KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Fix the Mustafar Lightsaber Duel!

Did you like how the Mustafar duel was done?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
The Mustafar Duel was awesome 7 53.85%
The Mustafar duel sucked 1 7.69%
It was very mediocore 1 7.69%
It was pretty good, but it could have been done better 2 15.38%
It was ok/decent, and it could have been done better 2 15.38%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fix the Mustafar Lightsaber Duel!
Started by: PhoenixSam5

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PhoenixSam5

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes it does. Any EU continuity is to be ignored here. The Rule of Two was not broken.

OK, I'll respect your wishes. I won't discuss the EU here.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 09:10 PM
Click here to Send PhoenixSam5 a Private Message Find more posts by PhoenixSam5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

no more fixing please. accept or reject that which is broken and move forward.

i think most people here would at least agree with that.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Last edited by focus4chumps on Mar 2nd, 2013 at 02:19 AM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2013 02:16 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PhoenixSam5

Originally posted by focus4chumps
no more fixing please. accept or reject that which is broken and move forward.

i think most people here would at least agree with that.

In the ROTS alternate ending video game scene, Obi wan actually talked to Anakin and they had meaningufl and emotional scenes dialogue during there duel, just like in the OT films, how the Luke Vs. Vader in the OT, in TESB and ROTJ. The dialogue creates a lot of depth and it affects the duels to a great extent, other than just mindless action special effects. The OT duels were a perfect example of that.

Obi wan actually tried to redeem anakin in the video game mustafar duel, and anakin rejected him sharply.

"anakin, face up to what you've done. Come back to the light side".

Anakin rejected him and said, "my old friend".

In the actual episode 3 movie the only dialogue they had during their action highly choreographed dance scene was that awkward "i failed you anakin, palpatine is evil, no, from my POV the jedi are evil".

I actually liked the "this is the end for you my master", line, but other than that, the whole duel lacked what made the ROTJ and TESB lightsaber duels magical-the awesome and deep and not wooden dialogue scenes.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2013 05:05 AM
Click here to Send PhoenixSam5 a Private Message Find more posts by PhoenixSam5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Fight was bad.

Palpatine v Windu and Friends was bad.

Palpatine v Yoda was decent.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2013 07:30 AM
Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The actual Palps vs Mace when it was just the two of them was okay, I thought. I still haven't seen an adaptation that told that fight well, either. Even the ROTS novel is incredibly vague about what happened to Tiin, Kolar and Fisto during the fight.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2013 03:03 PM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Question about the fight between Anakin VS Obi-wan .. Obi-Wan supposedly had the advantage over Anakin and was able to defeat him with the strike that made him a gimp because he had the higher ground..
But padawan Obi wan was able to kill a sith apprentice Darth maul by jumping clean over Mauls head from down a shaft while he was looking at him, force snatching a light saber in the process then slicing him in two..

Am I wrong in thinking this doesn't add up?

GAMMA GIDEON

Respect: -Dynamo 5 -Greed -Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 05:48 AM
Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

kenobi probably taught him that move in the first place, and knew he would try that and was ready for it. maul however did not see it coming. i think the real question is "would anakin have been able to strike down maul the same way." imho yes.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 07:42 AM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

edit: wrong forum section!

Last edited by Placidity on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 08:56 AM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 08:44 AM
Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

Originally posted by focus4chumps
kenobi probably taught him that move in the first place, and knew he would try that and was ready for it. maul however did not see it coming. i think the real question is "would anakin have been able to strike down maul the same way." imho yes.

That makes sense. But as I remember it (and mind you I haven't seen the movies in some time) Obi-wan stated 'higher ground' as being an advantage as if it was light saber battle 101. Not a declaration or insight to an advantage he gained threw knowledge of Anakins style/ability. But I could be wrong or it could be a blend of both 'I know how you'll attack since I taught you' and 'higher ground grants me advantage'

GAMMA GIDEON

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 08:48 AM
Click here to Send SevenShackles a Private Message Find more posts by SevenShackles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by SevenShackles
That makes sense. But as I remember it (and mind you I haven't seen the movies in some time) Obi-wan stated 'higher ground' as being an advantage as if it was light saber battle 101. Not a declaration or insight to an advantage he gained threw knowledge of Anakins style/ability. But I could be wrong or it could be a blend of both 'I know how you'll attack since I taught you' and 'higher ground grants me advantage'

It was because he knew Darth Vader (that was his name at the time) could not "force jump" high enough to avoid Obi Wan's saber.

Darth Vader was over confident and thought he had become more powerful in the dark side...hence his words about becoming more powerful.

Had Darth Vader actually become more powerful than his recently deceased Anakin self (Obi Wan was intimately familiar with Anakin's abilities in the force), then Obi Wan would not have known that Anakin could jump clear of Obi Wan's lightsaber.

The Episode III video game shows the alternative outcome to their exchange. Darth Vader really does have the ups to clear Obi Wan's defense and he cuts Obi Wan in half.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 10:54 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SevenShackles
Missa pro defunctis

^ah thank you both for helping me with this question. I appreciate it.

GAMMA GIDEON

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2013 07:17 PM
Kickballjedi

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Nonetheless, Maul was horribly underused and it would have been better if Maul had actually DONE something in the film beforehand that would have made the stakes seem higher. It was actually a faintly irrelevant fight in the grand scheme of things.

After watching the duel several times and reading the novel, I believe the fight was designed specifically to kill QGJ. As I've noted on previous threads, watch the battle closely and you will see Maul dismisses OB1 over and over, then pushes him off the walkway and out of the fight. Even after QGJ is killed, Maul doesn't seem to aggressively go after the killing blow when he probably could have. After accomplishing his mission, he was sacrificed so OB1 would become Anakin's master. OB1 was not as focused on the "living force" per QGJ and would not train Anakin as well, leaving him open to Sidius' influence. So the fight was relevant for that goal.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2013 06:59 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ROTJ Vader
Restricted

Account Restricted

Amazing and awesome. Anakin with a red saber would have been cooler, though.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2013 12:31 PM
Click here to Send ROTJ Vader a Private Message Find more posts by ROTJ Vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote