KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » New Movie- Old ideas

New Movie- Old ideas
Started by: Kickballjedi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kickballjedi

New Movie- Old ideas

I have noticed when a director is brought in to reboot a franchise, they have tended recently to use rehashed concepts from the original movies. 2 examples are:

1. Superman Returns- in Superman Returns Bryan Singer does a good job sticking with the feel of Supes 1 and 2. But the basic plot of Luthor stealing the green crystal and using it to produce more land on Earth was very silly. He took an element from the first 2 movies and expounded upon it for continuity.

2. Star Trek- JJ Abrams takes a few elements from Star Trek lore, time travel (used in many episodes as a plot device) and a foe more powerful than the Starfleet (aka the Borg). He uses these devices to create his new story/timeline, thereby removing his need for any continuity or advancing the existing storyline.

This type of story writing worries me. To relate this to Star Wars, the story might include a clone of the Emperor (since clones were used in Episode 2) or creating a new Sith Lord to appear and become a new enemy for Luke Skywalker and his new Jedi Order. Or maybe they decide to make the new enemy an army of droids, just like the ones that served the Trade Federation...

These ideas sound so lame to me, but that is the pattern I've seen these reboots/sequels take recently and it makes me very nervous. The writers want to relate to original fans, but they also want to pull in additional viewers who might want to only see a Star Wars movie if it has Boba Fett or Darth Vader in it. You could even make the point that GL did this himself for the PT- include Jabba, Boba Fett and Chewbacca just to pull in viewers who want to see familiar characters.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2013 08:58 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctorwho?
The Doctor

The borg wasn't in JJ's star trek. Also the point about a sith lord for luke/new jedi order to fight being lame....dude sith have been in every star wars film...There the opposite of jedi, what are you gonna have the jedi do? help cats out of trees?

Old Post Aug 29th, 2013 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Doctorwho? a Private Message Find more posts by Doctorwho? Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Doctorwho?
The borg wasn't in JJ's star trek.

You missed his point, entirely. No worries, I am not going to be like others by belittling you or calling you names. Instead, I'll tell you what point of his you missed:

He was making a parallel between the Borg and Nero (and his ship, the Narada). He wasn't saying that the Borg were used as a plot device in the Star Trek reboots.

Also the point about a sith lord for luke/new jedi order to fight being lame....dude sith have been in every star wars film...There the opposite of jedi, what are you gonna have the jedi do? help cats out of trees?

Well, the Jedi do not necessarily have to be in a story that involve the Sith. We have seen that. Also, it seems like the Jedi survived for years without direct Sith involvement (possibly millenia)? So a story can be told. It would require just a little bit of creativity and not even necessarily originality.

I noticed you are new. Welcome to the boards, dude. I look forward to more Star Wars conversations. thumb up

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 12:53 AM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by dadudemon
You missed his point, entirely. No worries, I am not going to be like others by belittling you or calling you names.
Shut up f*g, you're just trying to sound cool. B*tch.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 03:24 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Shut up f*g, you're just trying to sound cool. B*tch.

I am none of those! mad

Except the last one! mad

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 09:00 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

You missed his point, entirely. No worries, I am not going to be like others by belittling you or calling you names. Instead, I'll tell you what point of his you missed:

i applaud you for not siezing this opporunity to highlight someone's error while belittling them, and for politely assuring them that you are not a member of an apparent gang of name-callers which infests the SW PT/ST forum unbeknownst to everyone but you.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Aug 30th, 2013 11:37 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I don't whether to feel happy that manners are a thing now, or if I should just pop from the irony.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 05:03 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctorwho?
The Doctor

Sorry if I sounded rude, just wanted to correct an error. And I do wanna see more sith in episode VII personally. Thanks for not being rude to me smile

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 04:57 PM
Click here to Send Doctorwho? a Private Message Find more posts by Doctorwho? Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by focus4chumps
I applaud you for not belittling someone while pointing out an error, and for politely assuring them that you are not a member of a massive gang of name-callers which infests the internet, unbeknownst only to myself.

I corrected your post for you.

Now it is slightly easier to read and with fewer mistakes.

Sorry if I sounded rude, just wanted to correct an error. And I do wanna see more sith in episode VII personally. Thanks for not being rude to me smile

You did not come off as rude. It's all good. thumb up

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 06:38 PM
Doctorwho?
The Doctor

smile

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 06:46 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

I corrected your post for you.

cool is that actually allowed here?

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 08:51 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctorwho?
The Doctor

You'll have to ask the mods on that. I got no clue sorry.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 09:05 PM
Doctorwho?
The Doctor

On an unrelated note, your avatar looks really cool, what is it?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 09:06 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

its a tardigrade

Old Post Aug 31st, 2013 09:20 PM