KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Obi-Wan Kenobi's Physical Strength/Physicality

Obi-Wan Kenobi's Physical Strength/Physicality
Started by: TheNuisanceBird

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Obi-Wan Kenobi's Physical Strength/Physicality

"Though he could be quite stalwart when necessary, his strength was merely baseline." - Jensaarbias-I mean Jensaarai1, Versus Series Strikezone: The Uncut Blocks (Kao Cen Darach Vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi)

The following two are the first two examples that come to mind, both from the ROTS novelization.

"A single slash of his lightsaber amputated the shoulder cannon of one power droid and continued into a spinning Force-assisted kick that brought his boot heel to the point of the other power droid's duranium chin, snapping the droid's head back hard enough to sever its cervical sensor cables."

Compared to other Jedi of his era this is pretty good. If he can cause damage to a spider droid, he should disable an Inquisitor with a physical strike.

This is where it gets juicy:

"But Obi-Wan's arm had the Force to give it strength, and the general's arm only had the innate crystalline intermolecular structure of duranium alloy.

Grievous' forearm bent like a cheap spoon."

For those of you saying this feat "isn't canon" we have this:

https://youtu.be/Q4Rc_3D_0Tc?t=3s

Obi-Wan disarms Grievous which while debatably is indirect, is still a legitimate feat of strength and honestly, I still wouldn't put the cheap spoon feat past TCW Kenobi in the later seasons.

While this is TCW Grievous, I still wouldn't call this "baseline strength" when Kit Fisto chose to avoid Grievous, only engaging when his back was turned and when he got access to Nahdar's saber. Plus TCW Grievous has been shown to be capable of overpower three clones one of which was Commander Cody.

Sorta weird to go back and watch ROTS with the Utapau battle knowing that Grievous and Cody had a physical encounter. lol

During his fight with Maul and Opress, Kenobi manages to block both of their strikes with one arm when he's pinned against the wall, right before he slices Savage's arm off.

Anyways,

During the battle of the heroes, Obi-Wan bowls Anakin over in the junior novelization of ROTS.

"Anakin did a back flip onto the table to gain the high ground, But Obi-Wan had been expecting something like that, and did not follow. Instead, he threw himself into a long slide, bowling Anakin over."

Further more, in the ROTS movie, Kenobi manages to overpower Anakin in a direct contest of strength by redirecting him:

https://youtu.be/xbsBiyG1mnU?t=2m46s

Throughout the fight, Kenobi held his own against a hindered Pre-Suit Vader and while he had to constantly retreat and reposition himself, managed to deal with the power behind Anakin's strikes whereas Dooku could not.

See why this is a big deal in DarthAnt's thread for Anakin's physcial strength here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f6/t636525.html

Where Kenobi hurts himself in the ROTS movie by trying to kick Grievous, this is mostly due to him directly trying to strike Grievous. The spoon feat was where Obi-Wan had caught Grievous' arm.

Overall, as an experienced Ataru Kenobi's physicality or even strength isn't "baseline".

Kenobi could possibly have a physicality advantage over ROTS Vader since he should be able to deal with his strength.

Anyways, I made this thread because I have a lot of time to myself in my dorm and everybody else is off campus or taking SAT's so I can't duel with my friends.

Plus, I felt Kenobi is massively undervalued in terms of his physicality.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 03:23 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Yeah, Kenobi's physical strength is monstrous - something to be expected for someone who fights combatants like Maul, Grievous, and Anakin on the daily. Jen, like usually, is talking trash.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Oct 28th, 2017 at 04:40 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 04:38 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Yeah, Kenobi's physical strength is monstrous - something to be expected for someone who fights combatants like Maul, Grievous, and Anakin on the daily. Jen, like usually, is talking trash.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 04:51 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird

Not sure how his strength would compare to Dooku.

If they dueled I think Kenobi would hold his strength in reserve as a defensive fighter and find it unlikely that Dooku would be overwhelmed by his strength although it could happen in sabers only if Kenobi draws it out.

I'm starting to think that if he fought ROTJ Vader in sabers only a large part of him winning would be being able to meet Vader's strength in a counter offensive.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 05:14 PM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Kenobi's durability is also monstrous:
https://youtu.be/DlJiphrbLyg?t=1m16s

A wrekced Kenobi takes a couple of seconds to get up from two kicks to the skull and one to the chest.

This from a guy who can shatter durasteel.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 06:20 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

And then there's this entire fight:
https://youtu.be/6w2WZzWa7jg?t=54s

It really is amazing how much Kenobi can take considering he's not top-tier as a force user (as of TCW at least).

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 06:45 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird

Originally posted by Kurk
And then there's this entire fight:
https://youtu.be/6w2WZzWa7jg?t=54s

It really is amazing how much Kenobi can take considering he's not top-tier as a force user (as of TCW at least).

The best thing about that entire fight is that while Kenobi was holding back massively to buy Anakin time, it's my theory that he also decided to do it because he knew he could take it.

When it's over he just shrugs it off like nothing happened, causing me to believe he faked injury.

I know the ROTS animatics are far from canon, but I wouldn't put Kenobi's durability feat in the Utapau one where he gets dragged along the ground from hanging from Grievous' wheel bike past him.

The same thing can be said about his dueling abilities. Even if he's not on the level of a higher tiered opponent, he's likely to be able to defend against them.

In sabers only I'd say Kenobi > Dooku and Vader.

Kenobi VS Mace in sabers only is tough though.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:01 PM
BlueTiger1144

Kenobi isn't above Dooku in sabers though.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:05 PM
Click here to Send BlueTiger1144 a Private Message Find more posts by BlueTiger1144 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

In pure sabers I have Kenobi winning against Mace 5-6/10.

Dooku vs Kenobi sabers only would be a boring af fight to watch. Both use defensive forms and rely on counterattacks. When Kenobi breaks his form he loses. When Dooku gets too strained from unpredictability he overextends. A pure saber-fight between the two can't really exist.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:19 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

(please log in to view the image)

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:30 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird

Originally posted by BlueTiger1144
Kenobi isn't above Dooku in sabers though.

Gillard says Kenobi's an eight. If we're following Ant's hunch, Dooku should be around Kenobi.

Mace is an "eight bordering on nine", and I remember Ant showing possible evidence of Mace finally surpassing Dooku in sabers skill.

Dooku could possibly eventually work around Kenobi's Soresu, but he'd likely tire out before he could.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:44 PM
TheNuisanceBird

Dooku vs Kenobi sabers only would be a boring af fight to watch. Both use defensive forms and rely on counterattacks. When Kenobi breaks his form he loses. When Dooku gets too strained from unpredictability he overextends. A pure saber-fight between the two can't really exist.

I wouldn't say so. We may have a better answer if SOD had been fully animated with Obi-Wan's fight with Dooku where Anakin's absent.

I actually think Dooku would attack Kenobi first. Either way, Kenobi should be able to defend against Dooku until he starts to tire.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:46 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

While Dooku likely is a better swordsman than Obi-Wan, it's evident from the ROTS novel he's still incapable of breaking through Obi-Wan's stone-wall. At best, you're arguing Obi-Wan can't launch a successful offensive against Dooku and it's effectively a draw; at worst, Obi-Wan gets through and Dooku goes down.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:53 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

(please log in to view the image)
You'll have to convince me why Kenobi's soresu could not handle a non-vaapad (or at least not as) amped Windu.

"He must have been trained by Count Dooku," Mace had said, "so you can expect Makashi as well; given the number of Jedi he has fought and slain, you must expect that he can attack in any
style, or all of them. In fact, Obi-Wan, I believe that of all living Jedi, you have the best chance to defeat him."
-RotS Novel

If Kenobi's style is best suited for extremely aggressive and unpredictable styles as Mace himself says, why would he lose to Windu whose vaapad relies on the same principles?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 07:59 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The Soresu/Vaapad dynamic isn't relevant here given Windu is already teetering on tier 9.

Their general skill-set would have to be closer for that to be a game-changer.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:02 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by TheNuisanceBird
I wouldn't say so. We may have a better answer if SOD had been fully animated with Obi-Wan's fight with Dooku where Anakin's absent.

I actually think Dooku would attack Kenobi first. Either way, Kenobi should be able to defend against Dooku until he starts to tire.
The problem is that they're both defensive and predictable fighter. If they both know that's where their strength lies, they'll maybe exchange blows and wait for one to become impatient and break form.

Kenobi's soresu is most effective against wild, unpredictable fighters like Grievous and Vader. Dooku is complete opposite of this.

Likewise, Dooku struggles against those who are unpredictable and rely on power-attacks. Kenobi is not this.

So what I'm saying that at the fundamental, theoretical level, a fight between these two could not exist. It would be a passive exchange of blows while they wait for the other to break away from their form due to impatience. In every fight with Dooku, Kenobi was forced to fight offensively along with Anakin. That was his weakness. Because we've never seen him fight Dooku solo aside from SoD, we don't know if he'd take an offensive of defensive approach.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:07 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Soresu/Vaapad dynamic isn't relevant here given Windu is already teetering on tier 9.

Their general skill-set would have to be closer for that to be a game-changer.
What did Gillard say about Mace being a 9? Didn't he say that's only under ideal conditions?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:09 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Nope. In fact, he mostly refers to Mace as a full-fledged 9, with only one interview saying 8 bordering 9.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:11 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Guys, Obi-Wan’s not taking a majority or stalemate against Mace.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:32 PM
Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlueTiger1144

How does Obi Wan's "strength" alone compare to Dooku's?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:49 PM
Click here to Send BlueTiger1144 a Private Message Find more posts by BlueTiger1144 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote