KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Greatest Lightsaber instructor

Greatest Lightsaber instructor
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Greatest Lightsaber instructor

Every era has it's own master duelists and greatest fighters, but which ones in the SW myths stand out as the best instructors? Who has produced the best students as duelists, and what makes their teaching style so effective? Who were the greatest teachers of their eras/all time?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 8th, 2015 11:58 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Not Jun Seros.

Old Post May 8th, 2015 11:58 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I hear Soara Antana is good. I don't know where she stands in the grand scheme of things, though.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 12:00 AM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably Sidious.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 12:01 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Cin Drallig turned out promising students such as Obi-Wan and Anakin and he himself was trained by Yoda in saber combat. I'd say he's pretty good on the list for Greatest Instructors.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 03:53 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Yoda by far. Aside from personally training Luke, Kit Fisto, Ki-Adi, Cin, and Dooku who would go on to train hundreds if not thousands of pupils. He also trained thousands of Younglings in Form I. In terms of quality and quantity of students produced Yoda is king.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 9th, 2015 07:20 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Yoda by far. Aside from personally training Luke, Kit Fisto, Ki-Adi, Cin, and Dooku who would go on to train hundreds if not thousands of pupils. He also trained thousands of Younglings in Form I. In terms of quality and quantity of students produced Yoda is king.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 07:22 PM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vorpal Ruin
Jedi Master

Luke has trained a lot of skilled jedi.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 08:11 PM
Click here to Send Vorpal Ruin a Private Message Find more posts by Vorpal Ruin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Dark Lady's a pretty good one, all her students turned out badass, and without having to spend a decade+ on each. Ki-Adi-Mundi, A'Sharad Hett, Jon Antilles, and Aurra Sing. I think it says something that the *weakest* of those in a duel is probably Aurra Sing.

That's something of a mixed result in my book. Sure, he's trained some very good students, but plenty of weaker ones too, it's not consistent results, it's doing quantity which catches a wide range.

And some of those almost certainly learned most of their saber skills from elsewhere. Youngling training may be the basics, but personal masters probably get more credit in sabers. Heck, Yoda didn't appear to teach Luke much in sabers at all, just the force in general.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 08:44 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Gnot-Dural is pretty notable

Old Post May 9th, 2015 09:06 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sidious is probably the best instructor, or at least a contender for the no.1 spot, as far as the quality of personal training and development is concerned. His methods are exceedingly brutal, his level of martial knowledge and proficiency is almost without equal, and he adapts his training specifically to the student in order to yield the best results possible. As a result? Maul becomes one of the best duelists in the mythos at the age of 22, along with being in almost perfect physical shape, as well as a master of two of the hardest lightsaber disciplines and unarmed combat on top of that. And that was because of everything Sidious taught Maul, the challenges he set out for him, or training he specifically chose for Maul to undertake. Haven't seen anyone else do it better.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 09:11 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

No love for Kas'im?

Old Post May 9th, 2015 09:20 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Unless Yoda improved as a Lightsaber instructor in the last few years of the Republic, Soara>Yoda as a lightsaber instructor tbh.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post May 9th, 2015 09:23 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

DOE Bane was a mediocre duelist at best, and given how shit the brotherhoods Swordsmen were and how desperate they became towards the end of the war- it's obvious Kas'im was a horrible teacher.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post May 9th, 2015 10:04 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Soara, Yoda, Dooku, Bulq, Vodo, Kas'im, Cin, Anoon and possibly Kreia are some.of my personal favorites.

Old Post May 9th, 2015 10:57 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by ILS
Sidious is probably the best instructor, or at least a contender for the no.1 spot, as far as the quality of personal training and development is concerned. His methods are exceedingly brutal, his level of martial knowledge and proficiency is almost without equal, and he adapts his training specifically to the student in order to yield the best results possible. As a result? Maul becomes one of the best duelists in the mythos at the age of 22, along with being in almost perfect physical shape, as well as a master of two of the hardest lightsaber disciplines and unarmed combat on top of that. And that was because of everything Sidious taught Maul, the challenges he set out for him, or training he specifically chose for Maul to undertake. Haven't seen anyone else do it better.

I will mention that one thing that helps those results is Sidious spent all his effort on training one person for over a decade and a half.

High level Jedi never spend that much focus on one person.

That said, "Spends a lot of time on each student" is certainly no minus!

Old Post May 10th, 2015 07:34 AM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Q99
Dark Lady's a pretty good one, all her students turned out badass, and without having to spend a decade+ on each. Ki-Adi-Mundi, A'Sharad Hett, Jon Antilles, and Aurra Sing. I think it says something that the *weakest* of those in a duel is probably Aurra Sing.

That's something of a mixed result in my book. Sure, he's trained some very good students, but plenty of weaker ones too, it's not consistent results, it's doing quantity which catches a wide range.

And some of those almost certainly learned most of their saber skills from elsewhere. Youngling training may be the basics, but personal masters probably get more credit in sabers. Heck, Yoda didn't appear to teach Luke much in sabers at all, just the force in general.

He also trained Mace Windu. Which means all of the foremost masters of the VII forms sans form VI are in Yoda's lineage.
I- Kit Fisto
II Dooku
III Kenobi
IV Yoda himself
V Anakin
VII Mace

What other instructor in history can say that?

The North Remembers

Old Post May 10th, 2015 03:24 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Q99
I will mention that one thing that helps those results is Sidious spent all his effort on training one person for over a decade and a half.

High level Jedi never spend that much focus on one person.

That said, "Spends a lot of time on each student" is certainly no minus!
Well, someone who spreads themselves too thin couldn't be considered the "greatest" instructor, IMO. I just think with Sidious it's pretty clear cut; he took an infant and turned him into one of the best within 16ish years of training. All of the credit goes to Sidious, which is important.

And when you think about it, if Sidious took on another student after Maul was finished, it'd just be another 15ish years before we have another nigh-immaculate fighter. It's just that he only needed one.

Old Post May 10th, 2015 03:42 PM
Q99

He also trained Mace Windu. Which means all of the foremost masters of the VII forms sans form VI are in Yoda's lineage.

What other instructor in history can say that?

But... that's simply because he trained *everyone*. He wasn't the primary instructor of most of those.

Anakin learned from Kenobi from the start of his training. Kenobi learned from Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon learned from Dooku. Dooku's master was Thame Cerulian (though apparently not near as good a duelist, so we don't know his influences all that well). Windu, I don't know if we know who his primary trainer was, though T'ra Saa did handle some of it, but he developed his form with help of Sora Bulq.

There's a difference between did-part-of-someone's-instruction and being their lightsaber instructor.

quote:
ILS

Well, someone who spreads themselves too thin couldn't be considered the "greatest" instructor, IMO. I just think with Sidious it's pretty clear cut; he took an infant and turned him into one of the best within 16ish years of training. All of the credit goes to Sidious, which is important.

And when you think about it, if Sidious took on another student after Maul was finished, it'd just be another 15ish years before we have another nigh-immaculate fighter. It's just that he only needed one.

Yep, exactly.

He was really lucky to find someone as skilled as Dooku after he lost Maul, because making one takes a lot of effort.

Old Post May 10th, 2015 05:06 PM
Hero of Python
Deanmon

What about Master Zhar?

Old Post May 10th, 2015 06:08 PM
Click here to Send Hero of Python a Private Message Find more posts by Hero of Python Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote