KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » How do you view: Force Wounds?

How do you view: Force Wounds?
Started by: Fated Xtasy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fated Xtasy
Kami

How do you view: Force Wounds?

So, with the wide variety of views here on KMC, I'm curious as to what you all make of Force Wounds; not necessarily whether they suck, are cool or overrated. But how you think a Force wound works. With the topic being so open to speculation and having some very vague details. I'd like to hear what you all think. Enjoy and discuss.
(I'll post my thoughts when I get on a PC.)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 08:48 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

One of the stupidest concepts in SW. And that's saying something.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:04 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Retarded, just like 90% of the EU and everything that's come out of the Old Republic/NJO eras.

Force wounds don't have a rational explanation for how they work. It's just plot armor lazily turned into an in-universe concept by shitty writers.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Jan 25th, 2015 at 09:13 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:11 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Re: How do you view: Force Wounds?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
not necessarily whether they suck, are cool or overrated.

Originally posted by ares834
One of the stupidest concepts in SW. And that's saying something.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Retarded, just like 90% of the EU and everything that's come out of the Old Republic/NJO eras.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:12 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Force wounds don't have a rational explanation for how they work. It's just plot armor lazily turned into an in-universe concept by shitty writers.
gg

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:30 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Re: How do you view: Force Wounds?

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:40 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

engaging as always, fellas.

Anyway. the way i see it, it's a pretty interesting concept, but i'm left with a lot more questions than answers when the explanation comes around. I'll elaborate.

Several times in the Knights of The Old Republic series it's stated that Wounds feed and are empowered by death, with each person that falls to them, they become more and more powerful. But, how does this come into play in combat? what increases? their force potential? raw power? how does this even remotely touch combative skill? more specifically, lightsaber combat.

In all of the quotes that are given to us, Kreia never really elaborates—as per uje— on how the wounds are affected by their feeding of life and death. I myself doubt it's combative prowess. all that we get is "more powerful" "strong" etcetera.

I view wounds as a force enhancing drugs, they grant you a single, deadly and destructive power(i.e Force Drain) but it comes at a risk of losing yourself to that power(Like Nihilus) I don't think being a wound and the benefit of becoming stronger with each kill is actually enough to be taken into consideration in a debate, simply because we don't know if it affects combative skill.

A great example of this is Anakin and his rival, Ferus Olin. We all know that Anakin's potential and power were great even as of AOTC and Pre-AOTC. The council and Obi-Wan during The Jedi Quest novel state this, yet Ferus, a Jedi who was stated to have an inferior connection to the force compared to Anakin, was considered to be the more skilled and talented of the two, despite Anakin's own strength and obvious power.

Anyway, those are just my two cents.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 10:09 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Well Nihilus killed a **** ton of people and his power was so great that he could do god like stuff so obviously it does increase their power, however, its not like Nihilus kills one person and suddenly is one level, it takes lots and lots and lots of death to see a significant increase

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 10:19 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Let's just say there's a reason they weren't mentioned in Revan or SWTOR.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 10:23 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Here's how they work: they don't. That's why they've never been used again.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 11:37 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Here's how they work: they don't. That's why they've never been used again.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 11:54 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

I just see them as really potent Dark-side nexus's that do war more ill to the natural Force then what normal Dark-siders dish out.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 12:03 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Yeah, but the Exile isn't a Dark Side Nexus. They're treated like some blackhole in the Force that nothing escapes from.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 12:11 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Yep, they do what the plot requires while allowing for some very shallow meta commentary.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 12:13 AM
The Merchant

Welp, there goes my interpretation.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 12:26 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Yeah, but the Exile isn't a Dark Side Nexus. They're treated like some blackhole in the Force that nothing escapes from.

Well, actually, it's kinda-sorta-ish consistent with that idea. If I had to choose, that would be my way of describing it, anyway.

Dark Side Nexuses have been depicted in many different ways, but in some cases they've been consistent with the Exile's traits; Byss and Malachor drained life forces of it's inhabitants. Dagobah's nexus made Yoda's force presence undetectable.

As for the whole Force-bonding thing, supposedly that was something Meetra was dealing with before she became a wound, so...? It kinda makes sense.

But it's a load of BS anyway, for a Jedi to become a fvcking dark side nexus. Especially considering it's miraculously gone and unspoken of in Revan.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 01:05 AM
Zenwolf

Tbh I never saw any real difference between Surik having the Wound and not having it. The only things I ever got from it was, she was immune to Force Drain....and she could form bonds easily with others.

...That's really all I ever took from it and it's really nothing special.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 01:24 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Tbh I never saw any real difference between Surik having the Wound and not having it. The only things I ever got from it was, she was immune to Force Drain....and she could form bonds easily with others.

In Meetra's case, that is kind of enough imo. After all, she was more of a hole than a wound unlike Nihilus. In his case, the whole wound thing found another meaning entirely.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 01:31 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Zenwolf

And she was draining the energy from those she bonded with as well as those she slaughtered or fought, which enabled her to become immensely powerful. Far greater than she had been before Malachor. She was also able to learn techniques in mere moments, most probably by siphoning knowledge through these bonds. Her bonding also allowed her to influence the minds of others and shape their personalities as well as partially compel them to follow her.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 01:42 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Nephthys
And she was draining the energy from those she bonded with as well as those she slaughtered or fought, which enabled her to become immensely powerful. Far greater than she had been before Malachor. She was also able to learn techniques in mere moments, most probably by siphoning knowledge through these bonds. Her bonding also allowed her to influence the minds of others and shape their personalities as well as partially compel them to follow her.

How is that any different then studying or having a vast power potential? Luke was also able to learn things at instantaneous rates too without a Force bond.

Couldn't you also influence others, by just speaking to them and sharing your own views and having them follow you?...

I mean I don't get why Surik needed this Force Wound thing, when she could have just had it as just part of her character to begin with...was writing that too difficult so they made something up, when other things could have just achieved the same results?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2015 01:48 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote