KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Xwing: Krytos Trap; Question on Inconsistency

Xwing: Krytos Trap; Question on Inconsistency
Started by: SwordOfTheJedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SwordOfTheJedi
Guybrush Threepwood

Smile Xwing: Krytos Trap; Question on Inconsistency

Hello all,

After starting my journey into the EU a long, long time ago smile with the NJO series, and then moving on to Dark Swarm, Legacy, and Fate of the Jedi, I took a break from the future, and jumped back into all the novels that took place right after ROTJ.

So I just finished the third X-Wing book, Krytos Trap, and there is a line that Luke Skywalker has near the very end of the book when he invited Corran Horn to become a Jedi Knight.

"For thirty generations the Jedi Knights safeguarded the galaxy, and the Emperor was only able to succeed in our absence. I am dedicating my life to reestablishng the Jedi Knights."

Thirty generations (900-1000 years give or take)? Can anyone explain why he would say thirty, when Obi-Wan told him 1000 generations in ANH? Now, acknowleding the novel was written in 1996, before the prequels even existed, and there were still very few novels written and little history available, but...

Does anyone know if this was simply a lack of knowledge on Luke's part because Palpatine had destroyed most traces of the Jedi Order? Was it an intentional hint about the Ruusan reformation, Darth Bane, and the "1,000 year Republic" Palpatine quoted in TPM? Or was it simply an author's mistake? Does anyone know if Luke's quote has been retconned?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2011 06:01 AM
Click here to Send SwordOfTheJedi a Private Message Find more posts by SwordOfTheJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

30 generations before was the end of the New Sith War.

During that the jedi had retreated to the glactic Core more or less therefore not defnding the galaxy.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2011 06:30 AM
Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It will have been a reference to the Ruusan Reformation.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2011 09:14 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Urge to uncharitable needling aside, I'm going with Lucien on this one. He's pretty smart.

The other defense would be that he didn't specify human generations. Thus, "30 generations" can be any length of time, if the universe needs to be kept consistent.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2011 01:12 AM
Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zampanó
Urge to uncharitable needling aside, I'm going with Lucien on this one. He's pretty smart.
Smart money's always angled in this direction.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2011 04:41 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote