KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Exar Kun's Power

Exar Kun's Power
Started by: Gideon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Exar Kun's Power

In the interest of fairness, here is the beginning paragraph of Exar Kun's entry in the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia:

"Exar Kun Once the most powerful and dangerous of the Dark Lords of the Sith, he was responsible for the deaths of millions four millennia before the Rise of the Empire. Killed by an overwhelming force of Jedi, the dark spirit of Exar Kun survived across the vastness of time to challenge Luke Skywalker and a new group of Jedi trainees."

With one of the new LotF books (Faunus pointed it out) mentioning that Caedus is "the most powerful of the Sith Lords" and now this, Palpatine seems to be having some stiff competition.

Discuss.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 01:22 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I question the validity of such statements, as they seem to be attempts by the writer's poetic license to make the subject seem even more important and influential by adding the "one of the most powerful" idiom.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 01:27 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I question the validity of such statements, as they seem to be attempts by the writer's poetic license to make the subject seem even more important and influential by adding the "one of the most powerful" idiom.

Well, to be fair, Exar Kun was rather impressive. The amulet blasts, his skill with a lightsaber, and the required force to terminate his life (both times).

They're canon statements. I'm not going to subscribe to Illustrious's inane theory of "disregard all of it I don't like" (which is why I made this thread), and with work, I'm sure most if it can fit into a cogent continuity.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 01:30 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Once the most powerful. When Exar was alive, who was his competition? Ulic? Aleema?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 01:30 AM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lightsnake
Once the most powerful. When Exar was alive, who was his competition? Ulic? Aleema?

Interpretation is a factor, but I'll play devil's advocate and point out that the quote can be taken as -- when he was alive -- he was the most powerful of the Dark Lords of the Sith.

There was no other Dark Lord of the Sith at the time, so it could refer to the Sith Lords that preceded Kun or, perhaps, the most powerful of the Sith ever.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 01:32 AM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Exar Kun's Power

Originally posted by Gideon
In the interest of fairness, here is the beginning paragraph of Exar Kun's entry in the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia:

"Exar Kun Once the most powerful and dangerous of the Dark Lords of the Sith, he was responsible for the deaths of millions four millennia before the Rise of the Empire. Killed by an overwhelming force of Jedi, the dark spirit of Exar Kun survived across the vastness of time to challenge Luke Skywalker and a new group of Jedi trainees."

With one of the new LotF books (Faunus pointed it out) mentioning that Caedus is "the most powerful of the Sith Lords" and now this, Palpatine seems to be having some stiff competition.

Discuss.

I would like to call to attention the dodgy choice of words.
quote:
"Exar Kun Once the most powerful and dangerous of the Dark Lords of the Sith
"ONCE the most powerful and dangerous of the dark lords of the sith". ONCE. during his era, i'm pretty sure nobody is willing to argue that he was the most powerful and dangerous. After bigger, better things, like revan, nihilus, bane, and sideous came along, he would have no longer been the most powerful.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 01:56 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Gideon
With one of the new LotF books (Faunus pointed it out) mentioning that Caedus is "the most powerful of the Sith Lords"
You sure that was me?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:08 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by Gideon

Discuss.

eh. his feats contradict the quote if its to be taken as the most powerful including all the eras. he simply has never displayed the skills required to be in even the top 5.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:13 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

You're kidding, right?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:15 AM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i dont go by quotes and hearsay i go by feats and showings and their personalities. so i suppose on kmc and by kmc rules the quote may very well apply and be valid. but otherwise... i dont buy it.

Last edited by AthenasTrgrFngr on Jul 13th, 2009 at 02:22 AM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:17 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gideon that quote about Caedus was downplayed and replaced with "one of the most powerful sith lords of all time". Exar Kun, while impressive, had 6 months to study Sadow's knowledge, and only really Sadow's knowledge. I would venture to say that Nadd had more knowledge than Kun, which included King Adas' holocron, and Nadd's holocron which took Bane 10 years to learn.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:27 AM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Originally posted by WO Polaski
i dont go by quotes and hearsay i go by feats and showings and their personalities. so i suppose on kmc and by kmc rules the quote may very well apply and be valid. but otherwise... i dont buy it.

Yeah, feats and showings; Kun was a bad-ass.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:38 AM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fan Skywalker

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Gideon that quote about Caedus was downplayed and replaced with "one of the most powerful sith lords of all time". Exar Kun, while impressive, had 6 months to study Sadow's knowledge, and only really Sadow's knowledge. I would venture to say that Nadd had more knowledge than Kun, which included King Adas' holocron, and Nadd's holocron which took Bane 10 years to learn.

Not that i don't trust you but can i have a link confirming that Caedus's quote was edited (I assume the quote we are talking about derived from from Star Wars Blood Oath's publisher summary)?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:43 AM
Click here to Send Fan Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Fan Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Yeah, feats and showings; Kun was a bad-ass.

not enough to make him a really threatening top-tier.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:45 AM
Dominis

I can't think of too many sith more powerful.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:53 AM
ares834

not enough to make him a really threatening top-tier.

He froze the entire Senate with a simple spell and pwned Vodo. He also managed to tear Luke's spirit out of his body and create evil "birds" out of the dark side... That is pretty damn powerful.

Last edited by ares834 on Jul 13th, 2009 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:56 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominis

Not to mention his ambulet blasts that can shatter stone.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 02:57 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by ares834
He froze the entire Senate with a simple spell

and how do you know how much prep and or meditation went into that spell? he never used it in combat once. hell he never used it again period.

quote:
pwned Vodo.

the same vodo who never did anything remarkable except for make his stick somewhat lightsaber proof?

quote:
He also managed to tear Luke's spirit out of his body

he didnt do it alone. and ultimately luke defeated with the help of... a baby.

quote:
and create evil "birds" out of the dark side... That is pretty damn powerful.

not really that impressive when you take into consideration the grad daddy powers displayed by other sith and jedi.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 03:14 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Not to mention his ambulet blasts that can shatter stone.

not his own power. thats like saying naga sados badass because he can blow up stars... even though he did it with a ship.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 03:16 AM
ares834

and how do you know how much prep and or meditation went into that spell? he never used it in combat once. hell he never used it again period.

So. Its an impressive display of power regardless if it had prep. Also the fact that they didn't freeze untill he walked in implies that it dosn't require prep unless he can some how hold it in and save it for later.

quote:
he didnt do it alone. and ultimately luke defeated with the help of... a baby.

Luke is the most powerfulk Jedi ever, of course he beat Kun. Regardless he still tore out his spirit which is very impressive even if someone was helping him.

quote:
not really that impressive when you take into consideration the grad daddy powers displayed by other sith and jedi.

The fact that no other force user has ever done something remotely similar is a testiment to its power. And what "grad daddy powers" are you talking about?

Last edited by ares834 on Jul 13th, 2009 at 03:37 AM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 03:24 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote