KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Ranking the Criminal Underworld....

Ranking the Criminal Underworld....
Started by: Zenwolf

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Shadow Collective should be on that list somewhere tbf

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jun 17th, 2015 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Zann Consortium reigns supreme imo. I can't think of a single other underground that wielded a fleet that wouldn't immediately retreat when an Executor-class Star Dreadnought + Supporting fleet showed up. That includes the Black Sun.

The North Remembers

Old Post Jun 17th, 2015 11:10 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Zann Consortium reigns supreme imo. I can't think of a single other underground that wielded a fleet that wouldn't immediately retreat when an Executor-class Star Dreadnought + Supporting fleet showed up. That includes the Black Sun.

Thing is, Zann only was supreme after the fact BS and Hutts went under.

That and I'm kinda skeptical in approving of it, because for the most part it's appeared all of once...in FoC and like, nowhere else in lore.

It's mentioned in the Falcon novel but really just as a passing mention...so it seems to me it's not that big a thing.

Plus Zann got rid of the Star Dreadnought anyhow.

That and Tyber Zann was impressed with only billions of credits.

quote:
"Do you see Uri? Billions of credits, technical data horded for decades, priceless works of art. There is more wealth in these hidden vaults than even I can imagine."

- Tyber Zann

Xizor and the Black Sun literally has limitless credits and power to do whatever they wished.

I mean if you wanna include the Zann Consortium go ahead, but I don't think it would be number 1.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2015 11:22 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WildBantha88

Originally posted by Zenwolf

That and I'm kinda skeptical in approving of it, because for the most part it's appeared all of once...in FoC and like, nowhere else in lore.

It's mentioned in the Falcon novel but really just as a passing mention...so it seems to me it's not that big a thing.

Xizor and the Black Sun literally has limitless credits and power to do whatever they wished.

I mean if you wanna include the Zann Consortium go ahead, but I don't think it would be number 1.
Well Tyber also made Jabba his ***** so there is that

Old Post Jun 17th, 2015 11:48 PM
Click here to Send WildBantha88 a Private Message Find more posts by WildBantha88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by WildBantha88
Well Tyber also made Jabba his ***** so there is that

True but so did Xizor. :P

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 12:13 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Why is that relevant? We're talking about each Underworld power in their prime aren't we? Even before that Zann was clashing with Grand Admiral Thrawn. None of the other factions would ever risk an open space battle with the Empire.

quote:

I mean its still canon though. If you don't wanna take feats from FoC, then the Consortium has virtually no feats.

quote:

Mmmm...it was pretty big.
quote:

With his fleet...which is impressive.

quote:

And a million clone troopers were enough to bring the galaxy to heel. Come on bro, everyone knows in Star Wars numbers are just a placeholder for 'stupid big'.

quote:

They are certainly #1 if we include them bro. Tyber Zann and Urai made Jabba their *****, defeated Grand Admiral Thrawn in a Space Battle +maintained a powerful network capable of overthrowing planetary governments.

The North Remembers

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 12:46 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Zann didn't best Thrawn, Thrawn left after Bossk gave him a Sith artifact which he wanted.

Also it's not like the Black Sun couldn't do the same, considering it had resources and powers which were pretty much limitless even far before it's prime pre-TPM.

Plus Xizor made Jabba his **** too.

Both at the height seem neck and neck.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 18th, 2015 at 01:23 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 01:17 AM
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Zann didn't best Thrawn, Thrawn left after Bossk gave him a Sith artifact which he wanted.

Also it's not like the Black Sun couldn't do the same, considering it had resources and powers which were pretty much limitless even far before it's prime pre-TPM.

Plus Xizor made Jabba his **** too.

Both at the height seem neck and neck.

Not...really. I don't think you understand what a big deal it is to down an Executor.

A single Mandator-class Star Dreadnought could take on 1,000 capital ships during TCWs. An Executor could likely easily take on 2-3,000 perhaps even 4. The number of vessels/ power of vessels required is ludicrous. Assaulting any core world is quite the endeavor, let alone Kuat Drive Yards, which had one of the largest defense fleets.

Sorry but that trumps hyperbolic statements about the Black Sun, who at best were nuisances to galactic governments like the Empire.

The North Remembers

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 03:34 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Lord Stark
Not...really. I don't think you understand what a big deal it is to down an Executor.

A single Mandator-class Star Dreadnought could take on 1,000 capital ships during TCWs. An Executor could likely easily take on 2-3,000 perhaps even 4. The number of vessels/ power of vessels required is ludicrous. Assaulting any core world is quite the endeavor, let alone Kuat Drive Yards, which had one of the largest defense fleets.

Sorry but that trumps hyperbolic statements about the Black Sun, who at best were nuisances to galactic governments like the Empire.

I didn't see any large defense fleet either fighting off Zann.

Plus you're forgetting that the Rebel Alliance was involved too.

Now he did take out a Star Dreadnought sure, but this being after he had stole the Eclipse + his own reinforcements helping to take it out.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 18th, 2015 at 04:27 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 04:22 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

It's a fair point, the military arm of the Black Sun doesn't come close to the Zann Consortium.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 09:22 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

In no specific order:

- Hutt Cartel
- Black Sun
- Exchange Syndicate
- Zann Consortium

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 09:32 AM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
In no specific order:

- Hutt Cartel
- Black Sun
- Exchange Syndicate
- Zann Consortium

The Black Sun already surpassed the Hutt Cartel.

Also Beni I can agree to that but military prowess isn't exactly what I'm looking at. I'm looking for what a Criminal Underworld does...which they involve themselves in illegal activities and so forth.

Any faction can have a military if big enough, that doesn't make it an Underworld faction.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jun 18th, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 11:12 AM
Q99

A couple were big, but also comparative flashes in the pan. Shadow Collective was big but temporary, ditto Zann Consortium. The Black Sun and Hutts and even the Exchange were lasting powers.

When talking a criminal enterprise, what matters more? Lasting criminal power, or a single big grab that crumbles away to nothing?

The Hutts are a combination of criminal enterprise and one of the few areas that could be considered separate, largely out of Republic/Empire control (though I think nominally acknowledging whoever's in charge).

The Hutts seemed to have better and more total control of their territory, and have some military, but the Black Sun had a much wider reach and seemed to have enterprises throughout the galaxy, if a lot less direct force. Both did work with each other a lot.

I'm guessing Zann hit it really big with his fleet, but it drew too much attention and was likely smushed. Similar the Shadow bunch. The Exchange almost seems like a precursor to Black Sun- their time overlapped some, but I'm guessing it's just the Exchange went into decline and Black Sun took it's place.

Overall, I'd say-
1. Black Sun. Their wide reach probably means they have the largest income and influence of any.
2. Hutt Syndicate. While not as wide, they still have some fingers out there, plus a good portion of the galaxy where they control the crime more thoroughly than any other syndicate, which gives them a reliable base.
3. The Exchange. A once-rival of the Hutts and the big non-Hutt group before Black Sun, they were eventually replaced but were quite significant.
4. Shadow Collective. They didn't last long at all, but they were impressive when they did.
5. Zann Consortium. Ditto.

Then at 6, I'll add one, the Crucible. A slave-trading and pit-fighting organization originally created by the Sith to be self-perpetuating and turn refugees into soldiers for the sith, they remained fairly hidden and weren't as wide-ranging, but they were secretive, dangerous, and conducted a criminal enterprise for a very long time.

Last edited by Q99 on Jun 18th, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2015 12:06 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote