KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » blaster as speed of light?

blaster as speed of light?
Started by: WildBantha88

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WildBantha88

blaster as speed of light?

i believe I heard this stated before but Idk where. Does anyone know where this was stated and if you do can you provide me with the quote?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 01:03 AM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

Not blasters, only things like lasers and turbolasers on ships are Lightspeed. Blasters speeds are inconsistent, you can get Hypersonic Bolts from Return of the Jedi's Biker chase though. You can even get Blaster bolts that move at FTL speeds lel.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 01:37 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Lasers and Turbolasers are.

Blaster bolts from personal weaponry are hypersonic, if going by Slugthrowers spitting out hypersonic slugs. Although this, I would just take that rifles are, pistols however I don't think so. You could probably say they are though, but I'm none too sure on it really as far as blaster pistols go.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 01:55 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Never seen any for blasters

Granted, much like how our tech regarding guns doesn't exactly differ much in speed when you ramp up the scale (tank/plane rounds really aren't that much faster than some of our most powerful hand held guns and all IIRC), I'm kind of doubtful ship bolts are much, if at all, faster than actual human scale blasters

Clone Wars seems to corroborate that season 6 where you can clearly compare blaster bolts to ships speeding outside in the vacuum of space (same show has had ships accelerate to quad digits mach nigh instantly in densely packed debris fields [episode 2, season 1 to be specific] and even hit FTL if you take that episode where they travel through a ****ing nebula seriously [please don't] :lmao)

https://youtu.be/lej93EXOlHQ?t=19s (blasters compared to ships)
http://i.imgur.com/mLXPccj.png
http://i.imgur.com/odsNsth.png (showing of ship speed in series over short period of acceleration)
^screen shots because lazy

Last edited by ChaosTheory123 on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 02:05 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 01:57 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Chaos you also had turbolasers firing at FTL speeds in ROTS...or well the novel anyway.

Plus in various sources turbolasers are noted as FTL so there's no questioning it really...they are.

As far as personal blasters go, they should be the same, or at least rifles as Slugthrower rifles considering in Shatterpoint, they were noted as firing hypersonic bullets.

Now this is scaling, but considering the fact that

1. Blasters became the dominant weapon of SW, being much stronger, more accurate and so on, whereas Slugthrowers became pretty much pointless save for a few interesting quirks. It stands to reason that blaster rifles would have the same speed, being the superior weapon.

2. If blaster bolts were indeed slower, than Jedi would literally have no problems reacting or blocking many of them.

Considering that Jedi are trained to block Slugthrower bullets, you had a nameless Je'daii block a slug, you have Mace Windu blocking hails of hypersonic bullets and you had a Jedi Knight tagging slugs with her dual blaster pistols. If the bolts were indeed slower there, then she wouldn't have tagged any slugs.

I think it's safe to say that

Blasters are = to Slugthrowers in speed, yet superior to them in damage and accuracy. It doesn't always need to be flat out spelled out.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 02:33 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Chaos you also had turbolasers firing at FTL speeds in ROTS...or well the novel anyway.

Haven't picked up the novel yet

Didn't know that one

Cool

quote:
Plus in various sources turbolasers are noted as FTL so there's no questioning it really...they are.

Tends to be why I like using them as a measuring stick for some speed feats if I see them.

quote:
As far as personal blasters go, they should be the same, or at least rifles as Slugthrower rifles considering in Shatterpoint, they were noted as firing hypersonic bullets.

I know

Hell, nothing I posted contradicts the idea

Just establishes a possible level of hypersonic if you take the shit I linked at face value

I don't exactly balk at the idea of high end speed in star wars and all :maybe

Unless this comment was geared toward my jab at FTL ships outside of hyperspace? Which they accomplished in TCW when traveling through that one nebula IIRC.

That doesn't hold water, but ultimately holds no sway on determining blaster speed.

I just mentioned it as high end trivia

Last edited by ChaosTheory123 on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 02:42 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 02:40 AM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Haven't picked up the novel yet

Didn't know that one

Cool

Tends to be why I like using them as a measuring stick for some speed feats if I see them.

I know

Hell, nothing I posted contradicts the idea

Just establishes a possible level of hypersonic if you take the shit I linked at face value

I don't exactly balk at the idea of high end speed in star wars and all :maybe

Unless this comment was geared toward my jab at FTL ships outside of hyperspace? Which they accomplished in TCW when traveling through that one nebula IIRC.

That doesn't hold water, but ultimately holds no sway on determining blaster speed.

I just mentioned it as high end trivia

Nah the post wasn't directed at you, or well just the ROTS bit.

The rest was more just a general posting of sorts.

Edit: Wait actually the novel says the ships exchanged fire at near lightspeeds.

Still though the various sourcebooks are still good enough. Plus I'm sure there are other instances in the novels anyway, too lazy to look though.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 02:49 AM
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Fair enough on all accounts

And I can appreciate the laziness :maybe

Now off to kill a migraine with some sleep

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 02:55 AM
Revanchiste

Re: blaster as speed of light?

Originally posted by WildBantha88
i believe I heard this stated before but Idk where. Does anyone know where this was stated and if you do can you provide me with the quote?

Blaster = speed of a blaster shot.. No speed of light....

Turbolaser = Blaster technology it really high speed but not peed of light....
You can dodge the shot.... Rellok the assault on the death star.. Espisode IV...

Last edited by Revanchiste on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 07:18 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 07:16 AM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Re: Re: blaster as speed of light?

Originally posted by Revanchiste
Blaster = speed of a blaster shot.. No speed of light....

Turbolaser = Blaster technology it really high speed but not peed of light....
You can dodge the shot.... Rellok the assault on the death star.. Espisode IV...

No Turbolasers are speed of light. This is stated

The only reason the X-wings were able to avoid the turbolasers aboard the DS was because

1. The DS was designed around large scale assaults, this was noted even in the movie. Meaning it was for taking on big ships/fleets and the like, slow moving targets.

2. The X-wings were moving in irregular and wild patterns making them unpreditable and thus the gunners were unable to get clear shots.

3. The DS turbolasers had a slow rate of fire, but were extremely powerful. The X-wings were small and agile.

A pilot can't outright dodge a turbolaser shot. Starfighters have the advantage of being able to avoid them due to their own fast engines and being small enough to avoid before being hit and moving in wild patterns to throw off the aiming, but they aren't outright dodging the shot itself.

Heck this was shown in TPM and to a lesser extent ANH, a Naboo pilot was instantly killed unable to avoid a turbolaser blast, Porkins was killed and in ROTJ an X-wing was completely obliterated by a turbolaser shot.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 12:07 PM
Revanchiste

The N-1 Go much faster tha the X-Wing and the tie fighter at the expanse of manouverability...
But it compensate by gigh quality stabilisator... That allow experimented pilot to do some flip back etc...

The turbolaser speedat been stated and unstated this pretty much unclear...
But we kept the idea of Near light speed or 1/3 lightspeed... for human reflex it's he same....
Only longue range turbo-laser shot go at light speed in my version = what I have understand and counclued.....
The idea if this a beam even if it go at light speed you can see it.... If it's a shot you cannot see it at light speed.... That's why Longue range turbolaser are stealth and costly in energy...

Laser are pretty good and also more powerfull than blaster and advanced blaster tech....
I'm talking about LAAT laser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMrr6BuSVWM
It may cost more ernegy... But at least.... when it's not durasteel or big ass ship it do more dammage....
It encounter difficultye against durasteel and beskar hull.... and also phris and cortosis but blaster tech too...
Well to dammage bigger durasteel hull of big ass ship better rely on turbo laser....

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 03:02 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote:
Like most energy weapons, turbolasers directed invisible beams at lightspeed. The 'bolt' seen when fired was actually a glowing pulse travelling along the beam at less than lightspeed.

- Fact File 16

It seems clear cut to me. The shot is lightspeed, what is actually seen is something that follows the beam at less than lightspeed.

Also the N-1 isn't that much faster than an X-wing and the TIE fighter is faster than both the N-1 and X-wing.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 03:16 PM
Revanchiste

Star fighter and X-wing = peugeot 207 V.S Berline.
N-1= Rolls roys.

N-1 engine = just pure power. That's it..

May the Tie engine make the tie fast and agile... If the tie had the size of a N-1 and was made of royal chrome wich his really heavy... He wouldn't be so fast and agile.

N-1 Have great state in fire power/speed/shield. He can go at full speed full fire power and full shield at the same time.
The hull can easly handle blaster fire and a lot of energy weapon....

The B-Wing can bring 12 proton torpedos, 4 for the X-Wing, 8 for the W-wing and the N-1 10 and it's not even a bomber...

O.K may the tie defender faster than a modified N-1...

"Like most energy weapons, turbolasers directed invisible beams at lightspeed. The 'bolt' seen when fired was actually a glowing pulse travelling along the beam at less than lightspeed.

- Fact File 16"

Well there is a lot of retconny period for star war technology....the explanation often change for sensible subject..

Like for the explosion in space it was the Radio system that retcon this fact... and XWA confirm it....

But now every moovie do the same so that's a clichée necessary for the action than all moovie use.. And it don't pause any problems...

Last edited by Revanchiste on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 04:43 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:38 PM
Zenwolf

I'm not sure where you are going with this N-1 Starfighter thing, I know it's a great ship.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:40 PM
Revanchiste

O;k stop with the N-1. I just use the joke to troll the guy who are.... Hey Tie fighter the best !
No X-Wing the best And I am hey N-1 the best !

Well to ad to the retconny period.. Light saber had an hard time too...

Actual empire at war canon mod and KotOR one with taris scene just don't feet what it said about turbo laser....
Ha in the old time it was up to guy like us to find the best retcon ever and it was true competition that could last for years...
Ha old time sniff...
If the actual explanation don't held you have to find a better one...

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:49 PM
Darth Abonis

Slow enough for a human male to dodge lol

Old Post Mar 24th, 2015 12:30 AM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Lasers and Turbolasers are.

Blaster bolts from personal weaponry are hypersonic, if going by Slugthrowers spitting out hypersonic slugs. Although this, I would just take that rifles are, pistols however I don't think so. You could probably say they are though, but I'm none too sure on it really as far as blaster pistols go.
could provide the quote that states Slugthrowers are hypersonic

Old Post Mar 24th, 2015 05:20 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

I remember now than there is an E-WEB model that fire invisible light speed turbolaser shot at high rating...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2015 06:05 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by WildBantha88
could provide the quote that states Slugthrowers are hypersonic

Sure.

quote:

He dived into the street. He rolled, coming up to slam her hip joint with his shoulder. The impact folded her over him; he lifted her, turned, and sprang back for the corner. Bright flares of blaster bolts bracketed invisible sizzles and finger snaps of hypersonic slugs.

- Taken from Shatterpoint.[/url]

[QUOTE]
The compound flooded with smoke and flame, with flashes of blaster bolts and snarls of hypersonic slugs. Mace paced through it all with relentless calm, his only expression a slight frown of concentration, his blades weaving an impenetrable web of lightning.

- Same book

Old Post Mar 24th, 2015 06:24 PM
Revanchiste

Denpending of the period where the game/novel came out.... It can change....
However it depend of the blaster quality...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2015 07:13 PM