KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Case for the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik

The Case for the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik
Started by: AncientPower

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AncientPower
The Chosen One

The Case for the Jedi Exile Meetra Surik

Unfortunately, due to a single loss in Revan the respect for the Exile has dropped massively. This thread will rectify not only misinterpreted events in the novel, but also establish just how powerful the Exile actually is.

Before we get into the major events of the novel, let's establish just how powerful Meetra was. Even as of the Mandalorian Wars, Revan considers the Exile his most tactically gifted and potentially powerful ally, giving her half of his forces. Before becoming far greater than his greatest expectations.

quote:
Recognising her potential, Revan had made her a general, giving her control over nearly half of the Republic and Jedi troops under his command.
- The Old Republic: Revan

quote:
"I was told you had been cut off from the Force, but I can sense its power in you. I always knew you had great potential, but you have become far greater than I could ever have imagined."
- Revan, The Old Republic: Revan

quote:
"She was a great Jedi. My most trusted ally. History remembers her as the Exile. To me, she was... more."
- Revan, The Old Republic

In fact, the Jedi Exile becomes more powerful than Darth Traya:

quote:
"You are strong... I cannot see as she does, but I know, that in time, you shall surpass her power."
- Darth Sion, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

quote:
"From the moment you awoke, I have used you. I have used you so that you might become strong, stronger than I."
- Darth Traya, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

By this point, after killing Traya, she's even capable of hauling a ship out of Malachor V's orbit to escape.

quote:
"You may take one of the ships that orbit Malachor and depart this place."

Just a reminder of how immensely difficult that is:

quote:
The storms of Malachor V are enough to draw down even the strongest of ships. Once on the surface, there is little chance of escape.
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

Contrary to popular belief, the Exile spends years after defeating the Triumvirate to train the reborn Jedi Order. Providing her years of growth after this fact.

quote:
Meanwhile, the Exile trained new Jedi recruits, forming a council of her companions who achieved mastery and welcoming others who came out of hiding. After years of slow but steady growth, the reborn Jedi Order made a triumphant return to its long-abandoned temple on Coruscant.

But the Jedi Exile could not forget Darth Traya's final warning, suggesting that evil remained in the Unknown Regions. With the Jedi Order flourishing, the Exile left the known galaxy to follow her former commander Revan into darkness.
- Star Wars the Old Republic - Galactic History 83: The Republic Rebuilds

More than that, Lord Scourge states that Revan, the Exile and the Hero of Tython are the greatest Jedi he's ever known:

quote:
"For a time I worked with the greatest of your Jedi heroes: Revan and the Jedi Exile."
- Lord Scourge, The Old Republic

quote:
"Revan was both Jedi Master and Sith Lord. His student, the Exile, defeated the Sith triumvirate. They were your greatest heroes."
- Lord Scourge, The Old Republic

Scourge has no shortage of experience with powerful Jedi:

quote:
As the feared "Emperor's Wrath," Scourge enforced his Master's will for more than three centuries. When a Jedi grew too powerful or a Sith too ambitious, Scourge eliminated the threat.
- The Old Republic Encyclopedia

Indeed, the Exile was a true powerhouse:

quote:
This shouldn't be a problem, however; after all that [the Exile's] been through, [the Exile] should be a powerhouse of destruction.
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide

It's even said Surik may have been as skilled as Revan in combat:

quote:
"I thought that Revan was a singular Jedi, but now there's you. With all our martial training, battles and ethics, even our greatest warriors are no match for you."
- Canderous a.k.a Mandalore the Preserver, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

quote:
"And how do you think Revan and the Exile compare as duelists [...] would she beat Revan in a strictly lightsaber duel?"

"This is similar to my last answer - the Exile is probably more skilled at dueling, but I hate "vs" questions."

- Drew Karpyshyn

So why was Meetra Surik so underwhelming in Revan? Some claim it is the hasty way in which it was written. Others claim the KotOR era characters are overhyped. The truth in fact, is that many have simply neglected to analyse the Darth Nyriss battle.

First we need to take into account the environment:

quote:
"We need to watch one another closely. If Master Katarn could be swayed, then any of us could. Not just Vestara.”
Luke stood for a moment, his eyes and other senses searching the landscape. “Anyone sense anything?”
Ben extended himself in the Force, both opening himself to the vile sensation of the dark side and utilizing his senses—even smell, temporarily at least—to gather what information he could.
“Other than the obvious, which is a metric ton of dark-side energy, I can’t sense anything,” Jaina said.
“It’s…so strong,” Vestara breathed. Ben glanced over at her. Her brown eyes were wide, and her voice was a mixture of horror and attraction.
“Vestara,” Luke said, sharply but not angrily, and she blinked as if coming out of a daze. “Do you sense any signs of the Sith or Abeloth?”
She shook her head, looking more like her usual alert self. “No. That nexus pretty much drowns out anything else.”
Luke and Jaina were fighting back-to-back. The Sith attacking them had two advantages. One was the fact that they outnumbered the two Jedi. The second was that they were being reinforced by the emanations of the dark-side nexus within the temple. It surged forth like psychic sewage, clogging the Jedi’s reflexes as it fueled their enemies.
“I don’t think you did,” Luke replied. “They probably assumed we’d do exactly what we have been doing—investigating planets traditionally associated with Sith history. Khai probably chose this place because of the nexus. They could send a smaller team and still be stronger.”
- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse

So Dromund Kaas, even after four thousand years of abandonment was an extremely powerful dark side nexus. Dromund Kaas during Revan had numerous such sites across Kaas city:

quote:
The dark side power emanating from within the building was undeniable; he had felt the raw, crackling energy every day during his years as an acolyte. He had drawn on it, focusing his mind and spirit to channel the power through his own body to sustain him during the brutal training sessions.

quote:
The temple became a nexus of dark side energy as the Emperor performed rituals within.
- The Old Republic: Encyclopedia

quote:
However, Dromund Kaas remains home to both the Emperor and his Dark Council. Even though the planet is bristling with the energy of the dark side, it is the Imperial military that has the largest visible presence on Dromund Kaas.
- The Old Republic: Encyclopedia

Now, onto the Nyriss fight:

quote:
She raised her free hand above her head and fired off another burst of lightning. Both Scourge and Meetra threw themselves clear of the deadly electrical bolt, but in doing so they gave Nyriss the early advantage.

So in dodging the Force lightning, they allowed her to take them off-guard. An advantage in momentum, not skill.

quote:
Before they could recover, she leapt at them. Despite her withered appearance, she moved with all the speed and ferocity of a dark side warrior in her prime. She landed right between her two adversaries, her blade flashing back and forth in a series of slashes and cuts that immediately threw her two opponents on the defensive.

She leapt inbetween Scourge and Surik before they could recover and went on the offensive, taking advantage of the earlier forfeit.

quote:
Nyriss seized on the opportunity to focus all her efforts on breaking through Meetra’s defenses. The Jedi was clearly overmatched; though she managed to hold her ground, she was forced down to one knee.

So as opposed to being outskilled, Darth Nyriss' Force augmented strength forced the Exile to her knees. On a dark side nexus of such power, that's unsurprising.

quote:
Dazed, he looked up just in time to see another bolt of violet lightning catch Meetra in the chest. Like Nyriss, she threw up a barrier to save herself from the worst of it, but she was still knocked from her feet.

This is one of the most important parts in the fight, Meetra is stated to erect a barrier in the same manner as Nyriss. Which is to mean instinctively and without a gesture. What's important is that this was only a Force barrier, a defensive technique not designed for such attacks. Even Tutaminis is very difficult to use successfully against Force lightning for the most powerful Jedi.

In short, the arguments used against her are largely misrepresentation and a general overestimation of how much an advantage Nyriss had.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 11:50 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ziggtard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Top Kek

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 12:18 PM
Click here to Send ziggtard a Private Message Find more posts by ziggtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Absolutely none of these threads do anyone any favours, since I'm pretty sure all of this is common knowledge. Well, except for this:

"'You may take one of the ships that orbit Malachor and depart this place.'"

Are you implying this means Surik telekinetically lifted a ship? Because, if so, top-kek.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 12:49 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MythLord
Absolutely none of these threads do anyone any favours, since I'm pretty sure all of this is common knowledge.

How do you know? You actually read it?

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 01:00 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

AP must be bored today. Anyway, Meetra is underrated.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 02:01 PM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

I remember that you argued that Nathema influenced her performance,AP.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 02:05 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by MythLord
Absolutely none of these threads do anyone any favours, since I'm pretty sure all of this is common knowledge. Well, except for this:

"'You may take one of the ships that orbit Malachor and depart this place.'"

Are you implying this means Surik telekinetically lifted a ship? Because, if so, top-kek.

Feel free to tell me how the Exile gets to a ship that's in orbit and not on the surface. I'm sure Nova will be amused.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 02:29 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Originally posted by Ursumeles
I remember that you argued that Nathema influenced her performance,AP.

I've got a lot of work done on that front, but I need more KotET quotes first.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 02:31 PM
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

All hail Meetra Fodderik!

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 02:33 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Was that meant to be funny or meant to rhyme? You failed miserably if so.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 02:37 PM
TenebrousWay
God Tier Vaylin

Neither. I was just stating facts.

"On the edge of sanity"

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 03:44 PM
Click here to Send TenebrousWay a Private Message Find more posts by TenebrousWay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthbane77

Meetra is definitely underrated, but I don't see any reason for her to be considered more powerful than, say, Kenobi. Not that ~Kenobi is what you were trying to push or anything, just offering my 2 cents.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 04:18 PM
Click here to Send darthbane77 a Private Message Find more posts by darthbane77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

AP, you do know that the Revan novel isn't "years" after KotOR II, yeah? Maybe while you're trying to cherrypick, you could at least get the dates right.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 04:59 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

IMO, Meetra Surik is on par with Obi-Wan Kenobi in strength but greater in command of the Force.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 06:13 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
AP, you do know that the Revan novel isn't "years" after KotOR II, yeah? Maybe while you're trying to cherrypick, you could at least get the dates right.

The first half cover events 2 years after the events of KoTOR 1. The second half cover events at some point after the events of KoTOR 2.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Nov 4th, 2017 at 06:19 PM

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 06:16 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
The second half cover events at some point after the events of KoTOR 2.

And that "some point" is not even a year after KotOR II, making me wonder why you would even waste your time with such a useless reply.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 06:28 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
IMO, Meetra Surik is on par with Obi-Wan Kenobi in strength but greater in command of the Force.

Agreed

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 10:06 PM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Fresh, that's an assumption that has been factually debunked by SWTOR. It was at least two years after KotOR II that Surik left.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 11:34 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

I'd love the quote for that, AP.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 11:49 PM
AncientPower
The Chosen One

It's in the OP:

quote:
Meanwhile, the Exile trained new Jedi recruits, forming a council of her companions who achieved mastery and welcoming others who came out of hiding. After years of slow but steady growth, the reborn Jedi Order made a triumphant return to its long-abandoned temple on Coruscant.

But the Jedi Exile could not forget Darth Traya's final warning, suggesting that evil remained in the Unknown Regions. With the Jedi Order flourishing, the Exile left the known galaxy to follow her former commander Revan into darkness.
- Star Wars the Old Republic - Galactic History 83: The Republic Rebuilds

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 11:54 PM