KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Snoke's identity *Spoilers*

Snoke's identity *Spoilers*
Started by: Rebel95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

Snoke's identity *Spoilers*

How do you guys feel about Snoke dying without us even finding out who he is or what his background is? I was disappointed, I was hoping we'd get some sort of explanation at least. Maybe we'll get more answers in episode 9

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 09:41 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I didn't care. I've never liked the character as I always saw him as a diet Sidious, so I'm glad they didn't waste time explaining his backstory.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:02 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

The movie (and Visual Dictionary) revealed a lot about Snoke, actually.

Snoke calls Darth Vader as "Lord Vader," suggesting Snoke was of the Imperial hierarchy.

Further, we now know that Ben isn't a Vader fanboy. Snoke is. Ben wants to be like Vader because Snoke will beat his ass if he isn't.

Snoke also has a ring with a fragment from Vader's Mustafar castle from Rogue One.

Then we have Snoke recreating the Empire to a T, from hierarchy (ex. Ben and Hux) to clothing (the purple Emperor advisors).

In short, I'd say it's safe to say Snoke was some dark-side wielding person within the Empire who looked up to Vader and Sidious.

A dark side acolyte similar to those shown in Dark Empire, perhaps.

When they both died, he was determined to recreate their accomplishments and honor their legacy.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:15 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
I didn't care. I've never liked the character as I always saw him as a diet Sidious, so I'm glad they didn't waste time explaining his backstory.

Nah, him not being explained just makes him even more of Sidious Lite. Him having some actual backstory, in the movie, would set him apart.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:16 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

What Im super curious is how Luke and the ot cast already know of him pre tfa. Luke even talks about Snoke corrupting Ben during Bens training as a Jedi. I feel Snoke might have been a Dark sider like Ant suggests, but for a while befriended Luke until he revealed his Dark side inclinations. Why Luke didn't destroy him is anyone's guess.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:32 PM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I think we'll learn more about Snoke in IX. IIRC they already said we would.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:38 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

I like this decision. Snoke reeked of unoriginality and seeing a Palpatine repeat would have been stupid IMO. Hopefully Snoke stays dead and fades away into obscurity where be belongs. Where this movie fails is not building Kylo Ren into a worthy standalone main antagonist. He got close, but after the whole Rey conflict, he turns right back into a pathetic whiny brat unfit to be the leading man.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:45 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

In short, I'd say it's safe to say Snoke was some dark-side wielding person within the Empire who looked up to Vader and Sidious.
you realize that in no way is this an identity, but rather a profile? It's like saying "I know who the killer is! Hes probably a male victim of child abuse who hates women". That's not an IDENTITY.

As for how I feel about the movies refusal to answer literally any of the questions the fans have been asking about for years now? I don't care, because I'm already aware that they're going to explain all of this shit in the 8 million comics and novels they expect you to buy.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 10:53 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

We'll get to know him and his rise through books, shows or whatever. He's like Palpatine, only his fate is different through the TLJ. Although Palpatine didn't appear in ANH and only briefly in ESB so in terms of movietime they aren't that different.

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 11:16 PM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samappo

I feel like, as the OP says, that Snoke had connections to the Imperial Hierarchy from the original empire and to Palpatine. There's just so many parallels in his scenes with the emperor scenes in ROTJ.

Then again, didn't we get hints that he's very very old ? There's not enough information really.

I think there's a clear cut message in The Last Jedi: "Let the past die." Rian Johnson does so much in this movie to get rid of the old cast and original state of affairs. Snoke is most likely a placeholder, someone who took over the emperor's place, who was quite strong in the dark side, and could act as a diet Palpatine.

What's interesting is that he is aware of the balance of the force, "Darkness rises, and light to meet it."

Overall, we will probably have to wait another two years to get any real idea of who he is, unless extra material is released.

The Sith are not placid stars but singularities. Rather than burn with muted purpose, we warp space and time to twist the galaxy to our own design. - Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 16th, 2017 11:41 PM
Click here to Send samappo a Private Message Find more posts by samappo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Well it seems the First Jedi theory is debunked at this point.

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 12:30 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

He was probably one of Vader's stooges. laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 12:34 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
The Immortal Emperor

Don't we already know that Sidious sensed Snoke as some sort of origin of dark side energy in the unknown regions? Doesn't sound like he was directly involved with the affairs of the Empire.

”You presume limits to my power. There are none.”

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 01:14 AM
Click here to Send XSUPREMEXSKILLZ a Private Message Find more posts by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Don't we already know that Sidious sensed Snoke as some sort of origin of dark side energy in the unknown regions? Doesn't sound like he was directly involved with the affairs of the Empire.

Unconfirmed Snoke apologist theory that is clearly bullshit.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 01:20 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Merchant

I don't think that's confirmed.

"Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery -- of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission -- all these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 01:31 AM
Click here to Send The Merchant a Private Message Find more posts by The Merchant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I can't help but think that we haven't seen the last of Snoke, tbh. That is to say: if he is resurrected through *some* means(be them scientific or force-induced), I won't at all be surprised.

I mean, if Maul can inextricably survive getting chopped in half...

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Dec 17th, 2017 at 01:53 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 01:46 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Maybe Snoke was an Inquisitor?

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 01:52 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Or a Dark Side Adept, like the ones shown in RotJ.

https://tinyurl.com/y9b8tvsj

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 02:19 AM
Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Those were political figureheads, no?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 02:26 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Galan007
^ Those were political figureheads, no?

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 17th, 2017 02:29 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote