KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » The Cast Thread of EP VII

The Cast Thread of EP VII
Started by: Slowpoke

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Slowpoke
You compare God Father with Trainspotting?

you just said that one hit movie does not make a star well known.

maybe you have a bias for italians?

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 04:46 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowpoke

Originally posted by focus4chumps
you just said that one hit movie does not make a star well known.

maybe you have a bias for italians?

Godfather is not just "good" it's epic. It's also one Oscar winning movie, Al Pacino also was nominated for best supporting actor. Did Ewan get nominated for such big award?

Many criticism on the prequel made little sense, but I've yet to seen someone say Ewan was a reason because people already know him in Trainspotting.

Last edited by Slowpoke on Nov 6th, 2012 at 04:54 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 04:48 AM
Click here to Send Slowpoke a Private Message Find more posts by Slowpoke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Godfather is not just "good" it's epic. It's also one Oscar winning movie, Al Pacino also was nominated for best supporting actor. Did Ewan get nominated for such big award?

so the academy is the yardstick for what is successful? did you know that martin scorcese did not win his first oscar until 2007?

anyway the trainspotting screenplay was nominated for an oscar.

from wiki:

quote:
Trainspotting was nominated for three British Academy Film Awards in 1995, including John Hodge for Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film and Best British Film. Hodge won in his category.[32] Hodge also won Best Screenplay from the Evening Standard British Film Awards. The film won the Golden Space Needle (the award for Best Film) at the 1996 Seattle International Film Festival. Ewan McGregor was named Best Actor from the London Film Critics Circle, BAFTA Scotland Awards, and Empire magazine.[32] Hodge was also nominated for an Academy Award for Writing Adapted Screenplay but failed to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_(film)#Awards

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 04:55 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowpoke

so the academy is the yardstick for what is successful? did you know that martin scorcese did not win his first oscar until 2007?

anyway the trainspotting screenplay was nominated for an oscar.

I'm just saying Trainspotting is not enough to make him a big star that's all. Most of Ewan's famous works came after TPM, and his role in Trainspotting was totally different than TPM's Obi Wan.

Most importantly, did Ewan's role in Trainspotting make his Obi Wan or the Prequel bad because some viewers already know him? If not, I don't think it's necessary to continue this because it's not really related to the topic.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:01 AM
Click here to Send Slowpoke a Private Message Find more posts by Slowpoke Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I don't get it, a fantasy epic is fine with stars but SW must use new faces?

Mark, Carrie and Harrison succeeded not because they were new, but the movie was well done and the role fit them well.
It would be better if Star Wars used new faces, is what I'm saying. At least as the leads. The only lead character in LotR that was a big ass name at the time was Ian McKellan. And with an ensemble cast, attention was split between many characters. All the leads in the OT were unknowns at the time.

The only unknown leads in the PT were the Anakin actors. Neeson, McGregor, and Portman were recognized. It's much easier to become lost in the world and story when you're not constantly aware of the fact that Oscar Schindler is sucking balls, or the little girl from Leon is trying to convince me she's a decent actor post-puberty. LotR had the advantage of being an epic--a very large, sweeping story across a giant land with huge sets and thousands of people on screen at once. Star Wars never was (even if the PT may have tried to be).

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:02 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

ok, but again he was an instant star. shifting the goal post and saying he wasnt he BIGGEST. STAR. EVAAAAAARRR!!! does not alter the fact that he was an instant celebrity.

it was a hip film for the time, everyone thought he was a terrific actor and the chicks went ga-ga over him.

i posted all these awards he was nominated for, showed you that it earned mention at even the snooty oscars, and still you combat me on this simple point which has been squashed. he was famous right out of the gate.

Last edited by focus4chumps on Nov 6th, 2012 at 05:07 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:05 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

ok, but again he was an instant star. shifting the goal post and saying he wasnt he BIGGEST. STAR. EVAAAAAARRR!!! does not alter the fact that he was an instant celebrity.

it was a hip film for the time, everyone thought he was a terrific actor and the chicks went ga-ga over him.
You should probably quote who you're talking to.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:07 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most importantly, did Ewan's role in Trainspotting make his Obi Wan or the Prequel bad because some viewers already know him? If not, I don't think it's necessary to continue this because it's not really related to the topic.

not at all. i found him to be, at some points, one of the only redeeming elements of the PT. however your point that he wasnt famous before SW is false.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You should probably quote who you're talking to.

you got mad, didnt you? and then you were like "...oh"

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:08 AM
Slowpoke

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
It would be better if Star Wars used new faces, is what I'm saying. At least as the leads. The only lead character in LotR that was a big ass name at the time was Ian McKellan. And with an ensemble cast, attention was split between many characters. All the leads in the OT were unknowns at the time. The only unknown leads in the PT were the Anakin actors. Neeson, McGregor, and Portman were recognized. It's much easier to become lost in the world and story when you're not constantly aware of the fact that Oscar Schindler is sucking balls, or the little girl from Leon is trying to convince me she's a decent actor post-puberty. LotR had the advantage of being an epic--a very large, sweeping story across a giant land with huge sets and thousands of people on screen at once. Star Wars never was (even if the PT may have tried to be).

Elijah Wood, as the most important character of LotR played a few well known movies since his childhood, I didn't think about Huck Finn or Leo Biederman when I watched LotR. Sean Bean also played quite a few roles before this. Not to say the supporting roles like Hugo, Liv, Cate and Lee.

Well I didn't have because the makeup and clothes of Qui Gon is totally different than Schindler and surely not his Dark Man. Also GL said Liam is like Alec in the OT, did you think the old Obi Wan was Nicholson or Tarkin is Van Helsing?

And movie with stars as lead could success like TDK, because the roles fit them well.

The Great Sith War is very epic, a lot of battles throughout the story. I also left Ulic, the leading role there.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:13 AM
Slowpoke

Actually TPM had a few stars but it also got quite a few unknown faces like Jake Lloyd, Ray Park, Ian was mostly a stage actor and he wore heavy makeup in OT. Not sure about Pernilla August.

I think Ralph Fiennes would fit Exar Kun perfectly if he was 20 years younger like when he was playing Goeth in Schindler's list, but he's too old now so I guess Nadd would fit him.

Last edited by Slowpoke on Nov 6th, 2012 at 05:23 AM

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:19 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I don't want to see the face of Lord Voldemort become the face of another evil Dark Lord. I don't want to see the face of Gandalf become the face of another wise old magic man. I don't want to see the face of Galadriel playing another wise, mysterious magic woman. I don't want to see the face of Captain America playing another daring hero setting out to do justice and the right thing. And I certainly don't want to see Tom F*cking Hanks playing a Scottish undead Sith Corpse. If these actors have to be in these films, I want them doing roles that they haven't already done, something we wouldn't expect from them (as an aside, Tom Hanks does not belong in Star Wars ever). I want to see something similar to Ulrich von Lichtenstein becoming the Joker. Just because an actor has pulled off one kind of roll, doesn't mean they should be re-cast in that mold every time it pops up. That would be repetitive.

I also don't want my immersion in to a brand new alien universe to be interrupted with the faces of Hollywood's most popular elite. Peter Cushing had one secondary role, in one movie, then he was gone. Alec Guinness had one secondary role that diminished with every movie. Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman were in my face forever. Samuel "Bad Motherf*cker" Jackson played a secondary role that only increased in screen time as the series progressed. But Christopher Lee? Saruman? His was perfect. Secondary villain who shows up for like 45 minutes, total. Granted his character sucked, but Scaramanga's face wasn't interrupting a galaxy far far away every other scene. Oscar Schindler was.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 08:01 AM
Slowpoke

Voldemort was hardly recognizable as Ralph because he is noseless, and Ralph already played several famous villains before HP. Also, Darth Traya is totally different than Galadriel. Cay is just a secondary role and not a big hero like CA. Master Arca also died pretty early. Supporting roles like Master Arca and Traya is good to be played by experienced actors.

Well Tom Hanks didn't play zombie like villain before so I want to see him try one.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 04:20 PM
axel_jovan
Looking around.

Re: The Cast Thread of EP VII

Here's my take, no surprise here:

Great Sith War:

Ulic Qel-Droma: Ben Affleck

Cay Qel-Droma: Matt Damon

Exar Kun: Lorenzo Lamas

Nomi Sunstrider: Eva Green

Aleema Keto: Charlize Theron

Satal Keto: Jeremy Irons

Master Arca: Bruce Willis

Freedon Nadd: Alan Rickman

Queen Amanoa: Robin Williams

King Ommin: Al Pacino

KOTOR 2:

The Exile: Mila Kunis

Atris: Uma Thurman

Darth Sion: Vin Diesel

Darth Nihilus: The Rock

Darth Traya: Penelope Cruz

Bonus:
Darth Revan: Justin Timberlake

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 05:38 PM
Click here to Send axel_jovan a Private Message Find more posts by axel_jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: The Cast Thread of EP VII

Originally posted by axel_jovan

Great Sith War:

KOTOR 2:

Bonus:

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 06:28 PM
axel_jovan
Looking around.

Re: Re: Re: The Cast Thread of EP VII

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 6th, 2012 06:45 PM
Click here to Send axel_jovan a Private Message Find more posts by axel_jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

robert pattinson expressed interest. but don't pick him, disney. ok?

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 12:36 AM
Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

What's wrong with Robert Pattinson? He'd be a great choice for the new trilogy's main character. I can see him already taking on the role of Luke Skywalker's promising yet troubled Jedi son, Austen Skywalker, conflicted over his strange feelings for his sexy Dark Jedi cousin, Miley Solo.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 12:48 AM
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

Re: Re: The Cast Thread of EP VII

Originally posted by axel_jovan

Great Sith War:

KOTOR 2:

Bonus:

Are you joking? Or did you think this would be a thread about who should deffo not be in it? The Rock? Vin Diesel? Not that I hate these guys but they don't belong in SW. Why the massive lists of mega famous faces? I don't think that would work, you might as well say Mel Gibson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Michael Fassbender, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Gillian Anderson and One Direction!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 12:16 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

Oh wait, I just saw Timberlake on that post. It was a joke.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 12:17 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

not at all. i found him to be, at some points, one of the only redeeming elements of the PT. however your point that he wasnt famous before SW is false.

He was hardly Semi-Famous. I'm British and I only knew him as "the guy from trainspotting.." thinking that's an odd choice for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

He was definitely more famous in the UK than around the world though.

Same with Natalie Portman. She was hardly semi-famous. It's not like she was some famous kid-actress because of Leon or well known from Mars Attacks.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 06:19 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote