KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Anakin Skywalker is an unintentionally unlikable protagonist?

Anakin Skywalker is an unintentionally unlikable protagonist?
Started by: Lawrence375

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lawrence375

Anakin Skywalker is an unintentionally unlikable protagonist?

Is it just me or do you people noticed what the fans have said about Anakin Skywalker? I think Anakin is meant to be a protagonist whom you can root for, but unfortunately, it didn't work out since he's disliked by the fandom.

What do you think, people? Have your say on how do you find Anakin an unlikable character, why and what you dislike about him.

Last edited by Lawrence375 on Dec 30th, 2013 at 06:42 AM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2013 06:36 AM
Click here to Send Lawrence375 a Private Message Find more posts by Lawrence375 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I heard lots of people liked him. Personally, I don't know why. There's not so much to like: a self-centered, grumpy, arrogant, whiny kid who thinks the world of himself… plus no character development. Not much of a surprise he turns into the Hitler of the SW universe.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2013 11:08 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lawrence375

Well, I do hear a lot more about people hating on Anakin more than liking him, since the prequels aren't exactly how they hoped it was.

And I do agree with what you said about Anakin. Considering his characterization, it's a wonder why it's hard to root for him.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2013 12:28 PM
Click here to Send Lawrence375 a Private Message Find more posts by Lawrence375 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

A wonder or no wonder?

Yes, It's kinda weird Lucas couldn't come up with a more interesting characterization for Anakin. You'd say that would be the MAIN consideration in making these prequels.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2013 02:24 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lawrence375

Sorry if we are going off topic here. I'm just a little confused between "wonder or no wonder". I'm actually not surprised about why people would hate Anakin.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2013 02:49 PM
queeq
Chaos

Me neither.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2014 10:14 AM
steverules_2

steverules_2 is online now!

Think the clone troopers shoulda killed the room full of younglings, as we all know right at the of ROTJ he's a jedi spirit and all is forgiven...the guy killed kids for f*cks sake!

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 1st, 2014 12:43 PM
Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup… but then again, redemption was the point of that scene.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2014 09:17 AM
KyleAP

I didn't like anakin because he was a dick.
We were suppose to care about this guy, or at least relate to him, before he tragically got seduced by the dark side of the force.
Instead he just came across as a selfish Whiney piss-weesel from the start.
In phantom menace he came across as an annoying wee kid who was just there to appeal to kiddy fans.
In attack of the clones it was clear George was trying to throw alot of things into his character but didn't know how to write him in a way that made him seem like a good guy. Instead he was just a massive Whiney dick. And his friendship with obi-won n love for padme was just so badly written and had us scratching our heads in disbelief. We were just told we should believe that obi and anakin were friends without it projecting on screen and that he and padme were in love even with the corny, vomit-inducing dialogue and the fact that it hasn't been written or acted in a believeable fashion.
In revenge of the sith his turn to the dark side was all too willing and not plausibly written or acted. And by the end of the film we don't get a tragic character who's gone through a real tough time and resulted by believing in the power of the dark side, but someone who proved that all along (based on what we've seen in episodes 2 and 3) that he was really just a dumb murderous physcopath who never really cared about anyone but himself and ought locked up. He even tried to kill the woman who was his whole motivation for turning in the first place.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2014 02:14 PM
Click here to Send KyleAP a Private Message Find more posts by KyleAP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yes, great hero, eh? hehehe

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2014 09:33 AM
KyleAP

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Yes, great hero, eh? hehehe

Yep haha
The only really kinda heroic thing he did in the prequels was accidentally blow up the droid control ship at the end of phantom menace that helped shut down the droid army n save the naboo.

Other good things he did? Umm ummm
tried to rescue his mother, (which of course he then blew out the window in the fashion he killed all the sand people and then went on a physcotic rant about it)
And I suppose helping up unconcious obi-won when palpatine told him to leave him to die kinda...(even though any coherent person would think suspiciously of palpatine's behaviour in that situation)
Apart from that... ummm ummm....

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2014 11:26 AM
Click here to Send KyleAP a Private Message Find more posts by KyleAP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by KyleAP
Yep haha
The only really kinda heroic thing he did in the prequels was accidentally blow up the droid control ship at the end of phantom menace that helped shut down the droid army n save the naboo.

And add some extra stress on the word "ACCIDENTALLY"… hahaha.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2014 12:13 PM
Lawrence375

Hmm... I do hear a lot of words expressed by people who dislike Anakin: Whiny, jerk, spoiled brat, childish and all of that.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2014 03:40 AM
queeq
Chaos

Yes? And? You agree?

Old Post Jan 11th, 2014 03:14 PM
Lawrence375

Yes, again, I do agree with you. If only there is some proper characterization and plots in the prequels, then all the dislike could have been avoided.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2014 01:50 PM
GenomeFrozener
The Last Boss

I actually like Anakin because of his arrogance.

Oh yeah! SUCK MY...duck?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2014 04:52 PM
Click here to Send GenomeFrozener a Private Message Find more posts by GenomeFrozener Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Lawrence375
Yes, again, I do agree with you. If only there is some proper characterization and plots in the prequels, then all the dislike could have been avoided.

I think this is what most of the dislikes are about… hehehe.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2014 08:28 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by steverules_2
Think the clone troopers shoulda killed the room full of younglings, as we all know right at the of ROTJ he's a jedi spirit and all is forgiven...the guy killed kids for f*cks sake!

Yea people love him for all he has done.

Old Post May 5th, 2014 02:15 AM
Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It's almost like the prequels are stupid or something.

Old Post May 5th, 2014 02:44 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I don't blame Anakin. If you were written and acted so badly, wouldn't that make you whinny?

Old Post May 5th, 2014 05:26 PM
Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote