) that is not the case.

SW canon also states that clones are "creative." That quality in themselves is innately against the idea of total obedience. Basically this argument is never going to be solved because Lucas never took the time to sit down and think about what he was writing. He probably just viewed it as irrelevant.

And it's not so much a secret army. After you've conquered the universe, a regular army will do.

See above (and my last post)

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 04:01 PM
queeq
Chaos

Creativity can be within limits. If you're to take a city, you go and do everything to TAKE the city. Being creative or if need be you'd die. A clone does not go: oooh, too hard, let's not!!! It kinda goes against the very principle.

And yes, the series does contradict that which I find odd.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 09:26 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Well, each trait has its limits. Laziness or apathy are not really emotions demonstrated. But a qualities like dedication, perserverence, and unending loyalty can be bent to alternate ends, as in the case of Slick.

Basically (as always) Lucas says cr@p and presents a one sentence, poorly written dialogue sound byte. That ideology then fails to capture an issue adequately. We're left holding half an apple and half an orange and trying to fit them together.

Thus, I dont find the series contradicting an issue. It should contradict the films to some degree because it should be better...addressing more. Thats going to require stepping on Lucas' toes a bit. Personally, the series presents a differnt (likely better) image of clones than the films do. Tha trequires some reinterpretation of AOTC.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 04:06 AM
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, maybe.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 05:06 PM