KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » FTL reflexes for Jedi?

FTL reflexes for Jedi?
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Merchant

FTL reflexes for Jedi?

I know it's sort of controversial on this site, but do you believe Jedi have FTL reflexes? In the Legends continuity there are many instances of that being the case, here's an example:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Remote

The onboard computer housed inside a remote was programmed with numerous combat drills. Each drill ended after a preset time or when a score had been reached. The trainee would set their blaster to emit only light, so as not to damage the remote. The sensors on the remote automatically detected light and scored it as a hit.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 05:53 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Jedi sense things before they happen... So yeah, FTL.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 06:40 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

It's called precognition. We knew about it from A New Hope.

The Jedi's reflexes react to the precognative flashes, using knowledge of stuff before it happens.

They begin acting before the events. That's how it works.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 06:43 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Re: FTL reflexes for Jedi?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Merchant
I know it's sort of controversial on this site, but do you believe Jedi have FTL reflexes? In the Legends continuity there are many instances of that being the case, here's an example:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Remote

The onboard computer housed inside a remote was programmed with numerous combat drills. Each drill ended after a preset time or when a score had been reached. The trainee would set their blaster to emit only light, so as not to damage the remote. The sensors on the remote automatically detected light and scored it as a hit.

Their reflexes are more WTF than FTL.
But's that's my opinion....

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 12:01 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Revan

Revan at least have FTL reflexes XD it is staten !!!

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 03:29 PM
Click here to Send Revanchiste a Private Message Find more posts by Revanchiste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Jax glanced down at the weapon, saw his distorted image staring back at him from the blade's surface. "Yeah? How do you know th¯?"

I-Five suddenly whipped up his left hand, index finger extended, and fired a laser beam at Jax. The laser beam splashed off the ionized fire that suddenly coated the length of the blade, which Jax had automatically raised to block the beam.

"That's how," I-Five said. "The speed of light is just under three hundred kilometers per second. You are currently seven-point-three meters from me. Your Force-augmented anticipatory reflex action obviously is working fine. You just have to let them."

¯Star Wars: Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 07:18 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

^ That's pretty fantastic.

Also puts the "are blasters FTL" argument to bed, I guess.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 07:44 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 08:26 PM
Zenwolf

I'm sure Xesh also at some point messed around with a laser, ILS would know so...yeah, Jedi/Sith see things before they happen so...of course they should be able to block lasers if trained enough.

Also what argument Tzeen?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 08:36 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Revanchiste

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 10:26 PM
Revanchiste

Recah thread limitation and tommorow I will surrly forget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qAKXK_aLeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfiaGungQsg

Last edited by Revanchiste on Mar 26th, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 10:43 PM
Raptor22

Originally posted by WildBantha88
Jax glanced down at the weapon, saw his distorted image staring back at him from the blade's surface. "Yeah? How do you know th¯?"

I-Five suddenly whipped up his left hand, index finger extended, and fired a laser beam at Jax. The laser beam splashed off the ionized fire that suddenly coated the length of the blade, which Jax had automatically raised to block the beam.

"That's how," I-Five said. "The speed of light is just under three hundred kilometers per second. You are currently seven-point-three meters from me. Your Force-augmented anticipatory reflex action obviously is working fine. You just have to let them."

¯Star Wars: Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows
i think that robot might have his numbers wrong. The speed of light is much faster than that.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

According to nasa its 300,000 km/sec, and moving at lights speed u could cirlce the earth in 1/7 of a second. I dont think jedi can move that fast.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 10:57 PM
Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Not really, that was just a misquote:
"That's how," I-Five said. "The speed of light is just under three hundred thousand kilometers per second. You are currently seven-point-three meters from me. Your Force-augmented anticipatory reflex action is obviously working fine. You just have to let it."

And that's nothing new anyway, precog has always been a thing and Jedi have always blocked blasters even in close range.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 11:16 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

Olaus Roemer, not NASA. But yes, it's 299,792,458 m/s.

Anyway the jedi don't react that fast, they react before the shot is fired, then move at stupid speeds. That's the only logical explanation anyway. If you can call it logical.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 11:20 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I just go with 186,000 miles per second, seems like a nicer number.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 11:29 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Selenial
Anyway the jedi don't react that fast, they react before the shot is fired, then move at stupid speeds. That's the only logical explanation anyway. If you can call it logical.

Well that is what anticipatory reflex means. Anticipate and act accordingly.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 11:34 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Yeah, even Luke was doing it aboard the Falcon during his training with Obi-Wan.

quote:
Moving slowly to one side in an effort to get around the ball's fore sensors, Luke drew the saber back preparatory to striking. As he did so the ball darted in behind him. A thin pencil of red light jumped from one of the antennae to the back of Luke's thigh, knocking him to the deck even as he was bringing his saber around-too late.

Rubbing at his tingling, sleeping leg, Luke tried to ignore the burst of accusing laughter from Solo. "Hocus-pocus religions and archaic weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side," the pilot sneered.

"You don't believe in the Force?" asked Luke, struggling back to his feet. The numbing effect of the beam wore off quickly."

The old man's voice had dropped to a mesmerizing buzz. As he finished, the chrome bulb darted at Luke. Dazed by Kenobi's hypnotic tone, Luke didn't see it charge. It's doubtful he saw much of anything with clarity. But as the ball neared, he whirled with amazing speed, the saber arcing up and out in a peculiar fashion. The red beam that the globe emitted was neatly deflected to one side. Its humming stopped and the ball bounced to the deck, all animation gone.

Blinking as if coming awake from a short nap, Luke stared in absolute astonishment at the inert remote.

- ANH novel

The Remotes having laser emitters.

quote:
This remote is a 15 centimeter sphere that is covered with maneuvering thrusters, laser emitters and sensors.

- Taken from Essential Guide to Weps & Tech

So yeah, it's a precog thing. But it's pretty impressive still though, it's just not as impressive because they see it before it happens.

Interesting though that this is what Jedi train on to improve their precog though, even as younglings.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2015 11:48 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoke123

Darth Vader Reacted to and telekinetically froze the I-Five's lasers, which were explicitly stated to move at the speed of light, 300,000 kilometers per second

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 11:12 AM
Click here to Send snoke123 a Private Message Find more posts by snoke123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

And there are many instances of jedi being said to react in "nanoseconds" which would make them as fast as, if not faster than, the speed of lifgt. Revanchiste linked a page from the vs battles wiki, but if you go to battledome wiki or deathbattle wiki, you'll find tons of these calculations which put jedi at FTL speeds. And Mace and Sidious were moving faster than Anakin could even see, and Luke managed to move so fast that it looked like he was using 20 lightsabers at once.

It depends what you want to think, really, because the case can be made that it's hyperbole, and the case can be made that they really do move that fast.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2018 11:00 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote